Reparations for African Americans

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Trigg, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I was talking with a diverse group of friends the other day and somehow reparations came up. I'm wondering if anyone here has any thoughts on it.

Here is why I'm against it. Share your thoughts of the subject.

1. Sins of the father. There is no one living today who endured slavery in the US.

2. No other group has gotten compensation (that I know of) for decendents. This includes the Japanese in the internment camps. Compensation was given to the people who were in the camps, but if the person had passed away no money was given to their decendents.

3. 40 acres and a mule. How much is that translated into todays money. With millions of blacks in america it would bankrupt the country.

4. Black slave owners. There were 15-20 large plantations (50 or more slaves) that were black owned. There were also innumerable blacks who owned just 2-3 slaves especially in New Orleans. Their decendents definitally shouldn't get compensation since they were part of the problem.

5. Finally with the abundance of shady lawyers in the US how long would it be before everyone was suing everyone else for a wrong done to their great-great-great grandparents by someone elses.

2. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    If reparations are ever passed (which will be a cold day in hell), I'm claiming to be 1/8 black. They could never tell, and I would get some free cash from the government! Woot!

3. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    My thought..short an sweet...

BULLSHIT!!
    How's that? :)

4. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    My family wasn't even in this country until 1907. Should I have to pay reparations for the sins of others?

What about African-Americans whose families came here after 1863? Are they due reparations?

5. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Exactly what I thought. Half of my family is Cherokee with the other half being from the North. Also fought in the civil war for the north.

6. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I don't know when my family arrived here,but I do know know that reparations are one lousy ass way of trying to make money that you don't deserve. Let them try,there would be so much red tape to go through Jessie Jockson and others would be gone before they go what they wanted!

7. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    personally i think the europeans and africans that started the slave trade in africa should pay reparations......futher the yanks fought and died to free the slaves so they have already given.... so that leaves dixie to cough up with the french and the congo

8. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Anyone wanting reparations should first seek redress of their grievances at the source - the African continent. It was their own people who SOLD slaves to white buyers.

Seems to me that just as we place more emphasis on pursuing drug dealers than users, those who seek reparations should start with the supplier, not the buyer.

But could it be that these morons are just smart enough to figure out that the end result of any such effort to seek reparations in Africa will only end up with their throats cut - or, irony of ironies, with them sold into slavery?

Talk about poetic justice.

9. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    whoa there big fella. I was with ya until you mentioned Dixie....

My great-grandfather, a Southerner, fought for the North and spent a couple of years in Andersonville Prison, where he contracted "black lung" which eventually killed him. So he has paid the dues for this Southerner.... Furthermore, his brother, a Captain in the Union Army, was killed at the Battle of Vicksburg, so not all Southerners were supporters of slavery. So don't try to lay it off on Dixie.

The civil war was not fought over slavery anyway. It was fought over State's Rights. There were plenty of Yanks that had slaves too.

10. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Reparations is a ridiculous notion, and if ever legally instated would start a firestorm of peoples demanding what was taken from them.

To start with, the last time I checked, the African-American community in this nation was a huge, thriving minority. Yes, they have problems and issues that are serious and need to be dealt with, but their options in life and the possibilities they have are better that they have ever been before.

I live in an area that has numerous Native American Reservations and I can tell you that, on the whole, the Native American community is NOT doing well...and CERTAINLY has a better argument regarding how the white man's occupation hurt them in the long run. They have historical documentation regarding how our government lied to them, massacred them, broke legally binding treaties with them, tortured them, and cheated them out of land that they had lived on and, arguably, owned, for decades, if not centuries before the white men arrived.

Surely, if we are going to discuss reparations...the African American community would support starting with the community MOST harmed by their unfortunate past, the Native American community...and after the US Gov't, and anyone with relatives who took part in the campaign against the Native Americans has paid dearly for their ancestors mistakes....THEN we will turn to the NEXT most harmed and so on...

I, for one, can't wait to go back to England and demand my ocean-front farmland in Ireland back from the families whose ancestors who starved and harrassed my familiy and many other peoples families to the point where many of my familiy members died of malnutrition and disease and several others were forced off the land that was rightfully theirs.