Report: Ohio teacher burned cross on kids' arms

Perhaps in High School there's a place for comparative religious studies.

Beyond that, about the only time that religion should be mentioned is in history class where religion so often played a role in what motivated people to act this way or that. (okay, maybe in literature classes because religion is so often embeded in that, too)

Church and state are separated and I personally think that the smartest thing that our government has EVER done.

Perhaps in High School there's a place for comparative religious studies.

Beyond that, about the only time that religion should be mentioned is in history class where religion so often played a role in what motivated people to act this way or that. (okay, maybe in literature classes because religion is so often embeded in that, too)

Church and state are separated and I personally think that the smartest thing that our government has EVER done.

Well, unlike some around here would have you believe, I don't really know many conservatives that wish to combine church and state. Unlike a certain church in Chicago that does not differentiate between its religion and its politics.:eusa_whistle:

I agree with you though, and that was basically what I meant with my statement. Religion plays a big role in Mankind's history, literature and art. Attempting to rewrite history to exclude it is as dumb IMO as teaching religion in science class.

It just comes down to "all things in their place," IMO.

I disagree. Religion as a topic should be offered just as any other topic. It's rather ignorant and neglectful to censor something YOU disagree with personally when it has impacted mankind since Day One right through today.

It has its place. Science class is not it.

Exactly Gunny, in order to teach history and geography, it's important to teach world religion. Not preach it's teachings, but explain what characterizes it as its own religion. That's what I'm talking about when it comes to teaching religion. I'm not incinuating that we have communion during 7th period tutorials....

The students need to learn the difference between Christians, Muslims, Hindu, Buddhists, Judaism, etc...in order to know how their culture operates.

yet "differences" should not bleed into "endorsements". Again, how long would any random small town in the south TOLERATE a muslim using the public school to influence little christian boys and girls into following islam?

yet "differences" should not bleed into "endorsements". Again, how long would any random small town in the south TOLERATE a muslim using the public school to influence little christian boys and girls into following islam?

Shog, nobody is talking about influence. If a Muslim teacher was burning Islamic sybmols into students arms, he/she should also be fired. No one is talking about influencing kids to follow a certain religion. If a teacher was teaching only one religion, I would still have a problem. I'm responding to baseless opinion that religion or types of religion should not even be taught. Could you imagine leaving that up to the parents? THere would be more bigotry in this world than there is now. As long as teachers stick to curriculm and teach (information) and not spirituality and beliefs, then religion is not a problem. Simply teaching kids about muslims and why they live a certain way and have a certain culture is essential to social studies (you should know this). When it comes to history, religion has an enormous amount of play. It has been the cause of wars, crusades, conflicts, peace, events, etc.... To ignore it completely would keep students at the ignorance of their parents.

I just read your fist statement about endorsements, and you're right, teaching information should not come even close to endoresements. And that's exactly what I mean, information is fine, but teaching, preaching, and influencing kids is not fine....

Last edited:
I guess my concern comes into play when siding with a particular dogma. for instance, a christian history teacher convincing a class that the crusades were necessary in order to wrestle jurusalem back from muslims or rationalizing christian attrocities while demonizing the hell out of atrocities enacted by non-christians. Sure, kids need to know why christianity produced the spanish inquisition and the salem witch trials. I guess this basically boils down to if we can trust christians to do their job rather than use public schools as a conduit for recruitment. I have faith (HA!) that most can seperate their personal dogma from their professional role as a teacher. Unfortunately, guys like mr crossburner above come along and ruin it for the masses. The whole Int. Des. thing doesn't help either.

Religion should not be in the curriculum. Religious schools, yes, but public schools? Religion has no place in these schools.
It is up to parents, and parents alone to brainwash their children, not the school, or the church etc.

Religion is a part of the world, plays a huge part in history and politics and must be taught in school. What an idiotic and communistic concept to pretend it doesn't exist.

Religion is a part of the world, plays a huge part in history and politics and must be taught in school. What an idiotic and communistic concept to pretend it doesn't exist.

ok.. then let's dig up some muslims to come teach your kid about world religions, baba. We;ll give him every inch of leniency to express his personal dogma as you hope for christians in the science class.

Hey, I have no problem with classes on religion being taught.
I took a religions course in HS, btw. I believe it was required. We studied CHristianity, Islam, Hindu, Buddhism over the course of however much time it was.

Probably 9 weeks. Less than 3 weeks on each, but still. I'm all for teaching religion, every religion.

Particularly since when people are immersed in information about all of them, they generally choose Christianity.

Revoke his right to teach any where and put him in jail for abusing those children.

I guess my concern comes into play when siding with a particular dogma. for instance, a christian history teacher convincing a class that the crusades were necessary in order to wrestle jurusalem back from muslims or rationalizing christian attrocities while demonizing the hell out of atrocities enacted by non-christians. Sure, kids need to know why christianity produced the spanish inquisition and the salem witch trials. I guess this basically boils down to if we can trust christians to do their job rather than use public schools as a conduit for recruitment. I have faith (HA!) that most can seperate their personal dogma from their professional role as a teacher. Unfortunately, guys like mr crossburner above come along and ruin it for the masses. The whole Int. Des. thing doesn't help either.

Exactly, teachers...(christian or not) should be able to separate their belief and faith from information. I'll be the first to admit that Christianity was the only major religion that believed in forceful conversions. It puts an entirely different spin on things. I think the information is great for students, but the spirituality of it should stay at the house...

Im sure you would make a fine teacher that I would have no problem teaching my (hypothetical) kids, dude.

Have a great evening!

No one is endorsing this teachers actions nor methods. Public schools are not proper forums for the teaching of religion other than it's historical impact on societies. I agree. Teaching the aforementioned should not include endorsing any particular religion.

No, I wouldn't like a Muslim trying to influence my kid anymore than I would some of these people who call themselves "Christians."

now, imagine if muslims had an origin theory that they insist be taught in the science class called Mohammed Design...

now, imagine if muslims had an origin theory that they insist be taught in the science class called Mohammed Design...

Given that Islam is an extention of Judeaism (much like Chrtianity is) they no doubt already have believers who assume that the universe was the result of intelligent design.

Given that Islam is an extention of Judeaism (much like Chrtianity is) they no doubt already have believers who assume that the universe was the result of intelligent design.

I think it depends on whether one's beliefs, whether Jewish (it's Judaism, btw...) Chrisitan or Muslim, are fundamentalist beliefs. The vast majority of people subscribing to any religion probably don't think their holy book is a literal work. I know for certain most Jews think it's allegory.

oh im sure.. but whose gonna stomach the islamic version despite the similarities?

Forum List

Back