Replacing my laptop.....

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
The new Dell 17R laptop I've had for a few months now doesn't completely fill my needs so I'm considering selling it and buying a new one that does more of what I want it to do.

Was there a question?

If you are looking for advice, the only thing I can tell you is Toshiba makes quality machines. My Acer has also held up well, but the keyboard frequently double-strokes, giiving me a lott of sttuff to clean uup.

Was there a question?

If you are looking for advice, the only thing I can tell you is Toshiba makes quality machines. My Acer has also held up well, but the keyboard frequently double-strokes, giiving me a lott of sttuff to clean uup.

No, I know what I want. I was wondering if some out there might be interested in an almost new Inspiron 17R. The only thing is the graphics aren't what I want them to be, they're not bad, just not as high end as I'm looking for and that's the only reason I'm looking to upgrade.

Load up on memory and I'd recommend an external drive say the Iomega (terabyte plus?) to simplify managing the humongous hard drives of today. I still remember when 30MB seemed too big. LOL

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." Bill Gates, 1981

256 is fine! ;)

I'm in the market for a laptop for my son who will be graduating HS in the spring and starting college in the fall. But, he has no interest in a Dell. Sorry Ringel.

What are you going to replace it with?

The 17" Studio XPS with the i7 chip and 3 gig NVIDIA graphics chip.
I'm sure you have reviewed it to death, but I would do some specific searches relating to cooling, and see if anyone on any forums have complained about it's fan system. That seems to be the one area that has not exponentially improved, like processor speed and graphics capabilities.

Good luck with it, and come back to this thread in a few months to give us a review!

Wait....make that a few weeks - in a few months it will be obsolete. LOL!

I just bought a MacBook Pro 13 which does everything that I need.

Oh Sunni, I looked at those and they are so overpriced. The Macbook Air has some tiny 11 inch that by the time you get done with extras that a kid needs for college costs around 1500. I didn't even look at the Macbook Pro.

I just bought a MacBook Pro 13 which does everything that I need.

Oh Sunni, I looked at those and they are so overpriced. The Macbook Air has some tiny 11 inch that by the time you get done with extras that a kid needs for college costs around 1500. I didn't even look at the Macbook Pro.
Actually I agree with you Sarah G

I found mine on craigslist for a great deal form a person that really needed money.

It was only a couple of months old and I got it for $750 :eusa_angel:

What are you going to replace it with?

I'm sure you have reviewed it to death, but I would do some specific searches relating to cooling, and see if anyone on any forums have complained about it's fan system. That seems to be the one area that has not exponentially improved, like processor speed and graphics capabilities.

Good luck with it, and come back to this thread in a few months to give us a review!

Some people don't like Dell and claim they're junk but most of that has to do with they're being one of the largest, if not the largest computer retailer on the planet. While the failure/complaint rate may appear higher it's due to volume and based on percentages is no more or less than anyone else. I've had Dells for many years until I started home building systems and never had a problem. The only other computer I had was an HP, it was newer than my Dells and died before my Dells did.

I'm in the market for a laptop for my son who will be graduating HS in the spring and starting college in the fall. But, he has no interest in a Dell. Sorry Ringel.

I'm not surprised, especially if he's into gaming which means Alienware.
(BTW, Dell now makes Alienware and the Dell Studio XPS series is just as good at half the cost.)

(BTW, Dell now makes Alienware and the Dell Studio XPS series is just as good at half the cost.)

He's not much of a gamer, at least not online. What I need to focus on is speed, memory, Microsoft Office and any software he may need for his classes.

He's not much of a gamer, at least not online. What I need to focus on is speed, memory, Microsoft Office and any software he may need for his classes.
This is a 17.3" which is probably bigger than he's interested in anyway if he's constantly running from class to class. If he's not a gamer it's fast enough for him but there is also no need for Microsoft office, he could use Open Office (free) which is MS Office compatible and in my humble but accurate opinion much more powerful.
To bad he doesn't like Dell, probably brainwashed by the anti-Dell clique or it could be simply a "status" thing, I don't know.

Some people don't like Dell and claim they're junk but most of that has to do with they're being one of the largest, if not the largest computer retailer on the planet. While the failure/complaint rate may appear higher it's due to volume and based on percentages is no more or less than anyone else. I've had Dells for many years until I started home building systems and never had a problem. The only other computer I had was an HP, it was newer than my Dells and died before my Dells did.

I was talking about laptop cooling in general.

I wasn't talking about Dell, and have no opinion on Dell.

Now, if you want my opinion on del . . .
evillaugh.gif

You don't need to spend a lot if you are not looking for a gaming laptop.

Look here - very reputable dealer, with excellent advice and support:

Laptops/Notebooks from mwave.com

I was talking about laptop cooling in general.

I wasn't talking about Dell, and have no opinion on Dell.

Now, if you want my opinion on del . . .
evillaugh.gif

Yeah, laptop cooling in general needs to catch up with the technology, of course that would probably add another couple of hundred dollars to the cost. In the meantime we're stuck using cooling pads to mitigate the heat issues.

Forum List

Back