Rep Apologizes for Obama 'Tar Baby' Comment

:lol:

Tar baby is a racist term from waaaaay back.

Didn't you say you didn't like Racists?
- the term "tar baby" has origins going back to an 1881 Uncle Remus story by writer Joel Chandler Harris and can be used to imply that a situation is difficult to solve. It has recently developed more derogatory connotations related to African Americans

It was hijacked, like niggardly

Oh gosh..

"Hijacked"?

Back in my day there was no "hijacking". It was a derogatory term.

Point_over_your_head.jpg

Funny - I hear the "N" word 400+ times a day on the radio/television.

By those it is supposed to infuriate.

Is that acceptable now?

May I feel free to use this word as acceptable in every day conversation?

I think not.

What's that got to do with anything? Certain words are culture sensitive. You obviously understand that already, or you wouldn't be acknowledging you'd be out of line for using the word in everyday conversation.

Basically I could care less if a person is racist.

But I do not want racists as legislators or leaders of the country, if they are using their racist beliefs to create laws or policy.
Ya, like affirmative action

- the term "tar baby" has origins going back to an 1881 Uncle Remus story by writer Joel Chandler Harris and can be used to imply that a situation is difficult to solve. It has recently developed more derogatory connotations related to African Americans

It was hijacked, like niggardly

Oh gosh..

"Hijacked"?

Back in my day there was no "hijacking". It was a derogatory term.

Point_over_your_head.jpg

You tried to make an equivalance between a real word like "niggardly" which, although it's use is sort of antiquated, has not, at least in my experience, been used as a racial slur and Tar Baby..which in my experience, has been used all the time as one.

Great. Fun.

:clap2:

By the way..I posted racial slur databases in a previous post. Tar Baby comes up..Niggardly does not.

Not any worse then Biden calling tea partyers' terrorists. And he's one seat away from the POTUS.
It's all relative.......

Source?

Guess you don't keep up on the news. You just joined in May, but I'll still accomodate you. But don't give me shit over the verbage 'like'; it's the same as calling them terrorists, unless you want to get into a 'blowjob' isn't sex discussion.

Sources: Joe Biden likened tea partiers to terrorists - Jonathan Allen and John Bresnahan - POLITICO.com

Last edited:

Is that acceptable now?

I think not.

What's that got to do with anything? Certain words are culture sensitive. You obviously understand that already, or you wouldn't be acknowledging you'd be out of line for using the word in everyday conversation.
No, certain words are sensitive to the professionally offended and the race baiters.

Just ignore the fact that the tar baby from the Uncle Remus story was being referenced as an analogy and shift straight into pussy sniveler mode.

Is that acceptable now?

I think not.

Are you a useless shill for diversity programs? :lol:

But I do not want racists as legislators or leaders of the country, if they are using their racist beliefs to create laws or policy.

Interestingly enough..yeah..that did come up as a result of racist beliefs.

It came up as the result of people in this country thinking that black people from other countries could be bought and sold as property.

So..as parity..programs like Affirmative Action were set up.

But I'm thinking you'd prefer something like Reparations.

Well that's far more expensive..but heck...:lol:

Interestingly enough..yeah..that did come up as a result of racist beliefs.

It came up as the result of people in this country thinking that black people from other countries could be bought and sold as property.

So..as parity..programs like Affirmative Action were set up.

But I'm thinking you'd prefer something like Reparations.

Well that's far more expensive..but heck...:lol:

Unfortunately, affirmative action programs morphed into hiring to fill ethnic quotas OVER the most qualified. Turned into 'Affirmitive Action Gone Wild!". :bye1:

Not any worse then Biden calling tea partyers' terrorists. And he's one seat away from the POTUS.
It's all relative.......

Source?

Guess you don't keep up on the news. You just joined in May, but I'll still accomodate you. But don't give me shit over the verbage 'like'; it's the same as calling them terrorists, unless you want to get into a 'blowjob' isn't sex discussion.

Sources: Joe Biden likened tea partiers to terrorists - Jonathan Allen and John Bresnahan - POLITICO.com

What difference does it make when I joined? Your source indicates that Biden denied using that word terrorism. He also has said he doesn't think the word is appropriate in your source. Guess you read whatever you want into things.

Affirmative action tries to make up for blacks lack of mental faculties

Is that acceptable now?

I think not.

Are you a useless shill for diversity programs? :lol:

Like that has anything to do with certain words being culture sensitive.

Is that acceptable now?

I think not.

No, certain words are sensitive to the professionally offended and the race baiters.

Just ignore the fact that the tar baby from the Uncle Remus story was being referenced as an analogy and shift straight into pussy sniveler mode.

Yep.

I wholly encourage you to use it frequently when you do business.

Should bring in the bucks.

I bet you think blacks were enslaved because of there skin color.

I bet you think blacks were enslaved because of there skin color.

Naw.

It was because they have excellent singing voices.

Like this guy!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24sB2hxrU3g]‪Al Jolson - Mammy (The Jazz Singer) 1927‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah, hijacked....by racists.

Agreed like a certain CSA battleflag or a common name for Saltines. The difference here is the false angst being generated by those on the left about a term they've used themselves.

Of course, there are racists who use this term like this racist, ideological piece:
ttp://thedemocraticdaily.com/2007/01/10/the-tar-baby-strategy/]“The Tar Baby” Strategy | The Democratic Daily

After listening to both the short clip and reading this article, I do not believe racism or even racial insensitivity was involved. Simply a Congressman trying to make a point that being associated with certain policies can be a "sticky wicket".

ww.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08/02/rep-lamborn-apologizes-for-tar-baby-comment/
Rep. Lamborn Apologizes for 'Tar Baby' Comment - FoxNews.com
DENVER -- Rep. Doug Lamborn's office says the Colorado Republican regrets any misunderstanding over his comments on a Denver-based radio show.

Lamborn spoke to KHOW-AM Friday. He was responding to comments about whom voters would hold responsible for actions on the nation's debt ceiling when he said he thought voters would blame the president.

Lamborn said: "Now I don't want to even have to be associated with him. It is like touching a tar baby and you get it -- you're stuck, and you're part of the problem now."

Some people consider the term "tar baby" to be a racial epithet.

Lamborn's spokeswoman Catherine Mortensen said in a written statement Monday that Lamborn simply meant to refer to a sticky situation. She says Lamborn sent an apology letter to President Obama.

I wholly encourage you to use it frequently when you do business.

Should bring in the bucks.

When does treating someone differently cross from being "sensitive" into being racist?

Would we even be having this conversation if Senator Reid had said "Working with the Tea Party, giving into their demands, is like a 'tar baby'. My constituents wouldn't forgive me"?

What difference does it make when I joined? Your source indicates that Biden denied using that word terrorism. He also has said he doesn't think the word is appropriate in your source. Guess you read whatever you want into things.

You must have graduated 'Propellor-Head Cum Laude' from a liberal college (ain't most of 'em?).
Figured you'd find a way to twist it.

Forum List

Back