Rep. Paul Broun asked: 'Who Is Going To Shoot Obama?' Broun doesn't disagree

Feb 2, 2011
Georgia Rep. Paul Braun was asked by a constituent, "Who is going to shoot Obama?". Instead of condemning the constituent, Braun "ignored" the question and went on to discuss frustration with Obama in general.

Way to go, Braun. Somebody says Obama should be shot and you can't even muster the balls to condemn it. :clap2:

The Athens Banner-Herald in Georgia reports that a shocking question was asked at a town hall event held by Rep. Paul Broun (R-Ga.) on Tuesday. According to the article, an audience member asked the congressman, "Who is going to shoot Obama?"

Blake Aued reports:

Broun's press secretary, Jessica Morris, confirmed that the question was indeed, who is going to shoot Obama? "Obviously, the question was inappropriate, so Congressman Broun moved on," she said.

However, rather than confronting the questioner or condemning the question, Broun instead acknowledged "frustration" with Obama, according to the Banner-Herald. The paper reports that Broun responded to the stunning inquiry as follows:

"The thing is, I know there's a lot of frustration with this president. We're going to have an election next year. Hopefully, we'll elect somebody that's going to be a conservative, limited-government president that will take a smaller, who will sign a bill to repeal and replace Obamacare."

Read the full story from the Athens Banner-Herald.

Rep. Paul Broun Asked At Town Hall: 'Who Is Going To Shoot Obama?'

Someone asked the question 'who is going to shoot Obama?'. Please provide the quote that backs up your claim that anyone said 'Obama should be shot'.

The two are not the same. One is a question. The other a statement. I can see where the question was asked. I cannot find the statement that suggests Obama should be shot.

• Banned
Someone asked the question 'who is going to shoot Obama?'. Please provide the quote that backs up your claim that anyone said 'Obama should be shot'.

The two are not the same. One is a question. The other a statement. I can see where the question was asked. I cannot find the statement that suggests Obama should be shot.

Really? That all you have? The semantics of my post? Sorry, professor, this isn't an English class. The question was asked. Do you agree with it? How do you feel about Braun's lack of condemnation?

Really? That all you have? The semantics of my post? Sorry, professor, this isn't an English class. The question was asked. Do you agree with it? How do you feel about Braun's lack of condemnation?

It's not semantics. It's fact. There is no quote that says 'Obama should be shot'. Someone asked a question. A stupid question. And Braun ignored it. So? Responding to it would have given it credence, he chose not to give it credence. I have no problem with that.

• Banned
The last thing we want is to make a martyr out of that POS.

Right. Don't condemn the questioner or Braun for not defending Obama against an obvious nut. Worrying how an Obama assassination would affect your party politically is your only response.

Right. Don't condemn the questioner or Braun for not defending Obama against an obvious nut. Worrying how an Obama assassination would affect your party politically is your only response.

CG is not a Republican and I agree with her. I think Broun handled it best by ignoring the guy instead of feeding into his attention seeking.

• Banned

It's not semantics. It's fact. There is no quote that says 'Obama should be shot'. Someone asked a question. A stupid question. And Braun ignored it. So? Responding to it would have given it credence, he chose not to give it credence. I have no problem with that.

SOmebody suggested with their question that Obama should be shot. Instead of condemning the questioner, Braun decided to turn it into a talking point about Obamacare. He's a real stand up guy. And all you have to say about it is that technically there was no statement, just a question. So fucking what? That's your only concern? Does that change the fact that some asshole asked it? Does that change the fact that Braun didn't even try and defend the POTUS?

OK let's look at the two statements together
Somebody says Obama should be shot and you can't even muster the balls to condemn it.
Paul Braun was asked by a constituent, "Who is going to shoot Obama?".

Now do you see the difference?

CG is not a Republican and I agree with her. I think Broun handled it best by ignoring the guy instead of feeding into his attention seeking.

He ignored the guy who asked the question and turned it into an opportunity to bash Obamacare. He should have been outraged that somebody would suggest the POTUS be shot. Look, I hated Bush. But if somebody suggested that he be shot, and a Democratic Congressman turned it into an anti-Bush bash instead of strongly condemning the person, I would be just as disgusted with that Dem as I am with this Repub.

SOmebody suggested with their question that Obama should be shot. Instead of condemning the questioner, Braun decided to turn it into a talking point about Obamacare. He's a real stand up guy. And all you have to say about it is that technically there was no statement, just a question. So fucking what? That's your only concern? Does that change the fact that some asshole asked it? Does that change the fact that Braun didn't even try and defend the POTUS?

No, they asked a question. A dumb one. Braun chose to ignore it. His decision was not to provide the questioner with the attention he was clearly looking for.

It was a question. A question that I personally happily condemn - but I keep it in proportion. Asking a question is not illegal.... some questions are just pathetic and this was one of those.

It is fine and dandy to condemn a politician for not reacting with the ire you think he should.... however, if you have ever been in a position where you're taking a 'question and answer' session.... you would understand that you have to make very quick judgements on how to deal with left field questions. He chose to ignore it. I may well have done likewise. It's a personal choice. I'm not gonna blame him for someone else's moronic question. However, if you have some burning need to use it as a stick with which to beat up a Republican, have at it. Again, I personally, would wait until I had a real stick... and am equally likely to beat up a Republican or a Democrat.

Somebody says Obama should be shot and you can't even muster the balls to condemn it.

Another professor weighs in. This isn't an English class. I may not be the best writer, but you know damn well what I meant. Is this really all you have? You can't condemn the question or Braun, but you can criticize the wording of my post. How do you people sleep at night?

He ignored the guy who asked the question and turned it into an opportunity to bash Obamacare. He should have been outraged that somebody would suggest the POTUS be shot.

How do you know he wasn't? Just because he didn't react the way you personally think he should have doesn't mean he wasn't disturbed or shocked by the guy's comment. Were you there? Are you a mind reader?

No, they asked a question. A dumb one. Braun chose to ignore it. His decision was not to provide the questioner with the attention he was clearly looking for.

It was a question. A question that I personally happily condemn - but I keep it in proportion. Asking a question is not illegal.... some questions are just pathetic and this was one of those.

It is fine and dandy to condemn a politician for not reacting with the ire you think he should.... however, if you have ever been in a position where you're taking a 'question and answer' session.... you would understand that you have to make very quick judgements on how to deal with left field questions. He chose to ignore it. I may well have done likewise. It's a personal choice. I'm not gonna blame him for someone else's moronic question. However, if you have some burning need to use it as a stick with which to beat up a Republican, have at it. Again, I personally, would wait until I had a real stick... and am equally likely to beat up a Republican or a Democrat.

I did say that I would be just as outraged if it were Dem ignoring the question instead of a Repub. See post #10.

Another professor weighs in. This isn't an English class. I may not be the best writer, but you know damn well what I meant. Is this really all you have? You can't condemn the question or Braun, but you can criticize the wording of my post. How do you people sleep at night?

It's not an english class both have different meanings. Neither means the same.

Last edited:
He ignored the guy who asked the question and turned it into an opportunity to bash Obamacare. He should have been outraged that somebody would suggest the POTUS be shot.

How do you know he wasn't? Just because he didn't react the way you personally think he should have doesn't mean he wasn't disturbed or shocked by the guy's comment. Were you there? Are you a mind reader?

Are you blind? Did you not read the quote? He empathized with the guy's frustration. He didn't just ignore it and move on. That would be ok with me. He turned it into a talking point about frustration over Obamacare.

Which bit of calling it a 'stupid question' is too complicated for you to understand? No one is supporting anyone asking such a ridiculous question. We are saying that Braun handled it appropriately. He ignored it and make his point. Which happens to be against ObamaCare. Works for me.

Bearing in mind, he was not expecting the question... and bearing in mind that politicians are trained to 'handle' that type of question by ignoring it and sticking to their point, I think he handled it appropriately.

What should he have done? Given it credence by saying.... what exactly? 'No one is gonna shoot Obama'? 'I don't know who is going to shoot Obama'? Any answer he gave would have been stupid. He acted appropriately.

Are you blind? Did you not read the quote? He empathized with the guy's frustration. He didn't just ignore it and move on. That would be ok with me. He turned it into a talking point about frustration over Obamacare.

So what? That's what politicians do. They stick to their talking points.

It's not an english class both have different meanings. Neither means the same.

Do you need me to hold your hand and walk you through the post? You know exactly what I meant. Maybe you should focus on the wording of the article. They spell it out nice and proper for you. ASSHOLE

As an aside, the title of this thread is somewhat strange..... 'Rep Paul Broun (sp) asked who is going to shoot Obama Broun (sp) doesn't disagree.

What exactly was he supposed to "disagree" with? :lol:

Forum List

Back