Report: Obama Offers to Scrap Missile Shield If Russia Cooperates on Iran

US seeks Russia deal on Iran nuke threat | Iran news | Jerusalem Post

I love it! Use really the only card we have to get Russia to play nice (meaning scrapping the missile defense shield)! I honestly am still wondering why the fuck we care to put a missile defense shield in Eastern Europe! Fuck Europe, let them defend themselves. If we don't want Russia poking its head in Latin American, then we should take out heads out of the Balkans and Eastern Europe.

I like what Obama is doing. "Mr Putin we will scrap the missile defense shield that does nothing for America, other than just piss you off, if you play ball with us on Iran."

Look no true conservative can make a good argument for the missile shield! NONE! First, its not our job to protect the Balkans and Europe from a missile attack, it THEIRS! Second, it will cost America billions of dollars we don't have. Third, the likelihood of a nuke attack on Europe or the Balkans coming from the air is very unlike. If it happens it will be via terrorism. Fourth, even if the attack came from the air, the missile defense shield is very flawed and there is a greater chance a nuke gets through than is stopped. Fifth, all this did was piss off Russia! Sixth, if these can be used to get Russia to pressure Iran, its 100 fold worth it.

Great move Mr. President. I haven't said that in a long long time!

Were you assigned the mission of sending a memo to Hillary??? She wants to spend some money to rebuild Gaza.. should we say Fuck Gaza??? :eusa_angel:

2 separate situations!

and?

hell, he was gonna scrap it anyway
why should Russia take this as a deal
he spent the whole campaign talking about how he was going to scrap missile defense

Yeah. That's what I suspect, too.

He's offering Russia something worth nothing.

If Europe wants to invest Euros on defensive weapons that will not defeat pennies spend on offensive weapons, let them do so.

American cannot afford to do that for itself, so it certainly cannot afford something that won't work to defend Europe, either.

I doubt Russia will take this deal.

They know those shields will fail, too

If they know that it would fail then why do they care if it's erected. Just looking for something to bitch at us about? lol

If they thought it would work, they'd haggle.

After all, it costs Russia very little to abandon Iran in this case.

They don't haggle because what Obama was offering them is worthless, and they know it.

We've got to have Russian coopertation if we expect to to peacefully keep Iran from going nuclear.

Will this work? I doubt it but it's worth a shot.

I don't agree about Russian cooperation. NOTHING is going to keep Iran from going nuclear.

However, I have no problem with scrapping the missile defense system in Europe unless they're paying in cash. Otherwise, we are hardly in an economic position to be giving away anything.

If nothing is going to keep Iran from going nuclear then maybe it's time we try a different approach? Perhaps if we (and I hate to use this word) embraced the idea it may soften their transition to nuclear status? Where instead of it being one day Iran suddenly tests a bomb or detonates one somewhere, it's an expected and controlled situation. I do understand that this would hinge on Iranian cooperation and an establishment of some kind of mutual trust amongst probably a zillion other factors but the other road is an escalating situation that likely ends with some form of conflict.

Here's the real problem. It's not just Iran. In fifty years, any country that wants to spend the money will have a nukes. We can't hide the technology forever; everyone is going to figure it out. And yes, many of them will be countries we would prefer didn't have them. We didn't want N. Korea having them, but were we able to stop them? And they're one of the poorest countries in the world. What about Pakistan? Did we want them to have nukes? Really?

We're going to have to find ways to make certain those nukes are never used. Every country throughout the world will need to find ways to protect their own sovereignty. For us, missile defense should be of the highest priority, but we should be concentrating those efforts to protect American soil, not the entire world, because we can't protect the entire world.

Last of all, it is in our best interests to work as closely as we can with powers like Russia and China. It's the cold war all over again, but this time there are many more players. And whether we like it or not, we are not going to continue to be the sole superpower much longer. We may not be even at this point, depending what you base being a superpower on.

Obama's wish for dialogue and better cooperation has it's merits. At the same time, he is too soft when it comes to our own defense. The best thing we can do looking forward, is to concentrate on our own national defense and attempt to work with the rest of the world on the rest of it. Staying out of other countries politics would be a good place to start. We have a better chance of protecting our interests throughout the world by working with our adversaries while keeping our own country as protected as possible.

Russia tests stealth missile that could penetrate US shield - Telegraph

Ya who needs to protect our trading partners that we depend on for our very existance? I mean really! What a waste.

China and India will be the world's largest trading partners before too long. Europe will be gone as we know within 50 to 100 years, so longterm, they aren't all that relevant.

he spent the whole campaign talking about how he was going to scrap missile defense

If Europe wants to invest Euros on defensive weapons that will not defeat pennies spend on offensive weapons, let them do so.

American cannot afford to do that for itself, so it certainly cannot afford something that won't work to defend Europe, either.

If they know that it would fail then why do they care if it's erected. Just looking for something to bitch at us about? lol

In great part, it's to keep the Russian citizens in line. Russians are proud people who support their government even when that government is screwing them over, at least most of the time. Showing the people how they stand up to the big bad US is a sign of power to the people, and it keeps the people from growing restless with all the other corruption taking place in Russia.

They already work you dumb ass. That is why Russia does not want them in Europe. If they did not work Russia would not care one bit. But hey keep reminding us how smart you really are.

Sorry, but you are wrong on this Sarge.

I think you guys are not following current events and making a judicial assessment from what it foretells.

1) The missle Defense is not meant to protect Europe from Iran or NK

North Korea has no enemies in Europe. In fact, NK biggest enemy is US!!
Concerning Iran, you do understand that they have a Space program.

Repeat--Iran has a space program.
Let me say this one more time:IRAN HA A SPACE PROGRAM

For the clueless, the step from successfully launching a satellite into space to producing a missle that will land in the rose garden is smaller than the step you normally take to get up from, while your feet is on the floor(sit up and stand up are in order)

So the concept of putting a missle defense in Europe makes little sense for Iran since Iran biggest enemy is not any european state--hell, not even Israel-- but US!

In other words, the Missle shield was to garner the Russian attention over our concerns with NK and Iran, not to protect Europe. In fact, if it was to protect Israel, Azerbajan was an ideal place for it, not Poland nor the Czech Republic

Scrapping it was ideal the minute it was mentioned. Why Bush even attempted to give credance to Russian suspension about our motives is beyond me. All it did was prompt animosity between Russia and European states when the real keys on how to handle Iran and North Korea lies with these states (plus China) and not with us.

The best "peaceful" means to handle Iran/NK is through Sanctions. Unfortunately, sanctions work best if the countries placing the sanctions are normally friendly/respected by the nation that is going under the gun. We place sanctions on Iran and NK--they laugh at us

Let Russia and China place sanctions on them simutaneously, Iran and NK will weep like new borns!!

President Obama offered to consider scrapping plans for a missile defense shield in Europe if Russia helps rein in Iran's nuclear program, the Russian newspaper Kommersant reported.

The article said Obama wrote to Russian President Dmitry Medvedev to tell him Russia's aid in resolving the threat from Iran would make the missile shield plans unnecessary, according to an account from Russian news agency RIA Novosti.

A senior administration official told FOX News that Obama sent a letter to Medvedev but "we won't comment on the specifics."

Obama inherited plans to build the system in Poland and the Czech Republic from the Bush administration, but the new administration has equivocated over the project. Though the plans were put in place to deter nations like Iran and North Korea from launching attacks and developing nuclear weapons, Russia has interpreted the planned installation as a threat

Report: Obama Offers to Scrap Missile Shield If Russia Cooperates on Iran - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

DUmmie!

I say good move!
(1) Who gives a shit about protecting Europe? Its not our responsibility, its theirs!
(2) Honestly if Iran tries to nuclear strike Europe, they are going to use terrorism not an air assault
(3) The biggest threat to the world is a nuclear arms race in the middle east. That would start with Iran and then move to Saudia Arabia, Egypt, Turkey and ironically Iraq next. Then is would really start to snow-ball. Like it or not Russia is needed to prevent Iran from obtaining nukes.
(4) If Russia decides to nuclear strike Europe, do you really think this nuclear shield is going to stop it? Star Wars anyone?
(5) This missile shield does nothing but piss Russia off. Is that really what we want? There are far better ways to do that.
(6) Did I mention its going to cost us billions of dollars we don't have.

Last edited:

If they thought it would work, they'd haggle.

After all, it costs Russia very little to abandon Iran in this case.

They don't haggle because what Obama was offering them is worthless, and they know it.
WRONG
the system works, but it can be overwhelmed
it wasnt designed to take on a full scale Russian first strike

you dont seem to know ANYTHING about the missile defense system
much of it has been tested and retested and is in deployment status
and
it WORKS

They already work you dumb ass. That is why Russia does not want them in Europe. If they did not work Russia would not care one bit. But hey keep reminding us how smart you really are.

WRONG, the missile defense system is multi-tiered and even if they develope a missile that can avoid one of the pieces of the system, there is no way they could make a missle that could avoid them ALL

WRONG, the missile defense system is multi-tiered and even if they develope a missile that can avoid one of the pieces of the system, there is no way they could make a missle that could avoid them ALL

Regardless of whether its effective or not, why is it our responsibility to install this to protect Europe! If Europe wants it, why not just let them pay for it and install it?

Regardless of whether its effective or not, why is it our responsibility to install this to protect Europe! If Europe wants it, why not just let them pay for it and install it?
because its a multi-tiered system
you seem to forget that parts of it need to be closer to the origin point

Obama's slogan:

"Trillions for pork, not one cent for defense"

But I'm not sure I would have liked McCain much either. He'd be like, "Hmm... spending as much on defense as the rest of the world combined isn't enough. We need to spend at least twice as much as the rest of the world!" and then put a spending freeze on the rest of the public sector...
Opposing Obama does not make someone a McCain supporter.

I have not voted for a GoP POTUS candidate since 1984.

I don't intend to start anytime soon, as the GoP sucks as much ass as the Democrats.

Seriously--this is the best plan of Obama's yet--at least on foreign policy.

Iran has the oil but they ship it to Russia for refining. Iran has no refineries. Just like President Bush did with NK--you have to get the supporting nations to put pressure on these nut cases to knock it off. After NK fired a couple of missles into the ocean--China had enough & sat on Kim Jung Ill.

All the sabre rattlings from these rogue countries are for one thing only. They want money from us. They want the pay-off & just like Bill Clinton found out--you dole out the money to them, & they break their agreements & start all over again.

Obama is doing the right thing here. Multi-level country pressure--especially from Russia.

My biggest beef with our military spending is that it reduces what other countries must pay for their own defense. Canada, most of Europe, Japan, S. Korea, the Phillipines; they all receive free protection from the US, for the most part. Why are they not footing some of the bill if they want us there? I realize we want to be in those places to protect our interests throughout the world. However, these countries have more to lose than we do and we're footing the majority of the bill.
Not true. The Status Of Forces Agreements are different for every country, but I know Japan helps us considerably. The also helped pay for Gulf War I.

Forum List

Back