Reminder MMA Fans - EliteXC Free on CBS tonight 5/31... Kimbo Slice vs James Thompson

That was garbage...total disaster for Gary Shaw and MMA. The production value sucked. The fans sucked. The camera work sucked. Kimbo got exposed for the fluke he is and you know extremist MMA fans will label it a fix. Lawler and Smith was well on its way to being a fight of the year candidate before the eye poke and no contest. The only positive thing was Gina Carano and that's fucking sad when one of the ladies shows up overweight and steals the show. Total garbage, IMO.

Overall, this was a terrible showing for real MMA fans who want the sport to go mainstream. CBS will probably dump MMA after this. Dana White has to be laughing his ass off right now.

Last edited:
Makes me feel glad we didn't see it here in the UK.We sometimes pick programmes up like that on the 'Fight Channel' a few days/weeks later.

Makes me feel glad we didn't see it here in the UK.We sometimes pick programmes up like that on the 'Fight Channel' a few days/weeks later.

Don't bother catching it. Unless you're into two men havng sex inside a cage. That's what the Kimbo fight appeared to be.

That was garbage...total disaster for Gary Shaw and MMA. The production value sucked. The fans sucked. The camera work sucked. Kimbo got exposed for the fluke he is and you know extremist MMA fans will label it a fix. Lawler and Smith was well on its way to being a fight of the year candidate before the eye poke and no contest. The only positive thing was Gina Carano and that's fucking sad when one of the ladies shows up overweight and steals the show. Total garbage, IMO.

Overall, this was a terrible showing for real MMA fans who want the sport to go mainstream. CBS will probably dump MMA after this. Dana White has to be laughing his ass off right now.

Traditional martial artists don't like MMA because it usually amounts to little more than thuggery. I was surprised in the Lawler fight they actually were displaying standing fighting skills. Most people I know associate MMA with fights like the Kimbo fight.

Two guys rolling around on the mat most of the fight is not going to sell to AMerican fans, IMO. There isn't enough excitement and flash involved.

Two guys rolling around on the mat most of the fight is not going to sell to AMerican fans, IMO. There isn't enough excitement and flash involved.
This seems to be the thing with MMA. Once you understand BJJ and the grappling aspect, there is SOOOOO much strategy involved. I think that part of MMA is still growing on people, but I personally find the grappling highly exciting. But you are correct, most American fans don't get that aspect of MMA and do consider it boring. The booing of the fans during the Smith-Lawler fight was ridiculous though. That was a striking war from start to finish. The same thing happened to Jamie Varner and Rob McCulloch in an extremely entertaining stand up title fight in the WEC. Yet Kimbo was treated to a hero's welcome his entire showing. Complete bullshit.

This is my problem with trying to push the product into the mainstream right now, the timing isn't right to establish a grassroots fan base. Unfortunately the UFC has all of the best fighters and the best product, so they are the ones that have to get it into the mainstream. They can do it the right way. I want to see other organizations be successful in MMA and as far as I'm concerned Gary Shaw hurt the sport with that spectacle he put on. We'll see how Affliction turns out. I'm excited about their card but I'm afraid it's going to be a letdown.

This seems to be the thing with MMA. Once you understand BJJ and the grappling aspect, there is SOOOOO much strategy involved. I think that part of MMA is still growing on people, but I personally find the grappling highly exciting. But you are correct, most American fans don't get that aspect of MMA and do consider it boring. The booing of the fans during the Smith-Lawler fight was ridiculous though. That was a striking war from start to finish. The same thing happened to Jamie Varner and Rob McCulloch in an extremely entertaining stand up title fight in the WEC. Yet Kimbo was treated to a hero's welcome his entire showing. Complete bullshit.

This is my problem with trying to push the product into the mainstream right now, the timing isn't right to establish a grassroots fan base. Unfortunately the UFC has all of the best fighters and the best product, so they are the ones that have to get it into the mainstream. They can do it the right way. I want to see other organizations be successful in MMA and as far as I'm concerned Gary Shaw hurt the sport with that spectacle he put on. We'll see how Affliction turns out. I'm excited about their card but I'm afraid it's going to be a letdown.

I actually had no problem with the Lawler fight. Leg kicks and handstrikes work for me.

I understand the strategy involved in grappling, but there's a reason professional wrestling is a work ... real wrestling is boring to the thrill-a-second mentality of most Americans.

MMA was after my time. I used to kickbox. Shootfighting was just coming en vogue about the time I stopped. While I can appreciate the aspects of groundfighting, a bum knee I have to dress up like Ironman whenever I run or practice martial arts really restricts grappling for me. I can do it, but I pay for it later.

I like watching guys go toe to toe as much as the next guy, but as a former wrestler and current BJJ player I can appreciate the subtleties of the ground game.

When Carano started trying to slip her leg under Young's chin, I started yelling "gogoplata! gogoplata!" and everyone looked at me like i was nuts :eusa_dance:

Wrestling and BJJ are very exciting IMO. Just watch NCAA tournament or Mundials highlights.

I like watching guys go toe to toe as much as the next guy, but as a former wrestler and current BJJ player I can appreciate the subtleties of the ground game.

When Carano started trying to slip her leg under Young's chin, I started yelling "gogoplata! gogoplata!" and everyone looked at me like i was nuts :eusa_dance:

Wrestling and BJJ are very exciting IMO. Just watch NCAA tournament or Mundials highlights.

I've grappled enough that I can appreciate it as a fighting art and I can appreciate grapplers' abilities. I'm not sure your average violence fan can appreciate anything but warm beer and blood though.

Speaking of gogo's, the greatest gogo fight ever.

<div><object width="420" height="323"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x2n2ko&related=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x2n2ko&related=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="323" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2n2ko_gomi-vs-nick-diaz-wwwfightwayfr_sport">Gomi vs Nick Diaz (www.fightway.fr)</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/gomi_gomgom">gomi_gomgom</a></i></div>

Re-watched that fight last night actually. Maybe Ms. Carano should go train with Cesar Gracie?
Maybe then she would be able to learn the names of the BJJ moves she puts on her opponents...

Nothing but love for Carano though. I didn't think anyone could be badass and cute at the same time, but she pulls it off. I could sit in her guard all day long.

Forum List

Back