Report: 90% of youth in Philly cannot serve

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Report: 90% of youth in Philly cannot serve - Air Force News, news from Iraq - Air Force Times

PHILADELPHIA — A nonprofit group says that up to 90 percent of young Philadelphians are ineligible for military service because of criminal records, obesity or lack of education.

Pennsylvania-based Mission: Readiness released its report Monday. It says 1 million Pennsylvanians are ineligible for the same reasons.

Mission: Readiness is made up of more than 150 retired generals and admirals. The group wants state and federal funding for pre-kindergarten programs that it says give children a solid foundation for academic and personal success.

The report says 145,000 Philadelphians ages 18 to 24 cannot meet the military’s medical, moral and mental standards.

Nationally, the Defense Department estimates that 75 percent of young adults are disqualified from military service.

These are quite the eye-popping numbers. Thoughts USMB?

Liberals will probably call on them to lower their standards, this is obviously discrimination and racism.

Instead, I propose encouraging the youth and everyone else for that matter to start eating better and exercising. Go outside and enjoy the summer days instead of quibbling over politics on the internet.

Oh wait a minute...

At the very least we should be encouraging a more healthy culture and promoting a strong and broad education for all.

Last edited:
Ahh America is the greatest country on earth!
We are second to none!
Gawd bless Merica.
Aren't large urban areas just wonderful?

Now if we could just go back to a strict constitutional govt everything would be fine.

Last edited:
Bad news, as it means the pool of folks who can, will and have served will come from an ever shrinking part of the population.

I notice that, form readings on this and other boards, that military service is something happening only in parts of the population. It is one more weird divide.

Ok philiy wit?

Any of you ever been there? Its a fucking SAD DUMP. I am amazed the stats are only 90%. We need to put a pic of Philly on a poster with the caption " poster child for sterilization"

I blame it all on lazy parenting.

Report: 90% of youth in Philly cannot serve - Air Force News, news from Iraq - Air Force Times

PHILADELPHIA — A nonprofit group says that up to 90 percent of young Philadelphians are ineligible for military service because of criminal records, obesity or lack of education.

Pennsylvania-based Mission: Readiness released its report Monday. It says 1 million Pennsylvanians are ineligible for the same reasons.

Mission: Readiness is made up of more than 150 retired generals and admirals. The group wants state and federal funding for pre-kindergarten programs that it says give children a solid foundation for academic and personal success.

The report says 145,000 Philadelphians ages 18 to 24 cannot meet the military’s medical, moral and mental standards.

Nationally, the Defense Department estimates that 75 percent of young adults are disqualified from military service.
These are quite the eye-popping numbers. Thoughts USMB?

That's good.

Now we won't have a soldier from another part of the country go berserk and shoot up the barracks because he was driven to insanity by the annoying Philadelphia accent.

Liberals will probably call on them to lower their standards, this is obviously discrimination and racism.

Lower standards?!? Gone are the days the judge would give convicts a choice: jail or the Army.

Of course in those days a DI could literally beat your ass if you didn't conform. Nowadays they can't even push the recruits too hard, if a recruit reaches a point they have a time out card they can use if they feel stressed. :lol:

when I went to boot camp in 1988 they couldn't hit you, but they damn sure could get in your face and curse at you until you wished they'd just hit you and get it over with. There was no " I can't do this" nope. We had a kid who about 80 lbs overweight when we started, they took the weight off him. We had another guy who didn't think a DI could tell him what to do, by the end, he did what he was told........................

I think a summer of boot camp would be a great thing for any child. My son went through a mini boot camp (4 weeks) last summer and came home with a profound understanding of the sacrifices those who choose to serve make. Not to mention being in better shape than when he left.

Oops, too late Wingbutt, Repubicans already did it:

Military Accepting More Ex-Cons

WASHINGTON - More recruits with criminal records, including felony convictions, are being allowed to join the U.S. Army and Marine Corps, as the armed services cope with a dwindling pool of volunteers during wartime.

Military Lowers Standards To Fill Ranks - CBS Evening News - CBS News

The number of incoming soldiers with prior felony arrests or convictions has more than tripled in the past five years. This year alone, the Army accepted an estimated 8,000 recruits with rap sheets, reports CBS News correspondent Kimberly Dozier.

Bushs War Against the Military -- In These Times

Bush has failed the military on almost every level. While Halliburton and Boeing went to the bank this year with about $10 billion each, undermanned U.S. forces went into Iraq without armored vests and driving unarmored vehicles. The fatal results were hidden from public view as the dead were secreted home and the Department of Defense (DOD) obscured and juggled the numbers of maimed and wounded.

The U.S. Army pay scale is about half that of the British, which is why there is a major crisis in military recruitment. (More mess for Obama to clean up)

U S Military Allows White Supremacists | America For Purchase

Tom Metzger is the former grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan and current leader of the White Aryan Resistance. He tells me the military has never been more tolerant of racial extremists. “Now they are letting everybody in,” he says.

Forum List

Back