Renewable Energy Replacing Obsolete Fossil Fuels

Given your typical reluctance, I did my own search. Your material came from Watts Up With That, to whom you failed to give credit.

On the same search, I located the following articles expressing a different PoV on the same topic
Five charts showing the EU s surprising progress on renewable energy Carbon Brief

screen-shot-2015-03-10-at-114621_600x345.jpg

renewables-eu28-2013_599x393.jpg

renewables-primary-production-2013_599x393.jpg

screen-shot-2015-03-10-at-175206_599x297.jpg

renewables-electricity-production-2013_599x393.jpg

The article closes with:

Conclusion

The latest data from Eurostat suggests its on track to meet its 2020 renewables target, but progress is mixed between sectors and member states. The EU is ahead of its interim goalfor renewable heat and power, but behind in transport.

The journey doesn't end in 2020, however. The EU has a new target, agreed last October, to raise its renewable energy share to 27% per by 2030. This target is non-binding.

solar and wind will be a fringe energy source for decades yet.....

I don't know much about this but I do know some very smart, money-oriented, non-liberals telling me that solar is coming in a big way. There's a Moore's Law in solar which will make solar very competitive in a few years, even without subsidies.

This is going to leave a mark...

European Renewable Energy performance for 2014 falls far short of claims

"This has provided a nameplate electrical generating capacity of about 216 Gigawatts, nominally about ~22% of the total European generation needs of about 1000 Gigawatts.

The actual measured output by 2014 from data supplied by the Renewables Industry has been 38 Gigawatts or 3.8% of Europe’s electricity requirement, at a capacity factor of ~18% overall. "

For all of the trillions spent on eviro-wack shit the return on investment crashed and burned... WInter time is less than 14% and summer about 24 % .. just 3.8% of Europeans needs and spiratically unreliable.

Not sure why the link failed...

Source

Given your typical reluctance, I did my own search. Your material came from Watts Up With That, to whom you failed to give credit.

On the same search, I located the following articles expressing a different PoV on the same topic
Five charts showing the EU s surprising progress on renewable energy Carbon Brief

The article closes with:

Conclusion

The latest data from Eurostat suggests its on track to meet its 2020 renewables target, but progress is mixed between sectors and member states. The EU is ahead of its interim goalfor renewable heat and power, but behind in transport.

The journey doesn't end in 2020, however. The EU has a new target, agreed last October, to raise its renewable energy share to 27% per by 2030. This target is non-binding.

You use NAME PLATE or potential system output if it were working at 100% capacity 100%of the time. But that is FANTASY. In summer its about 24% of the day, in winter it is but 14-18% of the day. But even that is fantasy due to clouds, rain, snow, and lack of wind... Erratic and unreliable..

Funny that you use fantasy numbers when reality shows your numbers fraudulent..

Did you think anyone thought solar would work in the dark or that wind would work in calm air? Did you?

Last edited:

The article closes with:

Conclusion

Perfect record of misinterpreting every graph intact CrickHam. First chart is the GAP by country to the 2020 goals. The second is the GOAL.. Last chart is INSTALLED CAPACITY -- which overrates the Wind and Solar energy PRODUCED by at least a 3 to 1 ratio.

What did you THINK these charts were saying??

solar and wind will be a fringe energy source for decades yet.....

I don't know much about this but I do know some very smart, money-oriented, non-liberals telling me that solar is coming in a big way. There's a Moore's Law in solar which will make solar very competitive in a few years, even without subsidies.

Solar PV panels are now a commodity item.. Literal bloodbath competing on price.. Not so much on technology improvements. It's a mature tech.. And to go further, you'd have to entertain switching from silicon to Gallium Arsenide or other expensive exotic materials. And nobody wants a ton of Arsenic mines.

Not a Moore's law candidate because of the huge sizes involved versus semiconductor chips. SOME progress in getting less silicon waste in the process. But price now goes down via volume and "creative financing" and accounting in the total system costs..

Mr. Flacaltenn, arsenic is a by product of almost every kind of metal mine in the world. Gallium is a by product in some metal processing, and there are pyrite veins with a high content of Gallium. In fact, you could damn near get the arsenic needed out of the scale from steel processing mills. Not very economical, but would be one way of getting rid of the stuff.

Mr. Flacaltenn, arsenic is a by product of almost every kind of metal mine in the world. Gallium is a by product in some metal processing, and there are pyrite veins with a high content of Gallium. In fact, you could damn near get the arsenic needed out of the scale from steel processing mills. Not very economical, but would be one way of getting rid of the stuff.

Wouldn't be enough by material percentage. Silicon is a Column 4 on the periodic table. You need to replace it with equal amounts of what's called 3-5 material. Like the chinese take out menu. It's 50% Column 3 and 50% Column 5. So the massive AMOUNT of stuff needed would mean opening PRIMARY sources of mining those.

I BELIEVE --- a lot of the space probe panels are 3-5 material.. And we KNOW the efficiency would leap ahead, but unless we harness a 3-5 asteroid in the near future -- it's dubious.

Forum List

Back