Remember when stores used to be closed on Sundays?

Paulie

Diamond Member
May 19, 2007
Before consumerism decided that not even jesus was worth the lost sales?

I do.

I do.

Some stores still stay closed so their employees can go to church and spend time with their families, Hobby Lobby and Chick Filet (?) to name a few.

I worked in the mall in high school a LONG time ago, I don't remember any stores being closed on Sundays, but the mall was only open 12-5 back then.

I do.

I frankly think it should be up to the store owner. If I want to close my (hypothetical) shop on Saturday and stay open on Sunday, government shouldn't interfere.

I don't think its government's place to make us go to church.

I frankly think it should be up to the store owner. If I want to close my (hypothetical) shop on Saturday and stay open on Sunday, government shouldn't interfere.

I don't think its government's place to make us go to church.

The law here used to be if you were open Sunday, you had to be closed another day. The worst Blue Laws I ever saw were in KCMO. You just about couldn't buy squat on Sunday. It had to be worth going on across the river to KCKS.

The law here used to be if you were open Sunday, you had to be closed another day. The worst Blue Laws I ever saw were in KCMO. You just about couldn't buy squat on Sunday. It had to be worth going on across the river to KCKS.

Here in Indiana Car Dealerships, Liquor Stores and Bars have to be closed on Sundays. The only way a bar can stay open on a Sunday if their food sales are a certain percentage to their liquor sales. (not sure of the exact figure)

Here in Indiana Car Dealerships, Liquor Stores and Bars have to be closed on Sundays. The only way a bar can stay open on a Sunday if their food sales are a certain percentage to their liquor sales. (not sure of the exact figure)

So you're in the Holy Land of Indiana, eh? Extra points if you can name the book that's from. (My favorite book, btw.) :eusa_angel:

Paramus, NJ was always a nightmare. Don't know if it still is. In my area, everything's open every day...

except you can't get italian food on mondays. ;oS

all of which, for some reason, reminds me of this bit Sam Kinnison used to do about performing and winding up in dry states and being unable to get a drink.

Was pretty funny.

Car dealers here close on Saturday and open Sunday. Bars are open 7 days now I think. It was different when I was a kid so someone must've dumped the Blue Laws while I was gone in the Marines.

Doesn't matter for car dealers. Any deal they make on a weekend is suspect anyway because they can't finance you unless they finance you themselves.

I don't know, I'm 28 and I remember when I was little there were hardly any places open on Sundays.

There DEFINITELY weren't any banks open, but there are now.

Whatever though. It was just something that popped into my mind and I figured I'd see what others had to say about it.

I don't know, I'm 28 and I remember when I was little there were hardly any places open on Sundays.

There DEFINITELY weren't any banks open, but there are now.

Whatever though. It was just something that popped into my mind and I figured I'd see what others had to say about it.

You're just a kid!

I worked at a home improvement store in the early 80s that opened on Sunday despite the Blue Laws. They were fined a few times, but eventually were allowed to stay open. Most stores in Little Rock still don't sell alcoholic beverages during certain hours on Sunday. I don't agree with it, but I don't drink so I guess I don't really care.

thats the goddamn truth. I, for one, am glad that society has finally learned to function on Sundays. Blue laws are three shades of retarded.

You're just a kid!

I worked at a home improvement store in the early 80s that opened on Sunday despite the Blue Laws. They were fined a few times, but eventually were allowed to stay open. Most stores in Little Rock still don't sell alcoholic beverages during certain hours on Sunday. I don't agree with it, but I don't drink so I guess I don't really care.

Okay .. so your christ wants you to kill all your braincells but not to be productive in the least .... very backwards.

I remember those days.

It was a better world, in my never humble opinion.

Back in those days, the so called retail managers didn't have to work seven days a week because they were afraid of losing their jobs if they didn't.

Being from Pennsylvania originally, I can remember when you couldn't get a drink on Sundays unless you were a member of a private club, too.

Slowing things down a bit is, I think, basically healthier for American families.

Many stores here in PA are are either closed or have limited hours on Sundays. Alcohol isn't sold either which I guess would be terrible for some of you who can't seem to go one day without a drink. I've learned to keep a supply of those things I need on hand just in case the stores are closed. Imagine that!

I grew up in L.A. and I lived in Tokyo but I prefer small town living anyday!

Okay .. so your christ wants you to kill all your braincells but not to be productive in the least .... very backwards.

:lol: Your posts always make me laugh. I can see the future headline now:

"Seattle resident and Java Coder goes berserk killing 5 people in her office before taking her own life."

Forum List

Back