Removing algebra as a requirement for non-STEM college majors.

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
Drop algebra requirement for non-STEM majors, California community colleges chief says

There are a growing number of educational psychologists who are advocating that non-STEM students not be forced to take Algebra to get a college degree.

College-level algebra is probably the greatest barrier for students — particularly first-generation students, students of color — obtaining a credential,” he said. “If we know we’re disadvantaging large swaths of students who we need in the workforce, we have to question why. And is algebra really the only means we have to determine whether a student is going to be successful in their life?

I think there’s a growing body of evidence and advocates that say ‘no’ — that there are more relevant, just as rigorous, math pathways that we feel students should have the ability to take,” he said."

One question I have is this. If the alternate pathway is "just as rigorous", won't it be "just as" great of a barrier? I believe a better solution is to do a better job preparing students for Algebra before they take it.

No, I disagree with this. We actually do use Algebra in our everyday lives more than we realize. I've found myself using it here and there for home remodeling, personal finances, etc. I do agree that we should drop Algebra II, especially for high school students, unless they intend on going into the sciences, and replace it with more practical courses like economics, personal finance, etc.

Next they will be dropping everything that does not strictly apply to the major.

Then you will have training, not education.

Leave the algebra in.

Drop algebra requirement for non-STEM majors, California community colleges chief says

There are a growing number of educational psychologists who are advocating that non-STEM students not be forced to take Algebra to get a college degree.

College-level algebra is probably the greatest barrier for students — particularly first-generation students, students of color — obtaining a credential,” he said. “If we know we’re disadvantaging large swaths of students who we need in the workforce, we have to question why. And is algebra really the only means we have to determine whether a student is going to be successful in their life?

I think there’s a growing body of evidence and advocates that say ‘no’ — that there are more relevant, just as rigorous, math pathways that we feel students should have the ability to take,” he said."

One question I have is this. If the alternate pathway is "just as rigorous", won't it be "just as" great of a barrier? I believe a better solution is to do a better job preparing students for Algebra before they take it.
I couldn't understand Algebra to save my soul when I was a teenager. I finally got a 65 on my final--on my second year of taking it, so I could get my diploma--I'm pretty sure the teacher gave me extra points for spelling my name right.
I made it 50 years without it, raised a kid, managed a household, graduated college, have been a professional for 20+ years. All without a clue how to do algebra.
So why do we have to have it again?

No, I disagree with this. We actually do use Algebra in our everyday lives more than we realize. I've found myself using it here and there for home remodeling, personal finances, etc. I do agree that we should drop Algebra II, especially for high school students, unless they intend on going into the sciences, and replace it with more practical courses like economics, personal finance, etc.

Examples please.

Seems like two separate problems. Chancellor Eloy Ortiz Oakley is only talking about students of color (code for blacks and Hispanic students) who go to community college. Second, California will need 1.1 million more workers with bachelor’s degrees by 2030 — but that only 48% of the system’s students earned a certificate or associate degree or transferred to a four-year university within six years.

Next they will be dropping everything that does not strictly apply to the major.

Leave the algebra in.

But... isn't that the point? Why do you think people go to college? To just have information? Or to have something that prepares them from a job?

Do you think anyone anywhere, would pay for college, if it did not result in a job?

Perhaps that is the problem with education in general, and why students do not take it seriously, is because half the stuff they learn, they will never use, and quickly forget.... which defeats the entire point.

And I'm speaking from experience. I went to college, and I would say about 10% of what I learned in college, I still remember.

As for specifically algebra, I both think every student should know algebra, and that it should not be taught in college.

I believe that algebra is important and needed in life... but that this is a duty of the high school. High school is supposed to give you the necessary teaching that you need for every day life.

College is for the specific information you need to have a career.

But the point of college is training for a career. Why would we go to college, just to be "educated"? That makes no sense. Why pay money to learn things, that have no value in the real world?

I couldn't understand Algebra to save my soul when I was a teenager. I finally got a 65 on my final--on my second year of taking it, so I could get my diploma--I'm pretty sure the teacher gave me extra points for spelling my name right.
I made it 50 years without it, raised a kid, managed a household, graduated college, have been a professional for 20+ years. All without a clue how to do algebra.

What career did you go into?

What career did you go into?
Teaching (language arts and adult ed) and social work

Leave the algebra in.

Why is that important? College-level algebra is not going to be particularly useful in the lives of the vast majority of students, IMO. I recently got an associate's degree and took an algebra course as part of the curriculum. I don't expect to use anything from that class in daily life. I had no problems with the course, and in fact I tend to do quite well in math, but for someone who struggles with it but isn't majoring in something for which it is relevant, why is it important?

Perhaps if college were a more affordable thing, I could more easily understand the various general requirements. Considering how expensive it can be, how many people end up with long-term debt getting a degree, the irrelevant course requirements seem like an unnecessary impediment to getting a degree. :dunno:

Oh sure eliminate Algebra....And then English and American lit.....We can't cut back on African American and women studies...that would not fit the PC education system we have....and we must continue to teach the end of the world caused by carbon and white men.....and cross gender studies...you know...much more important stuff like that...

I always had an aversion to HISTORY (names, dates, wars, YUCK!!!!) ------
I was FORCED to take two semesters of "THE DEVELOPEMENT OF
WESTERN CIVILIZATION"-----------glad I did

To me though, this is what should be taught in high school history class. Understanding how we got to where we are as a civilization.

That's not college, unless you plan on being a history teacher.

College should be for things you are actually going to use in life.

To me though, this is what should be taught in high school history class. Understanding how we got to where we are as a civilization.

That's not college, unless you plan on being a history teacher.

College should be for things you are actually going to use in life.

at one time------college---the undergraduate years were designed to
provide the student with the ability to DISCERN. Graduate school
is for career. In my town-----the one high school accommodated every kid
in town--------any attempt to educate so large and (diverse) in terms of intellect,
a class body------is very handicapped

Surviving life and getting ahead in life are entirely different things. I'm guessing you've only managed to survive thus far.
What have you managed to contribute if anything?
I hated math in school mainly because of how the teachers managed to bungle their jobs, but later on in life as an engineer and even a geodetic surveyor for awhile, I sure got a big snoot full of of it.

Forum List

Back