Rep. Clyburn: Bring back Fairness Doctrine

Meister

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 15, 2009
Conservative part of the Northwest
Who didn't see this coming.........again. "Never miss an opportunity to........."

The shooting is cause for the country to rethink parameters on free speech, Clyburn said from his office, just blocks from the South Carolina Statehouse. He wants standards put in place to guarantee balanced media coverage with a reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine...
.........some want the FCC to use the policy to inject balance into heated media discussions.
Rep. Clyburn: Bring back Fairness Doctrine - On Media - POLITICO.com

The administration may want to bypass Congress on this issue?

He's been on that kick for a while. Nothing new. The Fairness Doctrine isn't coming back.

what does the shooting have to do with any kind of speech?

you honestly think they are going to get rid of their deepest held belief that talk radio is somehow responsible for the shootings?

If they keep telling their base long enough and enough times the base will believe.
Not so with independents, libertarians, and republicans.

I'm just wondering if they could possibly give the FCC enough power to bypass Congress on this matter?

I don't think there should be any legislative mandate on the tone and timbre of speech from talk radio.

I do think some talk radio hosts, producers, columnists, bloggers and pundits should show better taste and discretion when making political points. Strange how the more inflammatory they get, the more popular they become.

But, that's the price we pay as a free society where stupidity, the inane, the demagogue are prized above the rational and articulate.

Who didn't see this coming.........again. "Never miss an opportunity to........."

The shooting is cause for the country to rethink parameters on free speech, Clyburn said from his office, just blocks from the South Carolina Statehouse. He wants standards put in place to guarantee balanced media coverage with a reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine...
.........some want the FCC to use the policy to inject balance into heated media discussions.

Seek and it shall be given unto you.

I don't think there should be any legislative mandate on the tone and timbre of speech from talk radio.

I do think some talk radio hosts, producers, columnists, bloggers and pundits should show better taste and discretion when making political points. Strange how the more inflammatory they get, the more popular they become.

But, that's the price we pay as a free society where stupidity, the inane, the demagogue are prized above the rational and articulate.

You know a white radio talk show host no,, make that two, had to give up their jobs for using the N word. But blacks can use the N word.., that's real fair and unbalanced innit?

If they keep telling their base long enough and enough times the base will believe.
Not so with independents, libertarians, and republicans.

I'm just wondering if they could possibly give the FCC enough power to bypass Congress on this matter?

Sure they will. The Irreverant Rev. Sharpton has already visited the FCC because of Rush.. It's just a matter of time. course it's cool for him to be a race baiter as in Tawanna Brawley innit?

You know a white radio talk show host no,, make that two, had to give up their jobs for using the N word. But blacks can use the N word.., that's real fair and unbalanced innit?
They were not fired because they broke the law. They were fired because they used poor taste.

Can't beat talk Radio so it's time to silence them.

The Fairness Doctrine never silence anyone. In fact:

"The Supreme Court unanimously found [the Fairness Doctrine] advances First Amendment values. It safeguards the public�s right to be informed on issues affecting our democracy, while also balancing broadcasters� rights to the broadest possible editorial discretion."

"Indeed, when it was in place, citizen groups used the Fairness Doctrine as a tool to expand speech and debate. For instance, it prevented stations from allowing only one side to be heard on ballot measures. Over the years, it had been supported by grassroots groups across the political spectrum, including the ACLU, National Rifle Association and the right-wing Accuracy In Media."

The Fairness Doctrine: How We Lost it, and Why We Need it Back

Hes blowing smoke. it doesn't stand a chance.

and in the end, the media market environment is so saturated it would be laughable to even consider anything remotely close to a 'fairness doctrine'.

The Administration has NEVER mentioned any desire to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine. Your link is about a Congressman who wants it, not the administration. Why would Congress bypass Congress?

Anyway, this will never happen - but that won't stop talk radio from stirring up the fear.

The Administration has NEVER mentioned any desire to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine. Your link is about a Congressman who wants it, not the administration. Why would Congress bypass Congress?

Anyway, this will never happen - but that won't stop talk radio from stirring up the fear.

Hasn't the EPA sidestepped Congress??? hmmmm?

Hasn't the EPA sidestepped Congress??? hmmmm?

I think you're missing my point.

I don't deny that there have been sidesteps.

I think that you're making a Beck-like conspiracy theory jump by taking a quote from a Congressman to mean that the Obama Administration was going to sidestep Congress, even though NO ONE in the Administration OR the FCC have called for a return to the Fairness Doctrine.

i don't think there should be any legislative mandate on the tone and timbre of speech from talk radio.

you know a white radio talk show host no,, make that two, had to give up their jobs for using the n word. But blacks can use the n word.., that's real fair and unbalanced innit?
they were not fired because they broke the law. They were fired because they used poor taste.

double standard alert.

i don't think there should be any legislative mandate on the tone and timbre of speech from talk radio.

you know a white radio talk show host no,, make that two, had to give up their jobs for using the n word. But blacks can use the n word.., that's real fair and unbalanced innit?

tough shit....that was up to the radio station to fire them, not the government.

you izzz a moron

Forum List

Back