Rep. Kucinich (D). Good looking wife...dumb as a box of hammers.

The Congress passed a Resolution authorizing the President to use military force in Afghanistan and Iraq thus waiving their rights under the War Powers Act. Every time a funding bill comes before Congress authorizing money for the 2 conflicts the authorization from Congress given to the President to use military force is renewed.

Voting to give their authority to the President is unconstitutional. That power was given to the legislature for a reason.

No its not. Besides, that isn't what happened. The President went to Congress to ask for permission to invade Iraq. They voted yea and voted to fund it. He invaded. That is exactly what was supposed to happen. They didn't vote to give any authority to the President. They voted in favor of making war. Declaration or not, they it was Constitutional. You really should be careful throwing around that word, when it is apparent you do not know what it means.

Apparently.

Voting to give their authority to the President is unconstitutional. That power was given to the legislature for a reason.

No its not. Besides, that isn't what happened. The President went to Congress to ask for permission to invade Iraq. They voted yea and voted to fund it. He invaded. That is exactly what was supposed to happen. They didn't vote to give any authority to the President. They voted in favor of making war. Declaration or not, they it was Constitutional. You really should be careful throwing around that word, when it is apparent you do not know what it means.

Apparently.

Yeah, you don't have to respond. I know you know I'm right.

Apparently.

Well that's not why I chose not to respond. Responding to people who are only interested in insulting me or being condescending has grown boring to me. Now we've had good discussions in the past, but I have noted that while you're more than pleasant in our private conversations you're very condescending towards me in public. So having a discussion with you doesn't interest me any longer.

Just the Constitution.

If that were the case he would be impeached for failing to fulfill his oath of office.....try again.
All of our Presidents in the history of this country haven't been impeached for doing so. I can count on my fingers, at least 10 Presidents who have failed their oaths of office. In fact, I'd probably have to count my toes too.

Only Johnson and Clinton have been impeached, and they weren't in the hot seat for Constitutional reasons.

Well then...if none of them have been impeached then perhaps you should rethink what's a violation of the Constitution in your opinion vs. reality.

If that were the case he would be impeached for failing to fulfill his oath of office.....try again.
All of our Presidents in the history of this country haven't been impeached for doing so. I can count on my fingers, at least 10 Presidents who have failed their oaths of office. In fact, I'd probably have to count my toes too.

Only Johnson and Clinton have been impeached, and they weren't in the hot seat for Constitutional reasons.

Well then...if none of them have been impeached then perhaps you should rethink what's a violation of the Constitution in your opinion vs. reality.

Or maybe politicians shouldn't be out to protect themselves and their friends, and actually follow what the Constitution says rather than what they can squeeze out of it.

The 9th Amendment would cover that.

Where does the 9th Amendment say that you can put cream in your coffee?

It covers rights not explicitly stated by the Constitution or Bill of Rights. Obviously you know this, of course.

Obviously.

Try this on for size. I reserve the right make meth and sell it. The right to do so is not specifically enumerated, but the 9th Amendment says that rights retained by the people shall not be denied or disparaged. I have paid sales tax on all products that I have used to make it, so therefore I should be able to do whatever I want with it. Yet, it is illegal to make it and sell it, or even to purchase large quantities of the materials used to make it. There is a law that was voted on by Congress. By your logic the law in question would be unconstitutional. But it isn't.

My point is that just because the Constitutional doesn't specifically allow something, it doesn't mean that it cannot be done. The 9th amendment applies to Congress as wee, you know, as they are made of people, representing people.

Where does the 9th Amendment say that you can put cream in your coffee?

It covers rights not explicitly stated by the Constitution or Bill of Rights. Obviously you know this, of course.

Obviously.

Try this on for size. I reserve the right make meth and sell it. The right to do so is not specifically enumerated, but the 9th Amendment says that rights retained by the people shall not be denied or disparaged. I have paid sales tax on all products that I have used to make it, so therefore I should be able to do whatever I want with it. Yet, it is illegal to make it and sell it, or even to purchase large quantities of the materials used to make it. There is a law that was voted on by Congress. By your logic the law in question would be unconstitutional. But it isn't.

My point is that just because the Constitutional doesn't specifically allow something, it doesn't mean that it cannot be done. The 9th amendment applies to Congress as wee, you know, as they are made of people, representing people.

Well you see, I would say that making laws against drugs is unconstitutional.

Apparently.

Well that's not why I chose not to respond. Responding to people who are only interested in insulting me or being condescending has grown boring to me. Now we've had good discussions in the past, but I have noted that while you're more than pleasant in our private conversations you're very condescending towards me in public. So having a discussion with you doesn't interest me any longer.

Yeah, I have found that you form better arguments when you are annoyed by my condescension.

Obviously.

How about murder?

Obviously.

How about murder?

Murder would violate the rights of the person being murdered. The sale or use of drugs does not violate anybody's rights.

Obviously.

what about highly explosive unstable materials? like.......meth. those which can blow up an entire apartment building or whose gas can kill a three year old child that lives on the floor above you, simply because you are exercising your "right" to own it?

Obviously.

what about highly explosive unstable materials? like.......meth. those which can blow up an entire apartment building or whose gas can kill a three year old child that lives on the floor above you, simply because you are exercising your "right" to own it?

What about operating gigantic machines that move at high speeds that could potentially kill the three year old going in the opposite direction in their own gigantic machine, with only a little yellow line painted on the ground to separate you? Perhaps we should outlaw vehicles and bring back the horse and buggies.

Forum List

Back