Reparations that I Could Live With

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
At the base of things, the argument for Reparations for Slavery is compelling. "We" brought these people here from their homeland, forced them - at the point of a gun - to give their lives in service to Americans (whatever that meant), and gave them nothing in return when they were emancipated, except for the dubious pleasure of living "free," penniless, and hand-to-mouth, in a country that begrudged them their very existence.

God Bless America!

With many conspicuous exceptions, the results have not been pretty.

There was some talk initially of granting the freed slaves, "40 acres and a mule," and that was a good concept - I think there was even enough undeveloped land out "West" to make this a reality - if it had been done in good faith (which wouldn't have happened).

The conundrum of translating "40 acres and a mule" in 1865 into cash today is un-solvable, unworkable, and not economically feasible. Hell, we have Americans today who are descended from both slaves ("enslaved people:" in the PC vernacular) and slave owners. I would venture to say that most "Blacks" in America today have more than a few drops of southern white blood in them.

But "40 acres and a mule" could be compared to a "good education" today. Statistics that are not entirely obsolete indicate that a college grad makes hundreds of thousands more in his lifetime than a non-grad.

So what if "we" offered every descendant of slaves a professional/technical/trade education, free of charge? In essence, "we" would guarantee either a meaningful college education, or education in a technical specialty, or training in a productive trade, to those who demonstrate that they want it.

The taxpayers would be entitled to some reasonable constraints, requirements, and limits. The college education would require that the student be prepared for college, that s/he take a career-path major (no phys ed, ethnic studies, philosophy, etc.), that it be completed in good standing and in four years. If a state school is not reasonably close to where the student lives, room & board would also be included. Similar requirements would exist for technical and trade programs.

Tenth Amendment notwithstanding, this would be a FEDERAL program. The qualifying education would be up to the individual states, with the Feds reimbursing the states for the costs of the qualifying students in Community Colleges and State 4-year colleges.

Obviously, many details would have to be worked out, but I think the concept is the only one that could gain sufficient support on both sides of the aisle. As for the fact that not everyone is cut out for advanced or trade education, there is no reason why almost every FAMILY of Blacks could not benefit from this program, and that would be sufficient.

At the base of things, the argument for Reparations for Slavery is compelling. "We" brought these people here from their homeland, forced them - at the point of a gun - to give their lives in service to Americans (whatever that meant), and gave them nothing in return when they were emancipated, except for the dubious pleasure of living "free," penniless, and hand-to-mouth, in a country that begrudged them their very existence.

God Bless America!

There was some talk initially of granting the freed slaves, "40 acres and a mule," and that was a good concept - I think there was even enough undeveloped land out "West" to make this a reality - if it had been done in good faith (which wouldn't have happened).

The conundrum of translating "40 acres and a mule" in 1865 into cash today is un-solvable, unworkable, and not economically feasible. Hell, we have Americans today who are descended from both slaves ("enslaved people:" in the PC vernacular) and slave owners. I would venture to say that most "Blacks" in America today have more than a few drops of southern white blood in them.

But "40 acres and a mule" could be compared to a "good education" today. Statistics that are not entirely obsolete indicate that a college grad makes hundreds of thousands more in his lifetime than a non-grad.

So what if "we" offered every descendant of slaves a professional/technical/trade education, free of charge? In essence, "we" would guarantee either a meaningful college education, or education in a technical specialty, or training in a productive trade, to those who demonstrate that they want it.

The taxpayers would be entitled to some reasonable constraints, requirements, and limits. The college education would require that the student be prepared for college, that s/he take a career-path major (no phys ed, ethnic studies, philosophy, etc.), that it be completed in good standing and in four years. If a state school is not reasonably close to where the student lives, room & board would also be included. Similar requirements would exist for technical and trade programs.

Tenth Amendment notwithstanding, this would be a FEDERAL program. The qualifying education would be up to the individual states, with the Feds reimbursing the states for the costs of the qualifying students in Community Colleges and State 4-year colleges.

Obviously, many details would have to be worked out, but I think the concept is the only one that could gain sufficient support on both sides of the aisle. As for the fact that not everyone is cut out for advanced or trade education, there is no reason why almost every FAMILY of Blacks could not benefit from this program, and that would be sufficient.

sorry but "WE" didnt bring anyone here against their will for any reason,,,

those people are long dead,,,

God Bless America!

Nope........ I tire of this give away talk... I didn't own slaves, I am not a racist, I was poor, and I went to a majority black school by force when I was young. Bad things happened that should have made me a racist, but I was to smart for that.

If anything I can call for reparations in a law suit against the federal government today for what it put me through when I was young, so this bullcrap of reparations is dead IMHO.

Just make America fair for everyone through a merit based system, and quit babying people for whom want to cheat the system regardless of what race they are. Time to take back the daycare, and quit letting the adult children run it

Anyone tired of the bullcrap yet (?) I know I am.

Personally, I want reparations from the Democrats for starting that Civil War that killed about a half million Americans.The Civil War wasn't as much of a race war as it was about political parties.

And then some reparations from the same Democrats who murdered 50 million through abortion.

Last edited:
I would be more than happy to give any of the racist blacks here a mule if it would only get them to shut the fuck up with all their racism.

We should make amends by repatriating what we stole.

That's fair.

since we didnt steal anything your comment is just stupid,,,
Well, kidnapped then. We should return what we kidnapped.

It was mostly Muslims who were kidnapping African and selling them into slavery, in the first place

They should pay some major reparations after all, who's the most guilty of the two, the drug user or the drug dealer?

I would be more than happy to give any of the racist blacks here a mule if it would only get them to shut the fuck up with all their racism.

They already got their mule. It's called the "Democrat Party." They also got their 20 acres, as evident by thousands of square miles of urban sprawl and ghettos the Democrats gave them.

God Bless America!

What a bogus idea.

Nobody alive today was either a slave or a slave owner. And some of the white people you blame for slavery are actually the descendants of indentured servants (another form of slavery).

Your plan is just another victimology promotion to keep blacks dependent on the government.

That's fair.

It was mostly Muslims who were kidnapping African and selling them into slavery, in the first place

They should pay some major reparations after all, who's the most guilty of the two, the drug user or the drug dealer?
I guess I was being too subtle.

That's fair.

I guess I was being too subtle.

Must have been. It went right over my head. :laugh:

God Bless America!

What about financial support to live off of while in school or training? Where would that come from?

That's fair.

if you kidnapped them then yes return them,,,but neither I nor any person living today did that,,,
So, if I steal money from you and the years go by, I can keep the interest or return on investment on that money?

That's fair.

if you kidnapped them then yes return them,,,but neither I nor any person living today did that,,,
So, if I steal money from you and the years go by, I can keep the interest or return on investment on that money?
that doesnt even make sense,,,

no person alive today kidnapped or owned slaves,,,

God Bless America!

tl;dr

No reparations

Forum List

Back