Renting apartments in your home

Besides the obvious discriminatory no-no's, I'm not sure what the exact laws are. I would imagine they vary from municipality to municipality.

I do know that it if you don't like the "look" of a tenant, you can make a bunch of silly rules on the spot that would dissuade them from wanting to rent.

Why would anyone make a bunch of silly rules on the spot, when the property manager/owner can just simply say that there are other applications being considered also.

Because some people waffle or are desperate.

Had it happen to us a couple of times when we were looking to rent a house. The owner wasn't quite sure that he wanted to rent to us, so he was saying no pictures on the walls (ever), no objects kept on the back patio (where do I put the grill?) etc.

Rules do sound off the charts..Unfortunately unless you can prove it was a discrimination act, assholes like that will make up shit out their ass.

Why would anyone make a bunch of silly rules on the spot, when the property manager/owner can just simply say that there are other applications being considered also.

Had it happen to us a couple of times when we were looking to rent a house. The owner wasn't quite sure that he wanted to rent to us, so he was saying no pictures on the walls (ever), no objects kept on the back patio (where do I put the grill?) etc.

Rules do sound off the charts..Unfortunately unless you can prove it was a discrimination act, assholes like that will make up shit out their ass.

Yeah, he was weird. I think he was making up the rules to keep his options open. If we rented, great, he has an income. But he was setting it up where he could kick us out over the smallest thing.

Nothing hung on the walls? NO pictures throughout the entire house?

Yeah, he was weird. I think he was making up the rules to keep his options open. If we rented, great, he has an income. But he was setting it up where he could kick us out over the smallest thing.

In my experience, there are few types of people more whacked out lunatic psycho than landlords.

They're so fucking weird.

xotoxi, I've heard you are a wealthy doctor who really doesn't need a rental income. I suggest you do something for your online community like convert the apartment into a free health clinic for disinfranchised message board addicts that can no longer afford health insurance due to having quit their jobs so that they can have more time keeping up with your inane posts.

O for fuck's sake Anguille, it is an interesting subject. If you happen to find it "inane", move on. There's no reason to hassle anyone just for asking questions.

Did the log on for USMB include a pledge to be an asshole today? This seems to be a trend among USMB'ers just now...bitching at people because their Ops are not "of sufficient quality". If your time is so fucking precious, then DO something with it. Me, I'm just here screwing off and having a good time.

We've seen your "pictures", Radioman. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

*Laughs*

Make sure the house you buy is zoned for being a two "family" unit or whatever they say.

There is actually a show on HGTV, all about doing what you want to do. The guy gives tips on zoning laws, and how to get more money for your unit.
And if you don't want the parties, rent to a girl. :D

If you rent to a girl, and she is unable to come up with the rent when it's due, you could work something out like having her do your laundry or something even better!

LIKE SAMMICHES!!! :eusa_drool:

Just discriminate and don't give reasons why if anyone asks. The laws encourage you to keep your discrimination (whether rightly or wrongly) private so keep it that way...

xotoxi, I've heard you are a wealthy doctor who really doesn't need a rental income. I suggest you do something for your online community like convert the apartment into a free health clinic for disinfranchised message board addicts that can no longer afford health insurance due to having quit their jobs so that they can have more time keeping up with your inane posts.

Wealth is realtive...especially when you owe $180,000 in student loans.

Ouch! That's a huge debt load, xotoxi. Mebbe go practice medicine in Alaska and wipe it out? Do they still offer such forgiveness to doctors?

BTW, when I do this ◄ with my elbow, my pinky moves like this ►...what do you think could be causing that?

Make sure the house you buy is zoned for being a two "family" unit or whatever they say.

There is actually a show on HGTV, all about doing what you want to do. The guy gives tips on zoning laws, and how to get more money for your unit.

Or a really nerdy guy.
NerdSmiley.gif

xotoxi, in most states a home's legal occupants and their relationship can be controlled by a municpal zoning ordinance. You cannot collect rent on an illegal apartment, so if your property is not already zoned "2 family" or whatnot, you'll need to get a variance or whatnot. T'aint all that hard, mostly busywork...but in some cities, you'll need fire separation etc. for the apartment unit before they approve it for rent. Call your city councilman's staff; they should be able to help you get started.

As for how to choose a tenant, you may or may not be able to turn away a parent and child. In some areas, discrimination against minors by landlords is illegal, so check. The lease itself should be in writing, signed by both parties over a certified check for any deposit and the first months' rent -- no money, no signed lease, then no keys to the apartment. Under NO circumstances should you allow anyone to take occupancy without 100% of the costs paid in advance.

You can run a credit check on prospective tenants but while this is a great idea, it won't tell you all you need to know. Get them to tell you the names and phone numbers of previous landlords for the past 2 years and call them. Seems obvious, but I have had many people get the references but not make the calls. You can pass the cost of the credit check on to prospective tenants, and they need to sign a rental application. Both the application and the lease should be widely available for you online for free; just choose ones drafted for your state. Your banker should be able to tell you how to run a credit report on someone else.

After they have moved in, go see the place about 30 days later. Most destructive tenants will show their cards by then. If you are worried, evict asap. It never gets better.

You stupid fucking huge blue font idiot. Do you ever read what you respond to?

"I'm considering purchasing a home with an attached one bedroom apartment that I could rent."

Thank you, Dante...for protecting me from that blue-colored large serif font troll Madeline!

She accosted me in this thread with her unwanted commentary...and I wasn't really sure how do deal with it.

But then you came along and fixed everything! Thanks! :thup:

Or a really nerdy guy.
NerdSmiley.gif

Maybe I could rent to someone and get them to join USMB.

Or a really nerdy guy.
NerdSmiley.gif

Maybe I could rent to someone and get them to join USMB.

What are you implying??:eusa_eh:

I *cybercuddle* you for your suffering, xotoxi. Mebbe Dante will post many more times on this thread to help alleviate your terrible suffering from having read my posts.

I'm considering purchasing a home with an attached one bedroom apartment that I could rent.

As you understand it, what are the laws regarding renting an apartment and to whom I chose to rent?

The ideal tenant for me would be a single graduate student at a nearby college, because they would likely be quiet, and their time frame for renting would be year to year. I wouldn't want anyone who would party hard, and I don't want families with kids or pets.

Not to mention wanting to avoiding renting to blacks, hispanics, muslims, or gays. (Kidding of course)

I was divorced and looking to find a house for me and my three kids. In order to get a house large enough for four bedrooms and such, I needed to spend more money in hose payments than I could afford. Along comes the house a have now. It has a first floor that can be easily divided off and had been before. Two separate electric meters for example.

The plus side to renting where you already live is, it is way harder for the tenant to skip out on rent and cause too much damage before you find out. The downside is, you get who you get. First tenant was a single girl. Correction single girl with a boyfriend. All of a sudden, more utilities and the same rent.

Next one was a new Mom with no parenting skills. Left all the diapers in an open pail for a week with no air conditioning at that point.

Then there was the Mom with a teenage son who had anger issues and punched a hole in the wall.

A drunk who had trouble holding a job. This was a daughter of a coworker. Thought I was safe that time.

I think I only was shorted a few hundred bucks the three years I rented out. Not too bad really. By this time I was in better financial condition and getting remarried, so I stopped renting. It served a purpose, but I wouldn't do it again unless under severe financial strain.

Dispite the problems I had with renters. I would not suggest taking out an ad for renters. By word of mouth you help reduce people you may not want as really close neighbors. Use a month to month contract. This allows you to get rid of them quicker. Not quickly, but quicker.

Onna my bosses moved across the state and his wife wanted to keep their old house, so they rented. First tenant was a disaster; destroyed appliances, paid no rent, etc. I evicted him for my boss, free of charge. Second one was a disaster, paid sporatically, destroyed the garage door, pissed off the neighbors. I evicted him for free too. Third one was a charmer though....a pastor with a family. Credit checked, references, etc. Same damned deal....after his eviction, I told my boss he'd have to start paying me to go to court and get eviction orders for him.

They immediately put the house on the market. It sold for almost $100,000 less than it would have if they had done so when they first moved (this was during the 1990's, when prices were stable).

Residential real property is not for pussies.

Forum List

Back