B. John Jones

Rookie
Oct 6, 2017
It's probably wedged in my head just because of the pride that arises remembering my letter to the editor published in the Journal of Accountancy 2 years after having graduated college. That letter was written regarding the Sarbanes-Oxley reforms then being negotiated following the Enron scandals. At that time I proposed as subtly as I knew how, what I felt was a reasonable solution to financial statement fraud by corporations. It's actually pretty simple. Just have corporations subject their financial statements to dual-audits by competing CPA firms--one firm conducting the primary audit (the brunt of the work); another auditing the primary auditor's working papers and final report. Pretty simple and cost-effective.

Granny says, "No...

... who dat?"

Sarbanes-Oxley was a series of accounting reforms taking place as a direct result of the Enron debacle, where executives at huge corporations were gaining huge executive bonuses by inflating certain figures in their financial reports to their stock-holders. One of the "Big-Five" CPA firms, as they were called then, was privy to the lying and stealing. I hate to say it, but in light of the current culture, 15 years later, I doubt that the situation has gotten any better. I wouldn't be in the least surprised to see much more ugly corporate records than were exposed then, being exposed today or tomorrow. I only say this because there needs to be such cost-effective reforms as was mentioned, at least in my view.

Forum List

Back