Report: Obama aides drafting letter to Tehran aimed at thawing U.S.-Iran ties

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
U.S. President Barack Obama's aides have drafted a letter in his name to Iranian leaders that aims to thaw relations between the two countries, the British newspaper The Guardian reported on Thursday.

According to the report, officials from the U.S. State Department have been working on the letter - in response to a letter of congratulations from Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad - since Obama was elected on November 4, 2008.

The report added that at least three drafts of the letter have been composed. It seeks to assure Tehran and its people that Washington does not want to overthrow the Islamic Republic's regime, but merely change its behavior.
The Guardian reported that the letter would be addressed to the Iranian people and sent directly to Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, or released as an open letter.

The letter is being considered by U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton as part of a review of the new administration's policy toward Iran.
Obama has in recent interviews suggested that his administration would seek better diplomatic relations with Iran.

Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Wednesday that the new U.S. administration must apologize to Tehran over past actions if it really wants to effect change.

"Those who say they want to make change, this is the change they should make: They should apologize to the Iranian nation and try to make up for their dark background and the crimes they have committed against the Iranian nation," Ahmadinejad told a rally in western Iran, broadcast live on state television.

"We welcome change but on condition that change is fundamental and on the right track," he said.

Report: Obama aides drafting letter to Tehran aimed at thawing U.S.-Iran ties - Haaretz - Israel News

Well seems only right! He's been writing to US often! :cool:

Ahmadinejad's letter to Americans - CNN.com

Ahmadinejad's letter to Americans
[Editor's note: This is the full text of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's open letter to "the American People," as supplied to CNN.]

(CNN) -- In the name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful

O, Almighty God, bestow upon humanity the perfect human being promised to all by You, and make us among his followers.

Noble Americans,

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/07/world/middleeast/07iran.html?em

November 7, 2008
In Rare Turn, Iran’s Leader Sends Letter to Obama

By NAZILA FATHI
TEHRAN — President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran sent an unusual letter congratulating President-elect Barack Obama on Thursday for his victory in the American presidential race, even though the two nations have had no diplomatic ties for nearly 30 years.

Mr. Ahmadinejad has written letters to world leaders in the past, including one to President Bush. But this is the first time an Iranian leader has congratulated the winner of an American election, at least since the Iranian revolution....

Ahmadinejad's Letter to Bush - washingtonpost.com

Ahmadinejad's Letter to Bush
Tuesday, May 9, 2006; 2:54 PM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has written President Bush an 18-page letter discussing religious values, history and international relations. Following is an unofficial translation from the original written in Farsi:

Well seems only right! He's been writing to US often! :cool:

Ahmadinejad's letter to Americans - CNN.com

Ahmadinejad's letter to Americans
[Editor's note: This is the full text of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's open letter to "the American People," as supplied to CNN.]

(CNN) -- In the name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful

O, Almighty God, bestow upon humanity the perfect human being promised to all by You, and make us among his followers.

Noble Americans,

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/07/world/middleeast/07iran.html?em

November 7, 2008
In Rare Turn, Iran’s Leader Sends Letter to Obama

By NAZILA FATHI
TEHRAN — President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran sent an unusual letter congratulating President-elect Barack Obama on Thursday for his victory in the American presidential race, even though the two nations have had no diplomatic ties for nearly 30 years.

Mr. Ahmadinejad has written letters to world leaders in the past, including one to President Bush. But this is the first time an Iranian leader has congratulated the winner of an American election, at least since the Iranian revolution....

Ahmadinejad's Letter to Bush - washingtonpost.com

Ahmadinejad's Letter to Bush
Tuesday, May 9, 2006; 2:54 PM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has written President Bush an 18-page letter discussing religious values, history and international relations. Following is an unofficial translation from the original written in Farsi:

Amadinejad writes us these letters because he's too crazy to understand we see the world in an entirely differenct way than he does, but why is Obama writing his letter? I hope it's not for the same reason.

boo fucking hooo. What, does this put a damper on your little plan to use the US as a proxy arm of your zionist military? This may sound like outright antisemitism to you but making PEACE, instead of trying to instigate a fight between your enemy and a bigger dog on the block is a good thing. I guess you'll just have to buddy up with England or something instead. Maybe they will nuke Tehran for you.

I can just see the Iranians recieving the letter and then laughing their ass off about it. I wish it wasnt going to be that way, but I see no reason it wouldnt be.

I can just see the Iranians recieving the letter and then laughing their ass off about it. I wish it wasnt going to be that way, but I see no reason it wouldnt be.

Do you have proof or evidence of any sort that Tehran will laugh off a letter from Obama?

Do you have proof or evidence of any sort that Tehran will laugh off a letter from Obama?

Historical animosity. The fact that President Obama doesnt have a clue what their goals are.

Historical animosity. The fact that President Obama doesnt have a clue what their goals are.

He already told them we won't stand by and take their aggression. But that's no reason not to turn down the rhetoric a peg... or ten. Besides, it may well be we won't be dealing with Ahmadinejad much longer and can start fresh with a less aggressive leader. You know, like they are now in their dealings with us.

Diplomacy doesn't mean that you're taking your eye off the ball. It just means that you're not the schoolyard bully.

and YOU do? Better than a fucking PRESIDENT?

ooohh. ok. Silly us. Clearly we should have asked YOU first. Again, I want one more of you silly bastards to call someone ELSE a racist. Hell, you can stereotype an entire nation of fucking iranians but when the same shit flies your way?

:lol:

epic fucking fail.

Our President is doing something that Saddam Hussein wouldn't do so that means it must be good.

Funny that you bring up Saddam.. given that he specificalyl called out Bush to debate those Phantom WMDs that.. uh.. turned out to be... that he was telling the truth about...

Yet, here we are, ONCE AGAIN, with chicken hawk zionists crying for an attack on iran.. even though iran hasn't done shit to the US in 15 fucking years...

hey, I have an idea.. Let's invade the next country from whom we find another SPY from.. *cough* israel *cough*

Our President is doing something that Saddam Hussein wouldn't do so that means it must be good.

Funny that you bring up Saddam.. given that he specificalyl called out Bush to debate those Phantom WMDs that.. uh.. turned out to be... that he was telling the truth about...

Yet, here we are, ONCE AGAIN, with chicken hawk zionists crying for an attack on iran.. even though iran hasn't done shit to the US in 15 fucking years...

hey, I have an idea.. Let's invade the next country from whom we find another SPY from.. *cough* israel *cough*

So you are fine with Saddam torture chambers but not Bush's water boarding? To group a boy band: Say it ain't so. Say it ain't so.

He already told them we won't stand by and take their aggression. But that's no reason not to turn down the rhetoric a peg... or ten. Besides, it may well be we won't be dealing with Ahmadinejad much longer and can start fresh with a less aggressive leader. You know, like they are now in their dealings with us.

Diplomacy doesn't mean that you're taking your eye off the ball. It just means that you're not the schoolyard bully.

The letter is supposed to go to the Supreme Leader, not Amadinejad, or be an open letter to the Iranian people, so I'm not sure the elections will make that much difference. From what I've read about it, in substance the letter will seek to assure whomever it is sent to that the US does not seek to topple the Iranian regime and it informs them that if they end their support for terrorism, especially for Hamas and Hezbollah, and end their efforts to acquire nuclear weapons in a verifiable way, then Iran will become more prosperous. However, we will continue to have troops in both Iraq and Afghanistan and we will continue to support economic sanctions against Iran and we refuse to take the military option off the table to stop their nuclear weapons program, so how comforting can the assurance that we do not seek to topple the regime be, and surely Iran already understands that if it conforms with all our demands there will be economic benefits, so just what can the purpose of the letter be?

I can see only three possible reasons for the letter. The first is that Obama doesn't expect it to do any good but feels he must send it to keep a campaign promise to try more diplomacy. The second is that Obama has an ego even larger than Clinton's and believes he can charm his way into getting anything he wants. The third is that Obama is laying the groundwork for taking aggressive actions against Iran, perhaps even military force, and he is writing this letter so that he can say, "See, I did everything I could to protect the US and its allies through diplomacy, and Iran left me no choice but the military option" just as Bush took the issue of Iraq's alleged WMD to the UN so that he could say, "See, I did everything I could to protect the US and its allies through diplomacy, but Saddam forced me to choose the military option."

The letter is supposed to go to the Supreme Leader, not Amadinejad, or be an open letter to the Iranian people, so I'm not sure the elections will make that much difference. From what I've read about it, in substance the letter will seek to assure whomever it is sent to that the US does not seek to topple the Iranian regime and it informs them that if they end their support for terrorism, especially for Hamas and Hezbollah, and end their efforts to acquire nuclear weapons in a verifiable way, then Iran will become more prosperous. However, we will continue to have troops in both Iraq and Afghanistan and we will continue to support economic sanctions against Iran and we refuse to take the military option off the table to stop their nuclear weapons program, so how comforting can the assurance that we do not seek to topple the regime be, and surely Iran already understands that if it conforms with all our demands there will be economic benefits, so just what can the purpose of the letter be?

I can see only three possible reasons for the letter. The first is that Obama doesn't expect it to do any good but feels he must send it to keep a campaign promise to try more diplomacy. The second is that Obama has an ego even larger than Clinton's and believes he can charm his way into getting anything he wants. The third is that Obama is laying the groundwork for taking aggressive actions against Iran, perhaps even military force, and he is writing this letter so that he can say, "See, I did everything I could to protect the US and its allies through diplomacy, and Iran left me no choice but the military option" just as Bush took the issue of Iraq's alleged WMD to the UN so that he could say, "See, I did everything I could to protect the US and its allies through diplomacy, but Saddam forced me to choose the military option."

I don't think you're very far off. I think Obama *hopes* it will help, but probably doesn't expect it to. I also think he *does* think he's personally appealing and is better able to work with people than his predecessor. I'm not sure that means his ego is as large as all outdoors. I actually think that history shows us that personal animus between leaders can inflame circumstances. Look at how someone like Reagan relied on his belief in his personal appeal. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. As for your last surmise, well, yes, I think he believes that he has an obligation to exhaust all possibilities before taking aggressive action. More than that, I think he's smart enough to know that, financially, it's in our best interests to resolve things peacefully.

So you are fine with Saddam torture chambers but not Bush's water boarding? To group a boy band: Say it ain't so. Say it ain't so.

Torture chambers are not why the Iraq war was sold to the US. Hell, if we were to attack everyone with a fucking torture chamber THEN YOUR KIND WOULD HAVE NO NATIONS TO SEND RENDITIONED PRISONERS TOO!

Funny you talk about boy bands given your apparent need for a Lou Pearlman figure in your political life.

I don't think you're very far off. I think Obama *hopes* it will help, but probably doesn't expect it to. I also think he *does* think he's personally appealing and is better able to work with people than his predecessor. I'm not sure that means his ego is as large as all outdoors. I actually think that history shows us that personal animus between leaders can inflame circumstances. Look at how someone like Reagan relied on his belief in his personal appeal. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. As for your last surmise, well, yes, I think he believes that he has an obligation to exhaust all possibilities before taking aggressive action. More than that, I think he's smart enough to know that, financially, it's in our best interests to resolve things peacefully.

I think it would be great if Obama could talk Iran out of support for terrorism and it its nuclear weapons program, but it would not be so great if he thought he actually could. But sure, he needs to do something to show he is keeping his campaign promises - politics is a large part of governing - and it would be a mistake not to take a shot at diplomacy before taking more aggressive action, however I have seen no evidence the US is willing to offer Iran anything of substance for its cooperation and I have seen no evidence Iran is willing to change anything.

As for Reagan's use of charm, it was very effective with the US public, but when dealing with the Soviets, he backed up his charm with stinger missiles to the Afghans and massive US military spending the teetering Soviet economy could not hope to keep up with. Charm alone can get you in the door, but it won't often close the sale. US voters didn't ask Obama for too many specifics when he promised change, but after one interview on Arab TV country after country, and even Hamas, is asking, "Ok, Mr. President, exactly what changes are you talking about?"

Last edited:

Torture chambers are not why the Iraq war was sold to the US. Hell, if we were to attack everyone with a fucking torture chamber THEN YOUR KIND WOULD HAVE NO NATIONS TO SEND RENDITIONED PRISONERS TOO!

Funny you talk about boy bands given your apparent need for a Lou Pearlman figure in your political life.

We have political lives? Wow. I didn't know humans have nine lives. Political? Economic? Academic? Spiritual? Religion? Social? Athletic? Sex? And finally: No Life? Which is yours.

To quote Shaq: "Tell me how my ass taste?"
To quote The Rock: "You can take your Lou Pearlman fantasy, turn it sideways, and stick it up your candy ass." :eusa_liar: You
To quote Juvinille: "Back that ass up."
To quote Protecting your data: "Or you'll lose your hard drive."

Okay first point the way the Iranian constitution is set up Ahm-mad-as-a-hatter ain't even in charge of his own ass. He is in fact little more than a human trial balloon for the various ayatollahs that run the place.

P.S. any body besides me have the nearly uncontrollable urge to say Gazundheit whenever his name is properly pronounced?

We have political lives? Wow. I didn't know humans have nine lives. Political? Economic? Academic? Spiritual? Religion? Social? Athletic? Sex? And finally: No Life? Which is yours.

To quote Shaq: "Tell me how my ass taste?"
To quote The Rock: "You can take your Lou Pearlman fantasy, turn it sideways, and stick it up your candy ass." :eusa_liar: You
To quote Juvinille: "Back that ass up."
To quote Protecting your data: "Or you'll lose your hard drive."

semi-creative but still bounces like a flat basketball, dude. work on it and get back to me.

Forum List

Back