Renting apartments in your home

xotoxi, I've heard you are a wealthy doctor who really doesn't need a rental income. I suggest you do something for your online community like convert the apartment into a free health clinic for disinfranchised message board addicts that can no longer afford health insurance due to having quit their jobs so that they can have more time keeping up with your inane posts.

O for fuck's sake Anguille, it is an interesting subject. If you happen to find it "inane", move on. There's no reason to hassle anyone just for asking questions.

Did the log on for USMB include a pledge to be an asshole today? This seems to be a trend among USMB'ers just now...bitching at people because their Ops are not "of sufficient quality". If your time is so fucking precious, then DO something with it. Me, I'm just here screwing off and having a good time.
Are you sure you're having a good time, Madeline? You sound like a major crankypants to me with a broken humor detector. You assume that I think inanae post are a bad thing. Far from the truth.
I suggest that, if the good doctor does take up my suggestion and opens a clinic for message board burnouts, you make an appointment right away.

xotoxi, I've heard you are a wealthy doctor who really doesn't need a rental income. I suggest you do something for your online community like convert the apartment into a free health clinic for disinfranchised message board addicts that can no longer afford health insurance due to having quit their jobs so that they can have more time keeping up with your inane posts.

O for fuck's sake Anguille, it is an interesting subject. If you happen to find it "inane", move on. There's no reason to hassle anyone just for asking questions.

Did the log on for USMB include a pledge to be an asshole today? This seems to be a trend among USMB'ers just now...bitching at people because their Ops are not "of sufficient quality". If your time is so fucking precious, then DO something with it. Me, I'm just here screwing off and having a good time.
Are you sure you're having a good time, Madeline? You sound like a major crankypants to me with a broken humor detector. You assume that I think inane posts are a bad thing. Far from the truth.
I suggest that, if the good doctor does take up my suggestion and opens a clinic for message board burnouts, you make an appointment right away.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I'm considering purchasing a home with an attached one bedroom apartment that I could rent.

As you understand it, what are the laws regarding renting an apartment and to whom I chose to rent?

The ideal tenant for me would be a single graduate student at a nearby college, because they would likely be quiet, and their time frame for renting would be year to year. I wouldn't want anyone who would party hard, and I don't want families with kids or pets.

Not to mention wanting to avoiding renting to blacks, hispanics, muslims, or gays. (Kidding of course)

I have owned apartments and even the best tenant can have relatives or friends, you would never want to see again and often the tenant lets them have their way. I have horror stories. If you do this, the most important first thing to acquire is a rental agreement contract drawn up by an attorney. You will never regret this. And ALWAYS check their references from up to a year before and check their criminal record. You must CYA. :)

I've owned rental property too. It's not for the softhearted. You can't let people get behind on their rent whatever their reason.

I've owned rental property too. It's not for the softhearted. You can't let people get behind on their rent whatever their reason.

Shit, I'd be a Gret Slum Lord......:eusa_whistle:

Don't forget, there is rat upkeep.

Well, tenents must eat something, I suppose, but I'll add it to their rent:

fried_rat_looking_delicious.jpg

The place I'm buying here has a small house, older but completely remodeled, and a three car, two story shop. The shop is all plumbed with drains and is heated with A/C. The upstairs is all insulated, sub floor, a couple stud walls in for lay out, but basically needs a total finish which I plan on doing once I close on the place, and I plan on living up there. It's actually bigger than the house. But just about everybody I've talked to when I tell them what I'm going to do asks if I'm planning on renting the house out then, and my answer is a resounding NO! I have a few friends that own rental properties, and all I've ever heard from them is HORRIFYING stories of property destruction, non payment and court proceedings for evictions. There is no way I'm going through that. An extra $600 or $700 bucks a month isn't worth the hassle.

But, in your case xo, I would say that if you do go through with your plans, just interview prospective renters and pick the one you want after you thoroughly vet them. Screw the laws. You pick the one you want. It's your property, it's your decision.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back