Remembrance Day - Lest We Forget

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Isaac Brock, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Isaac Brock

Isaac Brock Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    In most of the Commonwealth countries, today is Remembrance Day. Today is a day to remember those who have fallen in the service of our country and other countries and all casaulties of war. It's not a day to dabble in the politics of who was right and who was wrong, but to remember those who fought, unquestionably for their country.

With WWI, WWII and the Korean war falling quickly from our memories, it is important to remember what the Great Sacrfice means and to remember the terrible price of war. On the 11th Day, of the 11th Month on the 11th hour, the Act of Remembrance is observed for a momment of silence. It is tradition that everyone wear a Poppy on this day over their heart. The poppy came from the terrible killing plains of Flanders in WWI, where poppies grew indescriminantly on the fertlile graves of the dead, English, Canadian, French and German.

Last year I posted "In Flanders Fields", this year I'll post "Why Wear a Poppy" by Don Crawfold.

Lest We Forget

2. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Very powerful piece. I often think of the families who suffer the loss of a loved one because of our wars. It is easy to dismiss their loss by saying they can be proud of their son's or daughter's service; but the fact is they have sacrificed as well.

3. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I loved it.. I took it with me to another board... Maybe they'll fight just a bit less today over there. :)

4. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Another great post!!!! Thanks for sharing that Isaac! :clap:

5. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Nice post Isaac! I wanted to take the kids downtown to watch the ceremonies today, but freezing rain has put an end to that idea!

6. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    thank you issac. very powerful

7. Isaac Brock

Isaac Brock Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I saw on TV the ceremonies. Isn't always odd that every Rememberance Day I can remember watching in Ottawa is cloudy and gloomy? That is, until the Veteran's March, where sun peaks out. I always found that odd and perhaps quite suiting.