Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson violated rules, steered scholarships to relatives

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Oh, looky here, another corrupt Washington politician, and of course, she "had no idea" that she was doing anything illegal, no idea at all.

Longtime Dallas congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson has awarded thousands of dollars in college scholarships to four relatives and a top aide's two children since 2005, using foundation funds set aside for black lawmakers' causes.
Eddie Bernice Johnson

The recipients were ineligible under anti-nepotism rules of the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, which provided the money. And all of the awards violated a foundation requirement that scholarship winners live or study in a caucus member's district.

Johnson, a Democrat, denied any favoritism when asked about the scholarships last week. Two days later, she acknowledged in a statement released by her office that she had violated the rules but said she had done so "unknowingly" and would work with the foundation to "rectify the financial situation."

Initially, she said, "I recognized the names when I saw them. And I knew that they had a need just like any other kid that would apply for one." Had there been more "very worthy applicants in my district," she added, "then I probably wouldn't have given it" to the relatives.

Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson violated rules, steered scholarships to relatives | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News

Disgusting.

1.) There's no way she unknowingly broke the rules.

2.) This line pisses me off:

"I recognized the names when I saw them. And I knew that they had a need just like any other kid that would apply for one." Had there been more "very worthy applicants in my district," she added, "then I probably wouldn't have given it" to the relatives.

Such bullshit, and a insult to anyone in her district who did apply.

Oh, looky here, another corrupt Washington politician, and of course, she "had no idea" that she was doing anything illegal, no idea at all.

Longtime Dallas congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson has awarded thousands of dollars in college scholarships to four relatives and a top aide's two children since 2005, using foundation funds set aside for black lawmakers' causes.
Eddie Bernice Johnson

The recipients were ineligible under anti-nepotism rules of the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, which provided the money. And all of the awards violated a foundation requirement that scholarship winners live or study in a caucus member's district.

Johnson, a Democrat, denied any favoritism when asked about the scholarships last week. Two days later, she acknowledged in a statement released by her office that she had violated the rules but said she had done so "unknowingly" and would work with the foundation to "rectify the financial situation."

Initially, she said, "I recognized the names when I saw them. And I knew that they had a need just like any other kid that would apply for one." Had there been more "very worthy applicants in my district," she added, "then I probably wouldn't have given it" to the relatives.

Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson violated rules, steered scholarships to relatives | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News
What's up with the CBC lately? Seems more than one member has seriously stepped in it.

Eddie Bernice Johnson

What's up with the CBC lately? Seems more than one member has seriously stepped in it.

They are a PROTECTED class and just assume they can get away with illegal activity.

Forum List

Back