Remembering the mass shooting at Luby's cafe, 23 murdered in a gun free zone....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
I saw this today and with all the uninformed beliefs of anti gunners out there and their exploitation of children who know nothing about how to keep themselves safe.....here is a reminder from another survivor of a mass shooting...where this woman lost both of her parents to a killer....in a democrat gun free zone...

WATCH: Powerful Testimony Of Luby’s Shooting Survivor Is Just As Relevant Today As It Was Decades Ago

On October 16, 1991, a man named George Hennard drove his truck into a Luby’s Cafeteria in Killeen, Texas. After crashing into the building, he opened fire on the restaurant patrons with a Ruger P89 and a Glock 17 – both handguns.

Hennard killed 23 people that day before taking his own life. Until 2007, the Luby’s Cafeteria attack stood as the deadliest mass-shooting in United States history.

Dr. Suzanna Gratia-Hupp, a survivor of the attack, later testified before Congress regarding the incident. Many years later, Gratia-Hupp’s testimony only seems to gain relevance as an indictment against ineffective, virtue-signaling gun control legislation:

----\

Now, I'd like to make something clear. I hear all this talk about how many bullets can go in a clip. I've been there – I can tell you it doesn't matter. It takes one second to switch out a clip. You could have one bullet or a hundred bullets, it doesn't matter guys, I've been there. He goes [imitates reloading a gun]. Just like that. That's not enough time to rush a man – I promise you.

When I finally realized what was occurring, I thought, "I got him," and I reached for my purse. He was maybe twelve feet away. Is it possible my gun could have jammed? Sure. Is it possible I could have missed? Sure. But I can tell you I've hit much smaller targets at much greater distances. But then I realized that a couple of months earlier, I had made the stupidest decision of my life. I took my gun out of my purse and left it in my car because as you well know, in the state of Texas, it's sometimes a felony offense to carry a gun in your purse.

I can tell you that I'm not mad at the guy who did this. As he continued, it was obvious that he was a madman. My father at that point said, “I've got to do something. He's gonna kill everybody in here,” and he rushed the man. No way. Guy turned, shot him in the chest. He went down, was obviously mortally wounded. For whatever reason, that made the man change direction and go off to my left. Shortly thereafter, someone at the back of the restaurant broke out a window. When I saw what looked like an opportunity to escape, I turned around and I grabbed my mother by the shirt collar and I said, “Come on! We've gotta run! We've gotta get out of here!” And then my feet grew wings, and I was out the back window.

As soon as I got out, I realized that my mother had not followed me out. And as I learned from the police officers, she had crawled over to where my father was, and cradled him until the guy got back around to her. [He] put the gun to her head, she looked up at him, put her head down, and he pulled the trigger. My parents had just had their 47th wedding anniversary. She wasn't going anywhere.

As I mentioned, I'm not really mad at the guy that did this, and I'm certainly not mad at the guns that did this. They didn't walk in there by themselves and pull her own triggers. The guy that did it was a lunatic. That's like being mad at a rabid dog.

I'm mad at my legislators for legislating me out of the right to protect myself and my family. I would much rather be sitting in jail with a felony offense on my head and have my parents alive.

As far as these so-called assault weapons – you say that they don't have any defense use. You tell that to the guy that I saw on a video tape of the L.A. riots, standing up on his rooftop protecting his property and his life from an entire mob with one of these so-called assault weapons. Tell me that he didn't have a legitimate self-defense use.

Just one final statement. I've been sitting here getting more and more fed up with all of this talk about these pieces of machinery having no legitimate sporting purpose, no legitimate hunting purpose. People, that is not the point of the Second Amendment. The Second Amendment is not about duck hunting – and I know I'm not gonna make very many friends saying this – but it's about our right, all of our right, to be able to protect ourselves from all of you guys up there [gestures to legislators].

I remember that. Her mother and father were killed right in front of her. She left her gun in the car, per Texas law at the time. She testified that, had she had her firearm, she could have stopped the gunman. It was her testimony that convinced me to join the NRA and become active in the gun-rights fight...so I would never be in that position where obeying the law would inhibit my ability to protect my family. Now we have Constitutional Carry in my state and a defense of the Second Ammendment enshrined in our state constitution.

When you look at the occurrences, it seems the places where we see mass shooting are the places where the law prohibits lawful firearm possesion.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back