...Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. has been identified by sources as 'Senate Candidate 5'

NOBama

Sep 23, 2008
By Bob Secter and Dan Mihalopoulos | Tribune staff reporters 1:05 PM CST, December 10, 2008 U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. (D-Ill.) is "completely guiltless" in the alleged scheme to corrupt the appointment of a new U.S. senator from Illinois and will meet with federal investigators as soon as Friday, the congressman's newly hired attorney said today.

Jackson was not named in the criminal complaint yesterday charging Gov. Rod Blagojevich with trying to sell the Senate seat vacated by President-elect Barack Obama. But descriptions in the court document fit the congressman's profile and sources have further identified him as the "Senate Candidate 5" who was among those being considered for the job.

Jackson hired longtime Chicago lawyer James Montgomery Sr. on Tuesday after federal prosecutors unveiled criminal charges against Blagojevich and top aide John Harris, sources said.

"There is nothing there to implicate the congressman," Montgomery told the Tribune. The attorney said he and Jackson have been advised by a top deputy to U.S. Atty. Patrick Fitzgerald that Jackson is not a target of the investigation.

More

Is JJ Jr, just getting a jump on the press or what? If he's so innocent why did he have to hire a mouth piece? What was the urgency of these press conferences today?

To me, he just made himself more suspect.

Hey! every single solitary politician in Chicago is totally:lol: clueless as to what this little white Govenor has been up to.... totally...

:eusa_angel:

Hey! every single solitary politician in Chicago is totally:lol: clueless as to what this little white Govenor has been up to.... totally...

:eusa_angel:

Yup, every politican in IL will get as far away from Blago as humanly possibly now.

I just think something's amuck with these Jackson press conferences today. If Fitzgerald personally cleared the guy he could have used all the negative speculation to his advantage (to look like an angel) at a later date, and surely he knows that.

Yup, every politican in IL will get as far away from Blago as humanly possibly now.

I just think something's amuck with these Jackson press conferences today. If Fitzgerald personally cleared the guy he could have used all the negative speculation to his advantage (to look like an angel) at a later date, and surely he knows that.

In reality Obama was among the few that did, even his own Lt. Governor claims he hasn't spoken to him since 9/07, seriously.

Lt. Gov. Quinn urges Blagojevich to 'step aside' - Chicago Breaking News

Lt. Gov. Quinn urges Blagojevich to 'step aside'
December 9, 2008 at 1:12 PM | Comments (2)
Illinois Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn today called on Gov. Rod Blagojevich to step aside, at least temporarily, because the governor is "seriously impeded from carrying out his oath of office."
"I think that should certainly be considered by the governor today. I think he knows what he needs to do for the people," Quinn said at a news conference.
Quinn would become acting governor if Blagojevich were to step aside under the Illinois Constitution.

Quinn cited the state constitution as providing a temporary step-aside option for Blagojevich.

Politicians from both political parties are calling for Blagojevich to resign. Failing that, they say, impeachment proceedings should begin in the Illinois House.

He advised the General Assembly to quickly pass legislation taking away the power from Blagojevich to appoint a U.S. Senate successor to President-elect Barack Obama. If Blagojevich were to veto that bill, the legislature should override the veto, he said.

It would take at least three days to pass such legislation, Quinn said.

He said he thought he could do a good job is called upon to serve as governor.

He added he had not talked to Blagojevich since 2007.

Asked who is in charge of the state, Quinn paused and said, "Well, the governor is still the governor as of this moment."

Quinn defended Blagojevich against corruption allegations during the 2006 campaign when serving as the governor's running mate. A federal investigation into the Blagojevich administration already was swirling at that time.

Blagojevich faces a 1:30 p.m federal court hearing after being arrested by FBI agents at his North Side home early this morning.

--Staff report

Chicago is unique in many ways. ;)

Yes it is. I lived there for 15 years. I remember when Harold Washington almost lost the election to a no-name Repulbican, Bernie Epton, in a city that votes 95% Democratic. Talk about racism.

Yet somehow managed to elect a black senator, the only one, who is currently the president-elect and carried the state by what margin? Give me a break. Strawman.

Forum List

Back