Reorganization of the Military

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
This is as far as I know, so please correct me if you know otherwise.

In the growing and changing world, we need to change our military organization (divisions) to suit the post Cold-War era. Currently, there are many divisions in teh Army (other branches may be differant), each specializing in it's own specialty i.e. Infantry, Aviation, ect. I propose that it is changed to divisions becoming more like task forces.

Let's say that "Task Force 1" would have roughly the same might and manpower as a division, which would have about 4 battalions. Each battalion would have differant companies, each with relatively it's own specialty. For intance, A company 1st Btn. 1 Div. would have a platoon of armored cav, a standard infantry platoon, mortars, air, ect.

This would make deployment much easier, especially on small-scale operations frequent of the time. Instead of using air power from one division supported by arty of another, and used with infantry of another, one task force could be self-suportive and deploy as an entire unit.

This may or may not pay for itself in the long run, having to mobilize and shift to ensure that each base has all the appropriate forces in it. I'm pretty sure this is what the Marine Corps does, I could be wrong though. What do you think?

Semper Fi said:

In the growing and changing world, we need to change our military organization (divisions) to suit the post Cold-War era. Currently, there are many divisions in teh Army (other branches may be differant), each specializing in it's own specialty i.e. Infantry, Aviation, ect. I propose that it is changed to divisions becoming more like task forces.

Let's say that "Task Force 1" would have roughly the same might and manpower as a division, which would have about 4 battalions. Each battalion would have differant companies, each with relatively it's own specialty. For intance, A company 1st Btn. 1 Div. would have a platoon of armored cav, a standard infantry platoon, mortars, air, ect.

This would make deployment much easier, especially on small-scale operations frequent of the time. Instead of using air power from one division supported by arty of another, and used with infantry of another, one task force could be self-suportive and deploy as an entire unit.

This may or may not pay for itself in the long run, having to mobilize and shift to ensure that each base has all the appropriate forces in it. I'm pretty sure this is what the Marine Corps does, I could be wrong though. What do you think?

I'm with ya on this..It was done in 1965..."Custers" 7th cav was reborn to deploy to Vietnam...using a untried Huey UH1B assault vs conventional paratroop assault...it worked out rather well and defeated a NVA battalion using only one company...also may it be known that they deployed from the states for this direct assault...I say bring our troops home from Europe...they hate us anyway...and the money would be well spent...(here) :salute:

Semper, not sure about the other branches, but the Army is handling this change right now, creating "modular" units of brigade sizes. There are several different types of modular Brigade Combat Teams (BCTs): light infantry, heavy (armored), Stryker, aviation, artillery, and support, to name a few. This will allow combatant commanders to tailor their forces to a mission more easily.

Semper Fi said:

Lots and lots of changes coming for the Army...modular units with "plug n' play" capability. The commander will be able to tailor his force to meet the mission requirements. They are being called Units of Action (UA) for Brigade and below and Units of Employment (UE) for division and above.

CSM said:
Lots and lots of changes coming for the Army...modular units with "plug n' play" capability. The commander will be able to tailor his force to meet the mission requirements. They are being called Units of Action (UA) for Brigade and below and Units of Employment (UE) for division and above.

They definately wont regret it. It seems that it would make deployment and operations so much more easier. I'm glad it will happen soon.

Might need some modification for some special units but over all it sounds good. Now days a brigade has so much more firepower and punch that its the equilant of about three divisions from World War 2.

I was in the 196th Light Infantry Brigade in Vietnam. We were a seperate brigade from 1966 until 1968 whenthey combine the unit with others to form the Americal Division.In 71 the brigade was back to and independant again and was the last combat unit to leave Vietnam.

Even back then we had the capability of putting the 3 battalions of infantry anywhere in the world within 18 hours and the entire brigade there in 3 days. When the six day war broke out in Isreal we were on alert to be ready with bags packed and transports were sitting on the runways at Chu Lai. You could say we were the reaction force of the time.

Our brigade was made up somewhat as you discribed with artillary, armor, tracks and helicopters.

Forum List

Back