remington 700...misfires??

If this is the case then something needs to be done and Remington needs to answer however a lot of people and police agencies do special modifications to these rifles which could also be causing the problem. Hard to tell with only a short news blip that may or may not tell the whole story.

it was an hour show...you need to check it out ring....seems remington has known this for a while...

you have to disengage the safety to unload the gun....it fires if you touch the bolt...

This has happened to me on a 700 in .270 I purchased in 2006. I was sitting in the woods in North Georgia one morning a couple of years ago, waiting on a deer. I raised the rifle on a coyote I saw behind a tree about 100 yards away. I decided to try a shot, as it was getting later in the morning and the deer just weren't moving. As I disengaged the safety, the rifle discharged with my finger alongside the outside of the trigger guard.

I've never loaded it again, and I never will.

I'm not a big fan of Remington (won't fire ANY of their ammo out of ANY gun), but they made some good stuff before 1960 or so.

There is also a recall on the Remington .17s.....597 I think? And all of their 17HMR ammo.

it was an hour show...you need to check it out ring....seems remington has known this for a while...

you have to disengage the safety to unload the gun....it fires if you touch the bolt...
I just did some initial online research and discovered a slew of articles concerning the 700. There appears to be a flaw in the Walker trigger group that all 700s use, Remingtons contention (back in the late 70s) was only about 1% of all 700s were affected with this so called "tricking" and that was due to improper use of the safety mechanism, unfortunately the problem looks even worse as these rifles get older and wear begins to be a factor. It also appears Remingtons decision not to do a recall based on the 1% finding was a bad decision as it was done for economic rather than safety reasons and they need to be held liable for that decision.

This has happened to me on a 700 in .270 I purchased in 2006. I was sitting in the woods in North Georgia one morning a couple of years ago, waiting on a deer. I raised the rifle on a coyote I saw behind a tree about 100 yards away. I decided to try a shot, as it was getting later in the morning and the deer just weren't moving. As I disengaged the safety, the rifle discharged with my finger alongside the outside of the trigger guard.

I'm not a big fan of Remington (won't fire ANY of their ammo out of ANY gun), but they made some good stuff before 1960 or so.

There is also a recall on the Remington .17s.....597 I think? And all of their 17HMR ammo.

The 700 is a great rifle just replace the Walker trigger group with the Jewell and you'll have a great rifle again.
It ain't cheap but it's better than having an expensive club sitting around.
Jewell Rifle Trigger Remington 700, 40X with Safety 1-1/2 oz to 3 lb Stainless Steel - MidwayUSA

interesting special on the remington 700 and the deaths by misfire.

a rifle you have to disengage the safety on to unload....

I saw the documentary on this Remington 700 rifle on msnbc. Very scary, and shocking.
To think that the company knew about the dangers of this Rilfe misfireing, and possibly causing deaths, well before mass production of the Rifle,and then proceeding to produce
the Rifle, and covering up the the desigh flaw, seems criminal, and satanic that a company
can do something like this , and get away with it. People have been killed, and maimed because of this willfull negligence. Capitalism at its worse. A situation were money and profits are valued more than human life.

If this is the case then something needs to be done and Remington needs to answer however a lot of people and police agencies do special modifications to these rifles which could also be causing the problem. Hard to tell with only a short news blip that may or may not tell the whole story.
It's true the 700 will misfire when you engage the safety. Thats why I would never own one. Thats how regulating working. Be enformed and don't buy it. No need for government intervention.

This is hoiw regulating works don't buy it and they will not produce it.. BTW Remiington makes a great shotgun the 870 12 gauge, used by many police depertments

surely you dont expect someone who knows little about guns to realize THE GUN WILL FIRE WITH THE SAFETY ON

kinda defeats the whole purpose of the safety now doesnt it....

yes the government should intervene..when you are sold a gun with a safety that the gun manufactorer knows doesnt work?

it would be like selling a fire extinguisher that you know wont extinguish a fire.....

i am a gun owner and fully support the 2nd admn and our right to bear arms...but that does not give anyone the ability to produce a deadly product

surely you dont expect someone who knows little about guns to realize THE GUN WILL FIRE WITH THE SAFETY ON

kinda defeats the whole purpose of the safety now doesnt it....

yes the government should intervene..when you are sold a gun with a safety that the gun manufactorer knows doesnt work?

it would be like selling a fire extinguisher that you know wont extinguish a fire.....

i am a gun owner and fully support the 2nd admn and our right to bear arms...but that does not give anyone the ability to produce a deadly product

I agree with Bones on this one. Remington has 2 guns that unquestionably need to be recalled (the 700 and the 597). They are trying to skirt their culpability, but how many have to die before they just do the right thing and admit they made a mistake. Its going to cost money, but if you can't make ass-loads of money in today's gun industry, you're an idiot.

For the most part, everything Remington has made since 1990 is vastly inferior to other products out there. Other than the VTR, I can't think of any new Remington I'm even remotely interested in, and though everything I've heard about the VTR is good, its built on the 700 platform and that is the reason I haven't bought or sold one yet.

misfire referring to firing without touching the trigger....there have been deaths...imagine knowing you didnt touch the trigger and yet killed someone? what kinda doubts would you have? imagine shooting your leg off...cause you were carrying your rifle pointing down and with the safety on...imagine doing everything you have ever been taught about guns and still killing someone..cause it fires with the safety on and toss this in...without you touching the trigger...the military films showed it firing when someone touched the bolt...over and over

You mean an accidental discharge?

Do you have proof of this?

You mean an accidental discharge?

Do you have proof of this?

Just Google it and you will find tons of evidence. As I told Mini-14 previously if you own one replace the stock Weaver trigger group with a Jewell and that will eliminate the problem.
There are also supposedly adjustments you can make to the Weaver that will correct the problem but unless you know what you are doing I would leave that to a gunsmith.

Forum List

Back