Remember The Patriot Act Kid?

Burp

Always carry, never tell
Jan 22, 2009
When a North Carolina woman accused the federal government last week of abusing the Patriot Act to imprison her teenage son for allegedly making bomb threats, the mother's allegation caused quite an uproar, including calls to free 16-year-old Ashton Lundeby.

But a new report by Wired News suggests that, not only was the teenager an online superstar in rogue tech communities for his prank phone calls, but his mother may have known all along that the boy was conspiring with others to make bomb threats.

Lundeby, known online as "Tyrone," allegedly had progressed into selling his services as a threatmaker, charging schoolchildren from across the country $5 apiece to place threatening, Internet-based phone calls that would cause administrators to shut down their schools, Wired News reports.

"I heard the prank phone calls he made," his mother, Annette Lundeby, said in the Wired report. "They were really funny prank calls."

On top of that, the U.S. Attorney's office handling the case says her story about abuse of the Patriot Act was false.

Mom Outraged by Son's Arrest Reportedly Knew of His Web Stardom for Phone Threats - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News - FOXNews.com

You know...just don't lie. It's so much easier just to tell the truth.

Sheesh.

Yes, I was wrong in my original assumptions as well. Jillian, DiamondDave, and anyone else who said the mother might be a bit of a biased source was clearly correct.

Apparently the Patriot Act has nothing to do with this case, and they had a solid enough case without it. He's apparently had three hearings which his mother was able to attend, but she chose to only attend one, and he's also apparently had full access to a lawyer.

Not a bomb terrorist he is more like a profiteer gangsta wannabe. Thanks for the update.

Ok, I have to admit being taken in by this story somewhat too.

The government could, and perhaps should, sue her for defamation.

And this folks, is another example of don't jump to conclusions.

Now I wonder, how did the mother think she was helping her son by lying for him? Like Burp said, just tell the truth!

First, I did say that regardless of what mom said, I suspected the boy was not innocent. I stated that I did not believe the stolen IP Address line.

Second, if the above story is correct the boy deserves to be tried and if found guilty do his time in Juvie.

Third, I still do not believe that his constitutional rights should be stripped from him before conviction. He is after all an American Citizen entitled to those rights AND he is supposed to be presumed innocent.

Try him, convict him, punish him... but don't let the government start doing these kinds of things to citizens because you are afraid of people like him.

Immie

When a North Carolina woman accused the federal government last week of abusing the Patriot Act to imprison her teenage son for allegedly making bomb threats, the mother's allegation caused quite an uproar, including calls to free 16-year-old Ashton Lundeby.

But a new report by Wired News suggests that, not only was the teenager an online superstar in rogue tech communities for his prank phone calls, but his mother may have known all along that the boy was conspiring with others to make bomb threats.

Lundeby, known online as "Tyrone," allegedly had progressed into selling his services as a threatmaker, charging schoolchildren from across the country $5 apiece to place threatening, Internet-based phone calls that would cause administrators to shut down their schools, Wired News reports.

"I heard the prank phone calls he made," his mother, Annette Lundeby, said in the Wired report. "They were really funny prank calls."

On top of that, the U.S. Attorney's office handling the case says her story about abuse of the Patriot Act was false.

Mom Outraged by Son's Arrest Reportedly Knew of His Web Stardom for Phone Threats - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News - FOXNews.com

You know...just don't lie. It's so much easier just to tell the truth.

Sheesh.
just as i figured, that moms story didnt add up

and this is what i figured too

Ashton Lundeby was charged under a long-standing law against making threats, and "this charge is unrelated to the Patriot Act," the statement says

had NOTHING to do with the PA

Last edited:
At first, I almost believed the original story, but then I saw the kids room ... too staged to be real so I am not surprised at this turn of truth.

My admiration go tothose of you who are here to acknowlege you'd been suckered into being outraged by crappy (probably intentionally crappy) reporting.

My admiration go tothose of you who are here to acknowlege you'd been suckered into being outraged by crappy (probably intentionally crappy) reporting.
we dont have journalists anymore Ed, just people with an agenda

Forum List

Back