I think I've figured out what I want.

Needs:

Sporty.
Fleet-footed.
Seats Four/four door a plus.
Style Points count.
Great Interior
$25K price range.

After reviewing the likes of S4, STi/WRX, Legacy, Mustang, I'm focusing my search here:

2004 Mazda RX8.

grayrx8.jpg

Plusses:

Seats Four comfortably - Four door, too!

rx8_gaping_side.jpg

Cutting-edge styling.
Can buy with low/no miles.
Mazda reliability.
Exceptional Handling (for a 'big' car...not in exactly the same league as my miata)
Rear Wheel Drive
6 Sp Transmission
VERY nice interior

Minuses:
Low Torque (have to really wring it out to get power, hence 9k rpm redline)
Not a Drag Racer (doesn't always FEEL fast)
Expensive to MAKE fast, should I ever desire. (Only real option is forced induction - figure $3500+ for 50-80hp)
Attention Getter - perhaps from Cops, too!

So...SOMEBODY buy my miata!! :D

driveinmiata.jpg

:D

My ideal car (because I have a long commute) would be a 1957 Buick with railroad ties for bumpers. Plenty of Bondo on all exterior surfaces and a Budget Rental car sign on each door panel. add a cracked rear windshield for aesthetics. The only thing that would be a drawback is the 1 mile per gallon gas mileage.

CSM said:
My ideal car (because I have a long commute) would be a 1957 Buick with railroad ties for bumpers. Plenty of Bondo on all exterior surfaces and a Budget Rental car sign on each door panel. add a cracked rear windshield for aesthetics. The only thing that would be a drawback is the 1 mile per gallon gas mileage.

I got a nice rusted old pickup truck to get me around in! Very comfortable, and I think I get about 4 miles to the gallon! The radio leaves much to be desired.

no1tovote4 said:
I got a nice rusted old pickup truck to get me around in! Very comfortable, and I think I get about 4 miles to the gallon! The radio leaves much to be desired.

Radio not required...in fact could be a drawback..the intent is to keep other drivers (like those in cars pictured in this thread) the hell away from you. Therefore, singing very loudly and off key is a bonus. I have a natural talent for singing off key and very loudly.

-=d=- said:
No front-wheel-drive cars... :-/

Should have listed that in the criteria I suppose :)

yeah - and you caught the price. :)

It has all the torque you want though. I test drove one. I loved it, the handling was superior to previous year's RLs, it was like it was made for curvy roads! Yeah the FWD thing is a drawback too, but in looks and style...

Personally I am in love with Corvettes but it looks like I won't get one until I am middle aged and everybody will think I am having a mid-life crisis.

no1tovote4 said:
It has all the torque you want though. I test drove one. I loved it, the handling was superior to previous year's RLs, it was like it was made for curvy roads! Yeah the FWD thing is a drawback too, but in looks and style...

Personally I am in love with Corvettes but it looks like I won't get one until I am middle aged and everybody will think I am having a mid-life crisis.

The same reason I decided against the legacy applies to the RL in terms of style; both just don't look sporty enough. They both are VERY nice looking cars, but don't envoke dreams of cresting Turn 5 at Thunderhill Raceway. :)

C5's used to be my thing...until the C6 Vette came out. I'm quite a long way from affording $40k+ for a car. :(

You and I will be able to part our Vette's next to eachother in the nursing home, eh? :D

-=d=- said:
The same reason I decided against the legacy applies to the RL in terms of style; both just don't look sporty enough. They both are VERY nice looking cars, but don't envoke dreams of cresting Turn 5 at Thunderhill Raceway. :)

C5's used to be my thing...until the C6 Vette came out. I'm quite a long way from affording $40k+ for a car. :(

You and I will be able to part our Vette's next to eachother in the nursing home, eh? :D

Yeah, but the comfort level is unimpeachable!

And yeah, we'll park our Vettes in the front parking lot of the "retirement community". We won't be able to drive any more, but we'll still be able to pick up the chicks!

sitarro said:
Hey -d- ,
How are you going to live without the top coming off .

There will definately be some adjustment period...especially on sunny days; however, my motorcycle helps me deal. :)

Forum List

Back