Rep Points Etiquette

Abbey Normal

Jul 9, 2005
Mid-Atlantic region
A USMB etiquette question from a newbie:

When someone is nice enough to give your post some rep points, with or without a nice accompanying comment, is it proper to respond with a short thank you email, or is no reply expected?

Or is it perhaps even annoying to receive a thank you?

:dunno:

Abbey Normal said:

When someone is nice enough to give your post some rep points, with or without a nice accompanying comment, is it proper to respond with a short thank you email, or is no reply expected?

since when are thank you's annoying................ :huh:

Abbey Normal said:

personally I don't expect thanks and don't always give it--but hey--have fun and see what happens--everyone is different

I thank on occasion - I probably get more thanks than I receive. To me, when somebody writes a message and tells me WHAT they liked about my post, I'm more inclined to write back. If I get rep, but a blank note, I think that person doesn't want to get into the why. Thus, i make a mental note to reciprocate when I see one of their posts which I find particularly well-stated.

Abbey, it's up to you. I almost never send thank you's for rep, but some people almost always do. Sometimes, reputation for another poster's posts is a good way to say "thanks."

Abbey Normal said:

I don't "expect" anything..But am not annoyed by a non-response or a thank you.

dilloduck said:
ok--forget the thank you stuff----just send cash (large bills are fine) :)

I could go for that...Kathianne can have all the points...just give me and you the cash...holy moly what a capitalistic idea... :thewave:

Don't get mad Kathianne...just having a little fun here....................

archangel said:
I could go for that...Kathianne can have all the points...just give me and you the cash...holy moly what a capitalistic idea... :thewave:

Don't get mad Kathianne...just having a little fun here....................

Abbey, some always pick on me! :banana2: :laugh:

I rep posts I like and conversely, those I don't. For me, it most often has to do with 'how' someone said something, than necessarily whether or not I agree with what they said. (I've even found more than several occassions to rep Bully! Once, even Gabby.) :shocked:

I try to thank those that do, either with a pm or reciprocal when warranted. Like D, I like it better when a comment is added to explain 'why' someone liked it, but you don't have to.

Kathianne said:
Abbey, some always pick on me! :banana2: :laugh:

I rep posts I like and conversely, those I don't. For me, it most often has to do with 'how' someone said something, than necessarily whether or not I agree with what they said. (I've even found more than several occassions to rep Bully! Once, even Gabby.) :shocked:

I try to thank those that do, either with a pm or reciprocal when warranted. Like D, I like it better when a comment is added to explain 'why' someone liked it, but you don't have to.

however just remember if a person doesn't like someone...well,then they are ignored...you are never ignored...therfore well liked....unlike our princess gabby...sometimes she is ignored and other times hit really hard...only when she attacks our troops though....otherwise on ignore........... :teeth:

Abbey I try to remember as much as I can because I really do appreciate that someone likes or can identify with what I've posted in some way that they took the time to let me know, but it's not expected, that's just my thing.

Do what makes you feel comfortable.

i always say thanks and always search out the other persons post to look for things that i find interesting and try to rep back

i feel if someone took the time to read my post and found it of value i should put the same effort in

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
If I had responded to all the negative reps I have gotten, I would have told the majority of the board to fuck off by now. :terror:

Gabriella84 said:
If I had responded to all the negative reps I have gotten, I would have told the majority of the board to fuck off by now. :terror:

So how's the plan to piss everyone off coming along? I was hoping you might be here for other reasons.

krisy said:
There sure are a lot of questions about rep points from "new" people-wow.

???
By my count there were just two questions asked, and I am the only "new" person to ask one. Wouldn't new people be the ones we would expect to have questions?

1011.gif

Forum List

Back