Renewables are the future

ignorant_OP's_Link said:
The 20th century was the century of fossil fuels, crude oil, coal, and gas; however, the supplies of such fuels are now exhausted.
Total lie.

Why do you link to such obvious disinformation? Are you fucking stupid, or what? Is that why it baffles you so much?

Renewable sources are the future. Unfortunately despite some's protestations to the contrary, it's not remotely profitable now.

One day, it will be. You learn lessons in practical application of theory, you don't learn in theory.

My guess is 30-40 years before it passes that point though, there's some pretty serious engineering challenges that will need to be addressed when we overcome a few tech advance bottlenecks that could happen tomorrow, but probably won't be in the next decade.

Renewable sources are the future. Unfortunately despite some's protestations to the contrary, it's not remotely profitable now.

One day, it will be. You learn lessons in practical application of theory, you don't learn in theory.

My guess is 30-40 years before it passes that point though, there's some pretty serious engineering challenges that will need to be addressed when we overcome a few tech advance bottlenecks that could happen tomorrow, but probably won't be in the next decade.
I can still remember when a hand calculator was over a hundred dollars, and vcr's were around 1500 bucks...

ignorant_OP's_Link said:
The 20th century was the century of fossil fuels, crude oil, coal, and gas; however, the supplies of such fuels are now exhausted.
Total lie.

Why do you link to such obvious disinformation? Are you fucking stupid, or what? Is that why it baffles you so much?

Two words: Liberal Drone..

He has been led to beleive that wind power and solar power are reliable 100% of the time and can deal with all of our needs...

Hey libtard OP, name just one factory that is fully operating on renewables ONLY.. (wind and solar).

The ignorance is stunning..

I can still remember when a hand calculator was over a hundred dollars, and vcr's were around 1500 bucks...
:lol:

My first PC was a TRS-80. It cost about $600 and had 4k RAM. Then for another $500 I upgraded it to 16k RAM.

Yep. How many years ago was that?

the 1970's..

the 1970's..

How many years ago was that? Hence the 30-40 years estimate.

I live though that, and before too you know.

On the other hand, cars cost 3 times more than they did then. Medical care costs have grown astronomically.

On the other hand, cars cost 3 times more than they did then. Medical care costs have grown astronomically.
And gasoline is still 95% used in cars. And still no reliable replacement

Wind Turbines and Solar are not sources of energy, they simply use more of our natural rsources, Wind and Solar are products of industry, a consumable. Increased industrial production is good for the stock market, good for commodity prices, great for banks lending money, and if you have a government THAT CAN DICTATE that consumers buy this product, everybody wins except gor the people.

Solar Power Passes 1% Global Threshold

June 12th, 2015 by Guest Contributor

Originally published on EnergyPost.eu

Solar power now covers more than 1% of global electricity demand. In three countries in Europe – Italy, Germany and Greece – solar PV supplies more than 7% of electricity demand. This is reported by Solar Power Europe (previously EPIA – European Photovoltaic Industry Association). China is the fastest growing market. Research company GlobalData has adjusted projected new capacity in China for 2015 upwards.

Last year 40 GW of new solar capacity was installed worldwide, compared to 38.4 GW in 2013, notes Solar Power Europe (SPE) in its Global Market Outlook 2015-2019.

Cumulative capacity is now 178 GW. In terms of generation, this is equivalent to 33 coal-fired power stations of 1 GW, notes SPE. In Europe last year 7 GW was installed, which was less than in 2013. The UK was the fastest growing market, contributing 2.4 GW. Europe now installs less solar power capacity than China or Japan individually, but still more than the US. However, Europe is still the world’s largest player with more than 88 GW installed at the end of 2014.

China is currently the fastest growing market, installing 10.6 GW in 2014, followed by Japan with 9.7 GW and the US with just over 6.5 GW. SPE says capacity could reach 540 GW in five years’ time in a high-growth scenario and would reach 396 GW in a “low-support” case.

Global wind energy production increased 44% last year!

The numbers from 2014 bring the total global wind power capacity up to 369,553 megawatts, a number that took humanity about 40 years to reach. Last year’s total is about one seventh of that number, giving a good indication of the scale of wind power’s growth in recent times.

As Treehugger reports, “This means that, in theory, even without acceleration in the rate of growth, we could double wind capacity during the next seven years.” The green news outlet speculates that the figure would double again in just five years.

Related: China increases wind power by 23 percent in pursuit of clean energy goals

While wind had a good year in 2014 and appears to be quickly on the rise, Treehugger notes that solar growth has been outpacing wind power in recent years and will likely be the long-term winner of the green power race due to the lower manufacturing and installation cost of solar panels, as compared to wind turbines.

On top of that, solar power is likely to get continually cheaper on the back of a principle known asSwanson’s Law that states: “with every doubling of production and shipments of panels, there has been a 20 percent reduction in the cost of panels.”

Looks like both solar and wind are doing alright.

Solar power now covers more than 1% of global electricity demand. In three countries in Europe – Italy, Germany and Greece – solar PV supplies more than 7% of electricity demand. This is reported by Solar Power Europe (previously EPIA – European Photovoltaic Industry Association). China is the fastest growing market. Research company GlobalData has adjusted projected new capacity in China for 2015 upwards.

Last year 40 GW of new solar capacity was installed worldwide, compared to 38.4 GW in 2013, notes Solar Power Europe (SPE) in its Global Market Outlook 2015-2019.

Cumulative capacity is now 178 GW. In terms of generation, this is equivalent to 33 coal-fired power stations of 1 GW, notes SPE. In Europe last year 7 GW was installed, which was less than in 2013. The UK was the fastest growing market, contributing 2.4 GW. Europe now installs less solar power capacity than China or Japan individually, but still more than the US. However, Europe is still the world’s largest player with more than 88 GW installed at the end of 2014.

China is currently the fastest growing market, installing 10.6 GW in 2014, followed by Japan with 9.7 GW and the US with just over 6.5 GW. SPE says capacity could reach 540 GW in five years’ time in a high-growth scenario and would reach 396 GW in a “low-support” case.

The numbers from 2014 bring the total global wind power capacity up to 369,553 megawatts, a number that took humanity about 40 years to reach. Last year’s total is about one seventh of that number, giving a good indication of the scale of wind power’s growth in recent times.

As Treehugger reports, “This means that, in theory, even without acceleration in the rate of growth, we could double wind capacity during the next seven years.” The green news outlet speculates that the figure would double again in just five years.

Related: China increases wind power by 23 percent in pursuit of clean energy goals

While wind had a good year in 2014 and appears to be quickly on the rise, Treehugger notes that solar growth has been outpacing wind power in recent years and will likely be the long-term winner of the green power race due to the lower manufacturing and installation cost of solar panels, as compared to wind turbines.

On top of that, solar power is likely to get continually cheaper on the back of a principle known asSwanson’s Law that states: “with every doubling of production and shipments of panels, there has been a 20 percent reduction in the cost of panels.”

I bet you will not tell us how much it cost, with a link.

You see people, it is dam expensive it must be kept a secret.

Further, they also onclude all the failed Solar Plants in the World, loke Ivanpah.

Failed Solar Plants count, it does not matter if they work!

Anyhow, how did this waste of money cost in total dollars. The advocates will keep that secret.

I don't really have a problem with renewable energy having a higher cost to output currently. As I've said, you learn lessons in practical applications you don't find in theory that are invaluable.

Just be honest about it. Yes it's increasing in the percentage of overall production.....no it's not profitable yet, and won't be for the near future. But it will one day if progress continues on course.

1% of POTENTIAL OUTPUT....

In other words its bull shit and a lie.. .24% of 1% is 0.24 %

A wind farms RATED POTENTIAL OUTPUT IS NOT WHAT IT PUTS OUT!

A wind farm rated at 100Mw will only produce about 24Mw and just for 4-6 hours a day..

The left wit stupidity.. You suck it up every time... Hook, Line, .... AND SINKER!

It's gonna happen, because the industry demands change..

Oh yeah, the electric utility industry just LOVES change. Our 100+ year old substations, 60+ year old poles, 40+ year old cables and 50+ year old duct networks show a grand interest in change.

Currently a Commercial level DG site interconnexmction costs a renewable site about $1.2 million, UP FRONT. Residential connections can cost up to $20K. Not terribly affordable.

Forum List

Back