Report: Paterno to retire at end of season

Joe Pa probably has dementia.

Should have retired 10 years ago. (COACHING FROM THE PRESSBOX INSTEAD OF ON THE SIDELINES

Not sure how much he knew about the sex allegations - I doubt very little if anything

Joe Paterno obviously placed a higher priority on the success of his football team than he did on protecting young boys from the criminal conduct of his coaching staff. Paterno may have been a great coach, but he lost his moral compass somewhere along the way.

Sadly, firing Paterno was not that big a deal. He has already accumulated more money than he could possibly spend in his lifetime. Sometimes I think the only reason he hung in there as long as he did was to get a few more victories to add to his record. Unfortunately, his “win at all costs” philosophy came at a terrible cost to the eight boys who were sexually abused by former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky. I can only wonder how many boys would have been spared their terrible ordeal if Paterno had acted more responsibly.

Far too often, morality is sacrificed on the alter of college sports. It's about time to put things in perspective:

“What is the purpose of a college or university? It is to prepare the student body for the great tasks of life...the last thing in the world a college or university should be concerned with is being number one in football or basketball if the price one pays for that is the corruption of character and the undermining of true student morale on campus.”

- Howard Cosell

The decisions to oust Paterno and Spanier were unanimous, Surma said. Defensive coordinator Tom Bradley will serve as interim coach, and the university scheduled a news conference with him for Thursday morning. Penn State hosts Nebraska on Saturday in the final home game of the season, a day usually set aside to honor seniors on the team.

Provost Rodney Erickson will be the interim school president.
Paterno had come under increasing criticism — including from within the community known as Happy Valley — for not doing more to stop the alleged abuse by former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, who has been charged with molesting eight boys over 15 years. Some of the assaults took place at the Penn State football complex, including a 2002 incident witnessed by then-graduate assistant and current assistant coach Mike McQueary.

PSU Trustees Fire Paterno, Spanier - ABC News

Good. :clap2:

Do they not teach ethics at this University...?

After top Penn State officials announced they had fired Joe Paterno on Wednesday night, thousands of students stormed the downtown area to display their anger and frustration, chanting the former coach’s name, tearing down light poles and overturning a television news van parked along College Avenue.

The demonstrators congregated outside Penn State’s administration building before stampeding into the tight grid of downtown streets. They turned their ire on a news van, a symbolic gesture that expressed a view held by many that the media exaggerated Mr. Paterno’s role in the Jerry Sandusky pedophilia scandal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/11/s...tudents-riot-after-joe-paterno-is-ousted.html

Way to rally 'round the ole pedophile enabler! :cuckoo:

On November 4, 2011, Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly indicted Sandusky on 40 counts of sex crimes against young boys, following a three-year investigation into allegations that he had inappropriate contact with a 15-year-old boy over the course of four years, beginning when the boy was ten years old. The boy's parents reported the incident to police in 2009.[12] A grand jury identified eight boys singled out for sexual advances or sexual assaults by Sandusky from 1994 through 2009.[13] At least 20 of the incidents allegedly took place while Sandusky was still employed at Penn State.[14]

On November 5, 2011, Sandusky was arrested and charged with seven counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse; eight counts of corruption of minors, eight counts of endangering the welfare of a child, seven counts of indecent assault and other offenses.[15] Penn State athletic director Tim Curley and senior vice president for finance and business Gary Schultz (who oversaw the Penn State police department) were charged with perjury and failure to report suspected child abuse by Sandusky.[16][17]

According to the indictment, in 2002 assistant coach Mike McQueary, then a Penn State graduate assistant,[18] walked in on Sandusky having anal intercourse with a ten-year-old boy. The next day, he reported the incident to Paterno, who informed Curley. Ultimately, the only action Curley and Schultz took was to order Sandusky not to bring any children from Second Mile to the football building, an action that was approved by school president Graham Spanier. The indictment accused Curley and Schultz not only of failing to tell the police, but also of falsely telling the grand jury that McQueary never informed them of sexual activity.[19]

Jerry Sandusky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:eusa_sick:

Sandusky is married and has six adopted children.[23] He also took in foster children.[5]

Sandusky wrote an autobiography titled Touched: The Jerry Sandusky Story

:puke3:

This story is a good warning about what happens to societies that make FOOTBALL their unoffical religion.

And believe me, I grew in PA, in a football crazy town.

Football players and their coaches get away with murder.

It's a great GAME, football, but sadly it's becomes something more than just a game.

We see the same kind of sports madness in Europe's football thuggery.

It is a shame that a man ends such a glorious career on such a damning note.

However...what is faaaar more a shame is that a man with such supposed moral character worked next to a child predator for at least 9 years and did nothing.
He deserves this. And more.

It is a bizarre spectacle to watch a fall from grace. But when your castle has been built on sand, it's gonna happen sooner or later.
This really isn't over yet. It's all damage control being done far too late by Pedophile Safe University.
These are the worst crimes imaginable. For so many to pass the buck at the least, cover up and turn a blind eye in the name of protecting good ole' State U....it will not end well for Nittany Lions athletics at the very least.

I was offered both an additional year's worth of college credits (based on my CLEP scores) PLUS what amounted to a full scholarship to go to Penn State.

PENN STATES's obsession Football was a big part of the reason I declined their generous offer.

I'm telling you, although I haven't lived in PA for over three decades, FOOTBALL AS RELIGON perverts that states school systems and it perverts its society, too.

Forum List

Back