Remember When Democrats Used To Support Religious Freedom?

And serve the cake at our reception they'll say, while their friends get drunk and have gay sex on the dance floor. No straight wants to see that. Watch a gay pride parade in person or on YouTube sometime. It's against their Christian, Jewish, Muslim religion to be involved in gay rituals. Freedom of religion protects that. You will lose in the Supreme Court over this. And it looks like it will come to this. You can't write a law requiring people to go against their religious freedoms. This law affirms freedoms. Indians smoke peyote because of this law. SCOTUS says so.

actually, the Indians got their right to smoke Peyote struck down by the courts, which is why they passed RFRA to start with.

I'm just wondering, do you really think gay folks have orgies at their weddings?

Well of course. It was a Democrat. a video at the site of the narrow minded far right Clinton signing this

SNIP:
March 26, 2015 By Bill Clinton
Remarks on Signing the Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993
November 16, 1993

Thank you very much, Mr. Vice President, for those fine remarks and to the Members of Congress, the chaplains of the House and the Senate, and to all of you who worked so hard to help this day become a reality. Let me especially thank the Coalition for the Free Exercise of Religion for the central role they played in drafting this legislation and working so hard for its passage.

It is interesting to note, as the Vice President said, what a broad coalition of Americans came together to make this bill a reality; interesting to note that that coalition produced a 97-to3 vote in the United States Senate and a bill that had such broad support it was adopted on a voice vote in the House. I’m told that, as many of the people in the coalition worked together across ideological and religious lines, some new friendships were formed and some new trust was established, which shows, I suppose, that the power of God is such that even in the legislative process miracles can happen. [Laughter]

We all have a shared desire here to protect perhaps the most precious of all American liberties, religious freedom. Usually the signing of legislation by a President is a ministerial act, often a quiet ending to a turbulent legislative process. Today this event assumes a more majestic quality because of our ability together to affirm the historic role that people of faith have played in the history of this country and the constitutional protections those who profess and express their faith have always demanded and cherished.

ALL of it here:
Remember When Democrats Supported Religious Freedom

Remember when 'religious freedom' wasn't synonymous with persecution, discrimination, and subjugation?

"Jay-a-zus" your argument is retarded. How is the baker/shop owner required to participate in the whore's nightly sexual escapades in order to conduct business with her? Now explain how a baker isn't required to serve cake at a gay reception? According to your side, the PA says he must subject himself to what he would call a sin.

Your arguments fall to pieces.

But you miss my point. People engage in things the bible says are "sins" all the time. Eating pork and Shellfish, women wearing pants, women wearing braids and jewelry, women talking in church (don't say your own vows, ladies! Baby Jay-a-zus will cry.)

This isn't about living a holy life, this is about trying to dress up your bigotry in vestments.

Of course marriage is a religious sacrament, that is one of the whole points for supporting gay marriage over civil unions.

RFRA's changed as a result of another idea considered ludicrous 20 years ago: Obamacare. (see SC Hobby Lobby case) Forcing christian employers to buy abortifacients, in part, led us to this brand new hell. And RFRA's still do not allow discrimination.

I won on marriage fwiw as I am pro-gay marriage. That does not mean I'm in favor of forcing your wedding planner to plan your wedding at gunpoint.

Well, I'm not sure, who has the gun again?

The wedding planner has a choice. She can offer the service she advertised and promised to deliver.

Or she can find something else to do for a livelihood.

PA violates the 1st Amendment. We now have something to take to SCOTUS. When a law butts heads with the Bill of Rights, it doesn't fare well. Thanks to your side's insistences, blacks may be sitting outside lunch counters for awhile until the PA law gets revised so you jackasses can't use it to claim straights have to participate in gay rituals.

Guy, we had this argument 40 years ago, when some asshole decided that his religious rights meant he didn't have to serve food to black people.

You lost then. You'll lose now.

But it probably won't get that far. Big COrporations are already telling the GOP to knock it the fuck off. And because Corporations rate Higher than Jay-a-zus in Republican eyes, they will.

There is no 'cure' for homosexuality, but there is a cure for xenophobia.

The impossibility of neutrality is not just totalitarian, it's frankly quite boring. Being tolerent should be enough and forced celebratory approval is a creepy step way over the line.

No one is forcing celebratory approval.

The issue of Public Accommodation is settled law. If you have a business and you are offering goods and services to the public, you have to offer them to all the businesses you like. you can have a religion. Your business cannot, because it is a public accommodation.

As always, your post is a big fat lie.

Well of course. It was a Democrat. a video at the site of the narrow minded far right Clinton signing this

SNIP:
November 16, 1993

Thank you very much, Mr. Vice President, for those fine remarks and to the Members of Congress, the chaplains of the House and the Senate, and to all of you who worked so hard to help this day become a reality. Let me especially thank the Coalition for the Free Exercise of Religion for the central role they played in drafting this legislation and working so hard for its passage.

It is interesting to note, as the Vice President said, what a broad coalition of Americans came together to make this bill a reality; interesting to note that that coalition produced a 97-to3 vote in the United States Senate and a bill that had such broad support it was adopted on a voice vote in the House. I’m told that, as many of the people in the coalition worked together across ideological and religious lines, some new friendships were formed and some new trust was established, which shows, I suppose, that the power of God is such that even in the legislative process miracles can happen. [Laughter]

We all have a shared desire here to protect perhaps the most precious of all American liberties, religious freedom. Usually the signing of legislation by a President is a ministerial act, often a quiet ending to a turbulent legislative process. Today this event assumes a more majestic quality because of our ability together to affirm the historic role that people of faith have played in the history of this country and the constitutional protections those who profess and express their faith have always demanded and cherished.

ALL of it here:
Remember when "religious freedom" didn't mean the freedom to discriminate against others?

It never meant that.

Are you serious?

It was liberals who invented it. They believe in freedom so deeply, they formed an entire country around it and later wrote something called the Bill of Rights to protect it.

Then along comes modern-day Republicans with their sharia laws based on their version of the bible.

It's a growing concern; the only difference between fanatical Christianity and fanatical Islam is usually a sheet and a pointy white hat.

Yeah, right, because Christians cut people's heads off every day. When Christians start throwing queers off of buildings, perhaps someone will listen to your idiocies. . . . . . .

Nah.

REmember when religious freedom (except for the Southern Baptists) didn't mean the freedom to treat your fellow Americans as 2nd class citizens and try to get the secular law on your side?

You mean remember when heterosexual people didn't turn up their noses at queer activities. No, I don't remember that because it never happened. Until quite recently the law always allowed people to decline the patronage of queers.

SNIP:
November 16, 1993

ALL of it here:

Remember when 'religious freedom' wasn't synonymous with persecution, discrimination, and subjugation?

Declining to bake a cake isn't "persecution," Nimrod.

Frankly I'm getting a little tired of your dishonesty Stephanie. You know damn well that Clinton never meant for that law to apply to Republicans. :p (any more than laws against sexual assault were meant to apply to Clinton) (or transparency laws were meant to apply to Other-Clinton)

It's well past time for you to get on the "Celebrate Conformity" train with our moral and intelectual betters on the Left. If you don't they will come for your job next!

National Review

"Bob Hope, touring the world in the year or so after the passage of the 1975 Consenting Adult Sex Bill:

“I’ve just flown in from California, where they’ve made homosexuality legal. I thought I’d get out before they make it compulsory.”

For Hope, this was an oddly profound gag, discerning even at the dawn of the Age of Tolerance that there was something inherently coercive about the enterprise. Soon it would be insufficient merely to be “tolerant” — warily accepting, blithely indifferent, mildly amused, tepidly supportive, according to taste. The forces of “tolerance” would become intolerant of anything less than full-blown celebratory approval."

Celebrate Conformity SteynOnline

"...free speech was certainly a right, but it was merely one in a whole range of competing rights - such as "equality" and "diversity" - that needed to be "balanced". What the "balancing" boils down to is that you get fired if you are an apostate from the new progressive groupthink."

sexual assault? what are you talking about? :cuckoo:

SNIP:
November 16, 1993

ALL of it here:

Declining to bake a cake isn't "persecution," Nimrod.

opening a business to serve the public and denying parts of the public access for no reason but for discrimination IS persecution....nimrod.

Are you serious?

It was liberals who invented it. They believe in freedom so deeply, they formed an entire country around it and later wrote something called the Bill of Rights to protect it.

Then along comes modern-day Republicans with their sharia laws based on their version of the bible.

Oh good....you have the new talking points...sharia law......as you guys help iran and the other muslim brother hood backed countries actually spread sharia law around the world........

So.....hiring gay employees at your bakery, selling baked goods to gay people for all events and occasions.....and then saying, well....we can't sell a wedding cake...we can sell everything else to you for any other reason at any other time...but in this, our religious beliefs make it impossible for us to make this one type of cake for this one event....

And that equals sharia law.............you guys are so vile it is indescribable how vile you are......

Are you serious?

It's a growing concern; the only difference between fanatical Christianity and fanatical Islam is usually a sheet and a pointy white hat.

Yeah, right, because Christians cut people's heads off every day. When Christians start throwing queers off of buildings, perhaps someone will listen to your idiocies. . . . . . .

Nah.

Perhaps you don't recall the lynchings in the South and 4 black girls getting blown up in a church in Montgomery....

Are you serious?

Nah.

Perhaps you don't recall the lynchings in the South and 4 black girls getting blown up in a church in Montgomery....

Oh....you are confused....democrats did the lynchings and blew up that church.....Christians follow the 10 commandments and one of the big ones....Thou shalt do no murder......and if you murder...you are not adhering to Christian teachings....you are going against them....probably why democrats don't like religious freedom...can't have people teaching that murder is wrong...considering it was one of the primary tools of the democrat party before they learned to just use the vote......

Frankly I'm getting a little tired of your dishonesty Stephanie. You know damn well that Clinton never meant for that law to apply to Republicans. :p (any more than laws against sexual assault were meant to apply to Clinton) (or transparency laws were meant to apply to Other-Clinton)

It's well past time for you to get on the "Celebrate Conformity" train with our moral and intelectual betters on the Left. If you don't they will come for your job next!

National Review

"Bob Hope, touring the world in the year or so after the passage of the 1975 Consenting Adult Sex Bill:

“I’ve just flown in from California, where they’ve made homosexuality legal. I thought I’d get out before they make it compulsory.”

For Hope, this was an oddly profound gag, discerning even at the dawn of the Age of Tolerance that there was something inherently coercive about the enterprise. Soon it would be insufficient merely to be “tolerant” — warily accepting, blithely indifferent, mildly amused, tepidly supportive, according to taste. The forces of “tolerance” would become intolerant of anything less than full-blown celebratory approval."

Celebrate Conformity SteynOnline

"...free speech was certainly a right, but it was merely one in a whole range of competing rights - such as "equality" and "diversity" - that needed to be "balanced". What the "balancing" boils down to is that you get fired if you are an apostate from the new progressive groupthink."

sexual assault? what are you talking about? :cuckoo:

Eileen Wellstone, a 19-year-old English woman, said Clinton sexually assaulted her after she met him at a pub near the Oxford where Clinton was a student in 1969. In fact, Clinton was expelled from Oxford and earned no degree there.

Juanita Broaddrick, a volunteer in Clinton’s gubernatorial campaign, said he raped her in 1978. Mrs. Broaddrick suffered a bruised and torn lip, which she said she suffered when Clinton bit her during the rape. Broaddrick gave a stunning interview to NBC’s Lisa Myers about the assault.

Carolyn Moffet, a legal secretary in Little Rock in 1979, said she met Gov. Clinton at a political fundraiser and was invited to his hotel room. “When I went in, he was sitting on a couch, wearing only an undershirt. He pointed at his penis and told me to suck it. I told him I didn’t even do that for my boyfriend and he got mad, grabbed my head and shoved it into his lap. I pulled away from him and ran out of the room,” she said.

Elizabeth Ward Gracen, the Miss Arkansas who won the Miss America crown in 1982, told friends she was forced by Clinton to have sex with him shortly after she won her state title. Gracen later told an interviewer that sex with Clinton was consensual. Her roommate Judy Stokes has said the ex-Miss Arkansas told her she was raped after the incident.

Paula Corbin Jones, an Arkansas state worker, filed a sexual harassment case against Clinton after an encounter in a Little Rock hotel room where the then-governor exposed himself and demanded oral sex. Clinton settled the case with Jones with an $850,000 payment.

Sandra Allen James, a former Washington, D.C., political fundraiser, said Clinton invited her to his hotel room during a political trip to the nation’s capital in 1991, pinned her against the wall and stuck his hand up her dress. She fled.

Christy Zercher, a flight attendant on Clinton’s leased campaign plane in 1992, says presidential candidate Clinton exposed himself, grabbed her breasts and made explicit remarks about oral sex. Zercher said later in an interview that White House attorney Bruce Lindsey tried to pressure her into not going public about the assault.

Kathleen Willey, a White House volunteer, said that Clinton grabbed her, fondled her breast and pressed her hand against his genitals during an Oval Office meeting in November 1993. Willey became a target for a Hillary directed smear campaign after she went public.

Why Hillary Is Not Inevitable Bill s Sordid Past The Daily Caller
Is Juanita Broaddrick Telling the Truth
Bill Clinton has the real rape problem
Bill Clinton s ong history of sexual assault
Hillary s War on Women

Clinton s list of ignored accusers - Illinois Review

• Juanita Broaddrick (AR)- rape
  • Eileen Wellstone (Oxford) - rape
  • Elizabeth Ward Gracen - rape - quid pro quo, post incident intimidation
  • Regina Hopper Blakely - "forced himself on her, biting, bruising her"
  • Kathleen Willey (WH) - sexual assault, intimidations, threats
  • Sandra Allen James (DC) - sexual assault
  • 22 Year Old 1972 (Yale) - sexual assault
  • Kathy Bradshaw (AK) - sexual assault
  • Cristy Zercher - unwelcomed sexual advance, intimidations
  • Paula Jones (AR) - unwelcomed sexual advance, exposure, bordering on sexual assault
  • Carolyn Moffet -unwelcomed sexual advance, exposure, bordering on sexual assault
  • 1974 student at University of Arkansas - unwelcomed physical contact
  • 1978-1980 - seven complaints per Arkansas state troopers
  • Monica Lewinsky - quid pro quo, post incident character assault
  • Gennifer Flowers - quid pro quo, post incident character assault
  • Dolly Kyle Browning - post incident character assault
  • Sally Perdue - post incident threats
  • Betty Dalton - rebuffed his advances, married to one of his supporters
  • Denise Reeder - apologetic note scanned

Forum List

Back