Report: Palin abused power, broke no laws in trooper case

He wasn't fired. So, you're wrong. Which is my point, if a trooper like Wooten is on the force, clearly Monegan wasn't doing his job right. Not only that, but there were budgetary and staffing issues that Monegan wouldn't adhere to. Palin had every right to fire Monegan. Sure, there was personal gain involved, but Alaska is an at-will state. She could fire Monegan for whatever reason she wanted. But she DID have adequate reasoning.

What were the budgetary and staffing issues, your just repeating what Palin said, she didnt elaborate on what the issues were so people can make sense of this. She should have just come forward and said the guy is a wreckless ass and was too risky to keep his job, covering it up made it worse.

What were the budgetary and staffing issues, your just repeating what Palin said, she didnt elaborate on what the issues were so people can make sense of this. She should have just come forward and said the guy is a wreckless ass and was too risky to keep his job, covering it up made it worse.

and Bill shoulda kept his dick in his pants----story over.

Next ?

and Bill shoulda kept his dick in his pants----story over.

Next ?

I agree dillo, I also think Obama should have come out and spoke about Ayers a little more even though it came up in the debate(dem primary), I just think he thought it would be suicide because no matter what he would be judged negatively.

REPUBLICAN vice-presidential nominee Sarah Palin used her job as Alaska Governor to get a state trooper sacked, a report said today.

In a 263-page report released by Alaska's Legislative Council following a six-hour closed doors hearing, investigator Steve Branchflower said Governor Palin was guilty of violating state ethics rules for public officials.

"I find that Governor Sarah Palin abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.110 (a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act," Branchflower wrote in the report.

The report comes as another blow to John McCain's struggling White House bid.

As McCain sought to restore control over unruly rallies which have seen a stream of invective, including a death threat, aimed at Democratic rival Barack Obama, the "troopergate" scandal threatened to torpedo his campaign.

In the long awaited report Mr Branchflower said she had allowed her husband Todd Palin to use the Alaska governor's office and its resources to pressure officials to fire her former brother-in-law, state trooper Mike Wooten.

"Governor Palin knowingly permitted a situation to continue where impermissible pressure was placed on several subordinates in order to advance a personal agenda, to wit: to get Trooper Michael Wooten fired," the report said.

"She had the authority and power to require Mr Palin to cease contacting subordinates, but she failed to act," the report added.

Palin found guilty of power abuse | Herald Sun

If you want more on the Obama Ayers distractor:

In a TV ad, McCain says Obama "lied" about his association with William Ayers, a former bomb-setting, anti-war radical from the 1960s and '70s. We find McCain's claim to be groundless. New details have recently come to light, but nothing Obama said previously has been shown to be false.

In a Web ad and in repeated attacks from the stump, McCain describes the two as associates, and Palin claims they "pal around" together. But so far as is known, their relationship was never very close. An Obama spokesman says they last saw each other in a chance encounter on the street more than a year ago.

McCain says in an Internet ad that the two "ran a radical 'education' foundation" in Chicago. But the supposedly "radical" group was supported by a Republican governor and included on its board prominent local civic leaders, including one former Nixon administration official who has given $1,500 to McCain's campaign this year. Education Week says the group's work "reflected mainstream thinking" among school reformers. The group was the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, started by a $49 million grant from the Annenberg Foundation, which was established by the publisher Walter Annenberg, a prominent Republican whose widow, Leonore, is a contributor to the McCain campaign.

(FactCheck.org, which is nonpartisan, also receives funding from the Annenberg Foundation. But we are in no way connected to the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, which finished its work long before we came into being in late 2003.)

For full details, please read on to our Analysis section.

FactCheck.org: "He Lied" About Bill Ayers?

Of course she was vindicated. The report admits she broke no law and none of this can be used against her.

Not only that it broke too soon to be used to tamper with the election like Libs usually do.

With no charges to bring against her all this will do is energize the conservative base.

Are you plain stupid or just so partisan you can't think?

The report found she broke the law.

Always said in desperation...

More in exasperation. The point isn't the Trooper, the point is the report's findings and importantly Todd's behaviour and Sarah's allowing her office to be used for personal interests. I know that the wingnuts can't handle this but I'm stunned at the attitudes. In the real world this message has had a huge impact. It is not a good look. Here, the facts don't matter to the assorted wingnuts, it's just denial and deflection.

More in exasperation. The point isn't the Trooper, the point is the report's findings and importantly Todd's behaviour and Sarah's allowing her office to be used for personal interests. I know that the wingnuts can't handle this but I'm stunned at the attitudes. In the real world this message has had a huge impact. It is not a good look. Here, the facts don't matter to the assorted wingnuts, it's just denial and deflection.

Again I see the effect of you're being immersed in the American left. Wingnut? Hmm, seems you should know me better than that. Oh well. What she did would be deserving of a reprimand perhaps, but she is now running for national office. The partisans got themselves an investigator and now we have a partisan investigator's 'report' which uncovers that her husband made repeated inquiries into investigation of someone he thought was a danger. If his wife wasn't governor, it would be no harm done. However, because his calls were taken, she didn't stop him, she should be reprimanded.

This report is laughable. They came to absolutely no conclusion. They said, "Yeah, maybe she was abusing her power. I mean...she had plenty of other reasons to fire him because he wasn't doing his job, but there's a chance there may have been personal gain involved."

Some investigation.
thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

waste of tax payers money. damn shame

hate knows borders?

btw, thanks rev Wright

No but you can't say he's a American Liberal hater if he's not from America.

Thanks rev Wright?

Divecon, your a right-wing psycho honestly. You cry everyday by neg repping me because I don't give a fuck what you say. Guess what? I still don't.

So guess what Jerry Falwell? You are the definition of epic fail.

not so much...

now the 70 million dollars of our money that the loonie spent going after Clinton just to get a blue dress?

Now THAT was a waste of our money.
i agree that both cases were a waste of money. that's why being a partisan hack is bad

no she didn't. stop being a hater and open your eyes. if she broke one this "investagtion" would now be a criminal one, and it's not

You two time Bush voters are absolute morons, pathological liars, or both.

Do you fucking understand anything about how this country works?

Violating a civil service law is not a subject to criminal courts. Its not a violation of the Criminal Code. Its an administrative violation of legal ethical standards. It not ever going to see the inside of a criminal court. Do you fucking understand this country???

The prosecutor only is authorized to find VIOLATIONS of civil service statutes. Its up to administrative bodies, like the Legislature of the Personell Board to determine when or if administrative sanctions are warranted, for her violation

dude, she was NOT found guilty...

no court has adjudicated this, the report is ONLY OPINION, nothing more and the title is:
Stephen Branchflower
Report To The
Legislative Council

and as to her guilt:

In spite of that, Governor
Palin's firing of Commissioner Monegan was a proper and lawful exercise of her
constitutional and statutory authority to hire and fire executive branch department heads.

.......so she did nothing wrong....political witch hunt

No but you can't say he's a American Liberal hater if he's not from America.

Thanks rev Wright?

Divecon, your a right-wing psycho honestly. You cry everyday by neg repping me because I don't give a fuck what you say. Guess what? I still don't.

So guess what Jerry Falwell? You are the definition of epic fail.
quit bitching about reps
lol and i dont rep you every day and i HAVE given you positive repos before, when you deserved it

and i'm about as far from Fallwell as you can get and not be a brain dead moron lib

You two time Bush voters are absolute morons, pathological liars, or both.

Do you fucking understand anything about how this country works?

Violating a civil service law is not a subject to criminal courts. Its not a violation of the Criminal Code. Its an administrative violation of legal ethical standards. It not ever going to see the inside of a criminal court. Do you fucking understand this country???

The prosecutor only is authorized to find VIOLATIONS of civil service statutes. Its up to administrative bodies, like the Legislature of the Personell Board to determine when or if administrative sanctions are warranted, for her violation
she seems to understand better than you do
and as to morons, go look in the mirror

Forum List

Back