Report On A Conversation With George Miley

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
I spoke with George Miley of the University of Illinois about his most recent tests with palladium zirconium alloys with gas loading. Here are some notes from the conversation and some related information about some of (Dr. Tadahiko) Mizuno’s experiments.
A set of PowerPoint slides here shows his results up until recently. Download the slides here.
See the slides starting at # 46.

slide46.jpg

This does not show the most recent results, which are more dramatic.
Slide 48 shows the overall pattern of the reaction.

slide48.jpg

Note that for ordinary chemical reactions, loading is exothermic and deloading is endothermic. That is not what you see here. In some cases the initial chemical exothermic reaction is followed by a second reaction raising the temperature still higher. This is the anomalous cold fusion reaction. These slides do not show it lasting for long. This is similar to (Dr. Akira) Kitamura’s results.

The slides show early runs. Recently they made a batch of material that works dramatically better. However, they only made one batch so far and they have run samples from it four times. They will need to make more batches to confirm that they can reproduce this improved performance. Miley is “optimistic but cautious” that the next batch will work as well as this one did.

In the four runs they have achieved fairly stable output ranging from ~75 to ~200 W. The runs last around six hours. As shown in slide 48, the sample first self-heats from the chemical reaction. Because the sample is well insulated this heat is enough to trigger the anomalous reaction — when the anomalous reaction occurs. You do not usually need external heating although the cell is equipped with a heater (slide 47).

slide47.jpg

The samples are ZrO2 with 35% Pd loaded with deuterium at 60 psi. They range from 15 to 30 g. The starting material is of high purity and comes from Ames National Laboratory. Additional processing is done at the University of Illinois. Miley thinks that recent success is due to their increased attention to material purity and improved manufacturing methods, and a better vacuum pump. Quote slide 49:

“Most effort has been to develop improved nanoparticles by comparing and down selecting a series of triple alloys.”
They are also making ZrO2Ni, to be loaded with hydrogen. I do not think they have done this yet. We did not talk about that much.

Although deloading is chemically endothermic, in some cases they have seen the heat increased during deloading. This is presumably anomalous heat. Rossi showed a similar effect during the October 6 demonstration. Miles says this is probably caused by flux, that is, deuterons moving through the lattice. It does not matter which direction they are moving. McKubre listed flux as one of the key factors in his “ad hoc” equation.

Calorimetry.
A schematic of the calorimeter is shown in slide number 47. This is a gas calorimeter, similar to the one Mizuno used in his studies with proton conductors. I have a lot of data from that and I am pretty familiar with the characteristics so I will discuss it below.

The temperature is measured at the sample I believe, or anyway, in the sample chamber. When there is heat (chemical or anomalous) you see a temperature difference between the sample chamber and the outer chamber. In Miley’s case, the temperature difference ranges from 100°C to 200°C. Miley described this calorimeter as very complicated and nonlinear. It is difficult to model. The problem is that the ratio of output power to the temperature at the core of the sample chamber will vary depending upon the type of gas you fill the sample chamber with, and the gas pressure.

Based on Mizuno’s data, I agree this is very complicated but on the other hand it is also probably reliable, stable and repeatable. Mizuno tested hydrogen, deuterium, helium, air, and a vacuum. He tested the gases over a range of pressures. He found that when you use the same kind of gas at the same pressure, a given power level always produces the same temperature difference between the inside and the outside. So, when anomalous power produces a certain temperature you can find that point on the output curve and you can say with confidence that it is producing that much power.

Because of this complexity, Miley et al. do not know with accuracy how much power the sample is producing. On the other hand they can be sure it is producing heat because the sample chamber is much hotter than the outer chamber. We know the energy is anomalous, because it produces a much larger temperature difference than the chemical effect, and it lasts much longer: 21600 s compared to 150 s. The anomalous power continues when the heating coil is turned off, so there is no possibility that they are mistaking conventional electric heating with anomalous heating.

http://e-catsite.com/2011/11/08/report-on-a-conversation-with-george-miley/

Last edited:
  • Banned
Can you just boil this shit down for us?
What's the drill?

Professor George Miley of the University of Illinois is also working on "cold fusion", so what they found is with the 4 test done with (the combo) that energy output was 75-200 watts or 3/4th to 2, 100 watt light bulbs would of been lit during the period.
The combo in this case
The samples are ZrO2 with 35% Pd loaded with deuterium at 60 psi.

*Pretty much Miley of the Unversity of Illinois has made his "cold fusion" machine to work at 75-200 watts, while Rossi supposely has it up to 479 kw, which is far, far bigger, but Miley says in his report he could scale it up. This greatly strengthens the case for cold fusion.

"The anomalous power continues when the heating coil is turned off, so there is no possibility that they are mistaking conventional electric heating with anomalous heating."

So this is clear cut to be making cold fusion. I'd have to read up on this a little more, but rossi's machine works from the low nuclear force(cold fusion), which causes one heavy element(nickel) and one light element(hyrogene), which I believe that it added a proton to form copper, so you'd expect to see copper with rossi's e-cat. Fusion within the star burns off of Hydrogen, helium on up the chain pushing outwards, while gravity pulls inwards. Mileys fusion, which is likely to be a lot more open and trustworthly is a different elements it would appear.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Men like George Miley are about as high as you can go within the field of fusion research. There is nearly NO doubt that his research is real and if he is getting 75-200 watts out of his cold fusion then COLD FUSION IS NOW A REALITY. You don't go much higher then him within the field.

Education

B.S., Chem. Engineering/Physics, Carnegie Mellon University, 1955
M.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Michigan, 1956
Ph.D., Nuclear/Chem Engineering, University of Michigan, 1959

Academic Positions

Professor Emeritus, Nuclear and Electrical Eng. - University of Illinois, August 2010 - Present
Professor, Nuclear and Electrical Eng. - University of Illinois, 1967- August 2010
Associate Professor - University of Illinois, 1964-1967
Assistant Professor - University of Illinois, 1961-1964

Major Consulting Activities

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA (present)
Clean Energy Technologies, Sarasota, FL
Dept. of Energy, Idaho Operations Office, Idaho Falls, ID
Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM
Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL

http://www.ece.illinois.edu/directory/profile.asp?ghmiley

I think we're about ready to see the biggest leap forward since The industrial revolution. My guess within the next 3-5 years, we will start seeing huge changes on society.

Last edited:
Impressive, Mathew. Of course, his systems use of Palladium is a downer. Not exactly a cheap substance. However, the confirmation of a working cold fusion system would give a lot of credibility to the Italians claim.

• Banned
Impressive, Mathew. Of course, his systems use of Palladium is a downer. Not exactly a cheap substance. However, the confirmation of a working cold fusion system would give a lot of credibility to the Italians claim.

Theres NO question it's real as this guy is a very serious scienctist within the field of fusion research. I hope Rossi is right as his system is safer and more impressive, but Miley would lead to the same thing with time. Some serious fusion news is breaking before our eyes!

• Banned
I think the biggest news of all is the fact that Professor George Miley made one thing of mixture and preformed 4 test all making electricy between 75-200 watts. He is making another now and should be out with the information within the next few days…The big thing about this is the fact that he is going to give the information to the entire field of science and could offically send the charge that ignites the media and the rest of society to this.

“In a related but still different tangent, results from the research group of Dr. George Miley regarding results of their device with a new batch of material provided by Ahern is expected in the coming days.”
http://e-catsite.com/2011/11/21/defkalion-nearly-ready-nasa-files-patent-piantelli-silent/

http://e-catsite.com/2011/11/08/report-on-a-conversation-with-george-miley/

This is a state university so the results would be made public.
Miley and his students are conventional academic scientists, not businessmen. They have no imperative to keep their results secret. On the contrary they would publish as quickly as they can to establish priority.

I think this is going to explode as one of the biggest news story's of 2011-2012 when the data comes out!

Forum List

Back