Remembering an American tradgedy

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
Remembering an American tragedy - CBS Sunday Morning - CBS News

March 20, 2011
Remembering an American tragedy
The 146 lives lost in the 1911 Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire - mostly women and girls - helped bring the labor movement forward
Font size PrintE-mailShare5 Comments .Like this Story? Share it:

To walk by it now, it's just another building off New York City's Washington Square, part of the Greenwich Village campus of New York University. But from the ashes of a fire that once consumed its top floors, history was made. Michelle Miller offers this remembrance:

It was late in the afternoon on a beautiful spring Saturday - March 25, 1911 - 4:40 p.m., to be exact.

It was nearly quitting time at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory in New York's Greenwich Village, where 500 workers, mostly young Italian and Jewish women and girls, got ready to collect their pay, and go home.

Someone dropped a match, or a cigarette ... and within minutes the factory, which occupied the top three floors of a 10-story building, became an inferno.

Last edited:
  • Banned
This is what you are trying to chase the country back into with your union busting ideas.

Without unions sweat shops were everywhere in the US

This is what you are trying to chase the country back into with your union busting ideas.

That is pathetic, even for you. To accuse the right wing of wanting dangerous working conditions is nonsense... but it is, sadly, what we have come to expect from people who create links between the right wing and any incident or tragedy, simply to score political points. Personally, I find using the dead for political gain to be a disgraceful and disrespectful thing to do. However, I support your right to be a disgraceful and disrespectful hypocrite.

• Banned
You want unions busted and their contracts nullified by republican politicains

That is pathetic, even for you. To accuse the right wing of wanting dangerous working conditions is nonsense... but it is, sadly, what we have come to expect from people who create links between the right wing and any incident or tragedy, simply to score political points. Personally, I find using the dead for political gain to be a disgraceful and disrespectful thing to do. However, I support your right to be a disgraceful and disrespectful hypocrite.

Do they want to return to working conditions from the turn of the century? Of course not

But do they want to cut corners in order to allow business to make more profit? Of course they do. They are willing to give back safety, environmental and work environment protections all in the name of making a buck

Do they want to return to working conditions from the turn of the century? Of course not

But do they want to cut corners in order to allow business to make more profit? Of course they do. They are willing to give back safety, environmental and work environment protections all in the name of making a buck

link

Nope, we'd like to balance the needs of business with the requirement to ensure workers safety, etc. And the reason we like to balance those needs.... jobs. Overregulation kills jobs. We cannot legislate for every possible scenario... we need to take a common sense approach.

Nope, we'd like to balance the needs of business with the requirement to ensure workers safety, etc. And the reason we like to balance those needs.... jobs. Overregulation kills jobs. We cannot legislate for every possible scenario... we need to take a common sense approach.

That's the card they always play.......Making us comply to (safety,environmental,affirmative action,disabilities....) will cost jobs

In fact all major worker and environmental protections have come from the left...........and on every one of them, conservatives whined " It's going to cost jobs"

Dont fool yourselves the leaders of the right would love to send us right back to a time when business owners could deal however they wanted with employees.

IT is what they want.

I guess you don't remember this..

Fucking 11 people died. Someone should have gotten the needle for that one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yea, I remember it. Anyone been found guilty in a court of law? No. Any indictments against any individuals? No.

Hyperbole is fine.... but it's not a very intelligent response.

And.... didn't the latest report on this fiasco find issues with several companies, and a few government agencies? So, who are you planning to execute for it? Just the head of BP? Are you planning a trial first or shall we just lynch BP executives?

Seriously, you do need to get a better game.

Another American Tragedy, one that has pushed us to the brink of collapse

20swearing_600.jpg

Yea, I remember it. Anyone been found guilty in a court of law? No. Any indictments against any individuals? No.

And.... didn't the latest report on this fiasco find issues with several companies, and a few government agencies? So, who are you planning to execute for it? Just the head of BP? Are you planning a trial first or shall we just lynch BP executives?

Better game?

What part of 11 people died..don't you get?

Silly legalise crapola doesn't mitigate that.

People should be held responsible when crap like that happens. No one should be able to hide behind a fucking wall of legal protections when their actions result in the death of others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDc0n79BdLs

Better game?

What part of 11 people died..don't you get?

Silly legalise crapola doesn't mitigate that.

People should be held responsible when crap like that happens. No one should be able to hide behind a fucking wall of legal protections when their actions result in the death of others.

Yea....but all those silly rules will cost jobs!

(Translation......we will not make as much profit as we like)

Forum List

Back