Report: Hamas agrees to ceasefire in Gaza

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
Hamas officials told Ynet Wednesday that the group agreed to a ceasefire in Gaza based on the Egyptian truce initiative.

Earlier in the day Egyptian news agency MENA reported that the Islamic group has responded favorably to Egypt's efforts to promote a ceasefire in Gaza, .

"Hamas responded positively to Egypt's attempts to bring an end to the shedding of Palestinian blood, during the talks that were held in Cairo in the last three days," an Egyptian official told MENA.

Egypt's Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit, whose nation has been instrumental in ceasefire talks, said he had received Hamas' latest proposal and would convey it to the Israelis. Without revealing details, he indicated an agreement was near and a Hamas spokesman said the militant group had "no other choice."

Israeli official Amos Gilad is scheduled to arrive in Cairo Thursday for talks with Egypt's Intelligence chief Omar Suleiman.

Senior officials from Hamas' political bureau returned to Damascus Wednesday after meeting with Suleiman. Three representatives from Hamas in Gaza also took part in the negotiations.

Deputy Chairman of Hamas Political Bureau Moussa Abu Marzouk told the al-Arabiya television network earlier Wednesday that the IDF must hold its fire before it pulls out from the Strip.

"Israel did not abide by any of the previous truce's conditions, and therefore there must be a short and pre-defined period between each stage, that would allow us to evaluate the situation and agree to move on to the next stage," he explained.

Report: Hamas agrees to ceasefire in Gaza - Israel News, Ynetnews

Of course, we don't have any of the details about exactly what Hamas has agreed to, so we don't know if it adequately addresses any of Israel's security concerns, and with the the clowns who are running Israel's government now fighting among themselves and sparring with the US there's reason to believe they are capable of a rational response in any case.

from Other Articles I Have Seen Since, It Seems Hamas Has Only Agreed To A 10 Day Cease Fire And That No Real Progress Has Been Made On A Longer Term Cease Fire.

= (

At least it's a start. If I was in the middle of a war zone, 10 days of not being bombarded would be pretty good news.

Last edited:
= (

At least it's a start. If I was in the middle of a war zone, 10 days of not being bombarded would be pretty good news.

The start of what? Imo, Hamas will be less likely to agree to the terms of sustainable truce if Israel gives it 10 days to regroup, repair the smuggling tunnels and smuggle in some more weapons. I think Israel should demand real progress towards a sustainable truce before agreeing to a short term cease fire. If you were in the middle of a war zone, would you prefer 10 days of peace and then renewed fighting or 10 more days of fighting and then a sustainable peace?

Forum List

Back