Reopening Horse Slaughterhouses

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
Should we re-open horse slaugher facilities in the U.S.?

It's a hard argument - I adore horses and I think it's no exageration to say that our civilization owes much to the horse - in fact, our success was built was built upon the back of the horse. But in this economic downturn - horses are a luxury, and they are a very expensive luxury and the first, quite often to suffer neglect and abandonment. One of the big reasons behind closing slaughterhouses was the cruelty involved in the transportation and the slaughtering process but that is even worse now as they are being shipped even further to Mexico where they have even fewer protections. I just wonder - if strict humane guidelines can be enforced - it it isn't better to reopen slaughter houses or if there are better alternatives?

This was one quote I read in favor:

When the plants were open there was an outlet for our cull horses , the sick, lame dangerous, unwanted.. Since the closures of the U.S. plants there is a huge problem with over population and a flooded market. Our cull horses are having to be exported to foreign countries for slaughter. They are not regulated and are far less humane (Mexico). Transportation times are greater, They are often not fed and watered and some are killed on the way due to deplorable conditions

In opposition, this group suggests there are many alternatives: http://environment.about.com/gi/dynamic/of...ionnetwork.com/

Yet, I tend to think there are way to many horses already "warehoused" - for example, mustangs rounded up to keep population levels sustainable.

It's a complicated problem - but I certainly wouldn't want to see a return to the old abuses.

It's a hard argument - I adore horses and I think it's no exageration to say that our civilization owes much to the horse - in fact, our success was built was built upon the back of the horse. But in this economic downturn - horses are a luxury, and they are a very expensive luxury and the first, quite often to suffer neglect and abandonment. One of the big reasons behind closing slaughterhouses was the cruelty involved in the transportation and the slaughtering process but that is even worse now as they are being shipped even further to Mexico where they have even fewer protections. I just wonder - if strict humane guidelines can be enforced - it it isn't better to reopen slaughter houses or if there are better alternatives?

When the plants were open there was an outlet for our cull horses , the sick, lame dangerous, unwanted.. Since the closures of the U.S. plants there is a huge problem with over population and a flooded market. Our cull horses are having to be exported to foreign countries for slaughter. They are not regulated and are far less humane (Mexico). Transportation times are greater, They are often not fed and watered and some are killed on the way due to deplorable conditions

In opposition, this group suggests there are many alternatives: http://environment.about.com/gi/dynamic/of...ionnetwork.com/

Yet, I tend to think there are way to many horses already "warehoused" - for example, mustangs rounded up to keep population levels sustainable.

It's a complicated problem - but I certainly wouldn't want to see a return to the old abuses.

IF strict humane guidlines are followed i think it's a good idea. It's a big if though. We also had strict guidlines for the FDA on what can be aprroved. We all know how that went.

Yes, because I hear they taste quite nice. :lol:

Our wonderful congress - yes, the one that can't accomplish a thing to correct the myriad of problems in our country, has managed to lift the ban on killing horses for meat. What are we doing folks? Do we really want to be a sub human culture that eats beautiful animals that are not raised for food. Will we soon find dog on the menu too? What's next? They may approve the sale of aphrodisiacs, made from body parts of exotic wild creatures, to please the sex crazed human trash amoung us!

They say they need to cut "entitlements". If they mean the excessive pay received by our representatives in Washington, along with the exorbitant perks they have voted for themselves, I'm all for it. This is not government "for the people". Save the horses and lose congress. Vote the bums out!

Personally I wouldn't like to work in a slaughter house that processes lambs but I eat lamb chops. If there is a market for horse meat why not slaughter horses?

This is a hard question for true. I can off Bambi in two seconds. Fury I sob at. I don't know. And I won't even try to be smart about it.

My heart breaks at the thought of it.

The real question isn't should WE open them.

WE don't own slaugherhouses, private industries do

The real question is should we pay to have these slaugherhouses inspected by the FDA?

No. Although I love meat..there will probably be a day where people look upon us..as we look upon slave owners.

We are becoming more degenerate and more savage. It's part of the process of degeneracy.

No. Although I love meat..there will probably be a day where people look upon us..as we look upon slave owners.

I dont think so. Slavery was a social construct, something only seen in humanity, as animals lack the cognitive function to create classes amongst themselves.

Eating meat is a natural part of the biological cycle. Predation is a required balance in nature.

Humans are naturally omnivores, we are not slave masters by nature.

Animals eat other animals. Like watching Nat Geo when lions, tigers and whatnot bring down their prey, suffocate it with a bite to the throat, and then gorge on its meat and stuff right down to the bones.

Our wonderful congress - yes, the one that can't accomplish a thing to correct the myriad of problems in our country, has managed to lift the ban on killing horses for meat. What are we doing folks? Do we really want to be a sub human culture that eats beautiful animals that are not raised for food. Will we soon find dog on the menu too? What's next? They may approve the sale of aphrodisiacs, made from body parts of exotic wild creatures, to please the sex crazed human trash amoung us!

They say they need to cut "entitlements". If they mean the excessive pay received by our representatives in Washington, along with the exorbitant perks they have voted for themselves, I'm all for it. This is not government "for the people". Save the horses and lose congress. Vote the bums out!

I adore horses, but I think Congress is doing the right thing. The alternative is often death due to neglect, abandonment, or lengthy and inhumane transports to foreign countries for slaughter where regulations regarding humane slaughter are non-existant or unenforced.

Forum List

Back