Renting apartments in your home

xotoxi

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2009
Yuurmaam
I'm considering purchasing a home with an attached one bedroom apartment that I could rent.

As you understand it, what are the laws regarding renting an apartment and to whom I chose to rent?

The ideal tenant for me would be a single graduate student at a nearby college, because they would likely be quiet, and their time frame for renting would be year to year. I wouldn't want anyone who would party hard, and I don't want families with kids or pets.

Not to mention wanting to avoiding renting to blacks, hispanics, muslims, or gays. (Kidding of course)

If it's an efficiency style "room" I would consider it again but the one and only time we rented out a room became a pain in the ass we didn't need and lead to some serious wedded strife.

Female and hawt would be a good requirement I would say.

That's true...but I won't tell my wife that.

And if the tenant starts flirting with me, I can nip it in the bud by just mowing the lawn without my shirt.

Can I apply?

I wouldn't party hard, although I would most likely use drugs excessively.

I would bring home many prostitutes, but my penis is small so they won't likely make much noise at all.

xotoxi, in most states a home's legal occupants and their relationship can be controlled by a municpal zoning ordinance. You cannot collect rent on an illegal apartment, so if your property is not already zoned "2 family" or whatnot, you'll need to get a variance or whatnot. T'aint all that hard, mostly busywork...but in some cities, you'll need fire separation etc. for the apartment unit before they approve it for rent. Call your city councilman's staff; they should be able to help you get started.

As for how to choose a tenant, you may or may not be able to turn away a parent and child. In some areas, discrimination against minors by landlords is illegal, so check. The lease itself should be in writing, signed by both parties over a certified check for any deposit and the first months' rent -- no money, no signed lease, then no keys to the apartment. Under NO circumstances should you allow anyone to take occupancy without 100% of the costs paid in advance.

You can run a credit check on prospective tenants but while this is a great idea, it won't tell you all you need to know. Get them to tell you the names and phone numbers of previous landlords for the past 2 years and call them. Seems obvious, but I have had many people get the references but not make the calls. You can pass the cost of the credit check on to prospective tenants, and they need to sign a rental application. Both the application and the lease should be widely available for you online for free; just choose ones drafted for your state. Your banker should be able to tell you how to run a credit report on someone else.

After they have moved in, go see the place about 30 days later. Most destructive tenants will show their cards by then. If you are worried, evict asap. It never gets better.

When advertising for a tenant, since it's a college student you seek near a college, it must be specified.

It is against the law to reject applicants because of:

race or color
the country they came from
their religion
their sex
a physical disability
marital status

You can, of course, have them fill out an application and run their credit score. Implement no pet rules. Decide which utilities are included in the rent. You may construct a lease to keep keep and undamaged. You may charge extra after they move if there are damages.

If the applicant is refused and feels that the reason is discrimination, as listed above, then they can contact the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) by phone (800) 669-9777.

SuMar, you are right, but the landlord does not have to modify the space to suit a disabled tenant.

xotoxi, advertising is expensive. If there is a housing crunch, mebbe let the Dean's secretaries know about the unit in each department of this local college, etc.

SuMar, you are right, but the landlord does not have to modify the space to suit a disabled tenant.

xotoxi, advertising is expensive. If there is a housing crunch, mebbe let the Dean's secretaries know about the unit in each department of this local college, etc.

Exactly..May want to advertise in craig's list. A lot of students check there.

Can I apply?

I wouldn't party hard, although I would most likely use drugs excessively.

I would bring home many prostitutes, but my penis is small so they won't likely make much noise at all.

Would they be hallucinogenic drugs or would they be sedative?

Exactly..May want to advertise in craig's list. A lot of students check there.

I thought that advertising through Craig's list usually resulted in murder or prostitution.

I cannot afford that kind of trouble.

Besides the obvious discriminatory no-no's, I'm not sure what the exact laws are. I would imagine they vary from municipality to municipality.

I do know that it if you don't like the "look" of a tenant, you can make a bunch of silly rules on the spot that would dissuade them from wanting to rent.

Besides the obvious discriminatory no-no's, I'm not sure what the exact laws are. I would imagine they vary from municipality to municipality.

I do know that it if you don't like the "look" of a tenant, you can make a bunch of silly rules on the spot that would dissuade them from wanting to rent.

Why would anyone make a bunch of silly rules on the spot, when the property manager/owner can just simply say that there are other applications being considered also.

Make sure the house you buy is zoned for being a two "family" unit or whatever they say.

There is actually a show on HGTV, all about doing what you want to do. The guy gives tips on zoning laws, and how to get more money for your unit.
And if you don't want the parties, rent to a girl. :D

Why would anyone make a bunch of silly rules on the spot, when the property manager/owner can just simply say that there are other applications being considered also.

Because some people waffle or are desperate.

Had it happen to us a couple of times when we were looking to rent a house. The owner wasn't quite sure that he wanted to rent to us, so he was saying no pictures on the walls (ever), no objects kept on the back patio (where do I put the grill?) etc.

Make sure the house you buy is zoned for being a two "family" unit or whatever they say.

There is actually a show on HGTV, all about doing what you want to do. The guy gives tips on zoning laws, and how to get more money for your unit.
And if you don't want the parties, rent to a girl. :D

If you rent to a girl, and she is unable to come up with the rent when it's due, you could work something out like having her do your laundry or something even better!

xotoxi, I've heard you are a wealthy doctor who really doesn't need a rental income. I suggest you do something for your online community like convert the apartment into a free health clinic for disinfranchised message board addicts that can no longer afford health insurance due to having quit their jobs so that they can have more time keeping up with your inane posts.

Forum List

Back