Repeal the 17th Amendment?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ShackledNation, Jul 27, 2011.

?

Repeal the 17th Amendment?

1. Yes.

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No.

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Other/Not sure.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. ShackledNation

ShackledNation Libertarian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Prior to the 1913 passage of the 17th amendment, Senators were elected by state legislatures. The reason for this was simple. State legislatures have more of an incentive to protect a federal system of separation of powers than do the people. Citizens of one state would be more likely to allow the federal government to expand its control over the states than the state governments themselves.

The 17th Amendment was passed because of a procedural problem in the original concept and not because of a need to alter the balance of power. The procedural problem consisted of frequent deadlocks when the state legislatures were trying to select a senator. When deadlocked, a state would go without representation in the Senate. This happened to New York in the first Congress, going without a senator for 3 months.

The 17th amendment, calling for popular election of senators, fixed the procedural problems, but also inappropriately and unintentionally altered the balance of power. Instead, the 17th Amendment should have fixed the procedural problems and left the balance of power between the states and the federal government intact. The result has been ever more massive expansion of federal power and a deterioration of individual liberty and state sovereignty. More wars are fought, more debt is accumulated, and power is centralized. Marijuana criminalization, many of these wars, the massive welfare state, and other unconstitutional actions may never have occurred with the ability of the states to check the central government.

Thoughts?

2. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,409
    It was a power grab by the federal government. They knew exactly what they were doing and it will never be repealed.

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,135
    It can and will be repealed when the people accept that it was a mistake. Problem is everyone is always like "Oh that will never work" and no one bothers actually educating the American people on the matter.

4. Dont Taz Me Bro

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,409
    It will not be repealed because the American people as a whole have little to no knowledge whatsoever on the history of our government and why it was originally set up the way it was.

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,135
    And that is precisely why we need to educate them.

6. Richard-H

Richard-H Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +507
    It's interesting to see all you wing nuts suddenly want to take the power away from the people and give it to government.

Senators should be elected by the people directly, not by other politicians.

Of course the only reason why your for appealing the 17th amendment is that at the moment, the Senate is controlled by Democrats. If it were controlled by Republicans you'd all be up inarms defending the 17th amendment.

You're all so full of SHIT I can smell you thru the internet!

7. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,251
    Taking the right to vote for representatives away from the people will always be popular

Only idiots support repealing the 17th amendment. You have a better chance of repealing the first amendment

8. Dont Taz Me Bro

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,409

And the ignorant speak.

I rest my case.

9. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,322
    If memory serves, a majority of states were already de fact popularly choosing senators at the time and support was growing in the states for calling an Article V convention to institutionalize the practice. Ultimately, of course, that's not how the amendment originated but it was ratified by three-fourths of the states, as required.

How is that a federal power grab?

10. Moonglow

Moonglow Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,287
    Then we should go back to letting the president and vice president be elected by Congress also.