Remember, Remember the 5th of November

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008

It’s ironic that I use this phrase for my title. Yes, it’s from V for Vendetta but here it takes on albeit a different meaning.

I will admit, I myself am a Liberal supporting Barack Obama and Joe Biden for the highest offices in the land. I find the McCain/Palin ticket to be a horrible mistake for America if elected.

However, here I put aside my political leanings for this piece and instead would like to say a couple things.

On November 5th, no matter who is elected we must not stop as a nation and Americans in asking for the best from our government. We must not stop asking questions, demanding answers, and of course demanding the truth. If the last eight years have been any example, for the most part we have failed as a nation.

We did not question when our Gov’t wanted support to invade for Iraq as a majority. We have now found out that our original reasons for the invasion of Iraq are proven false. This is not only a stain on our current American standing but in history for us to allow as a nation for such a thing to occur.

On November 5th, things like Poverty, Global Warming, the Economic Crisis, and the wars in both Afghanistan and Iraq will not suddenly end. Our next president will be looked upon to solve such problems. We do not need a leader, we have leaders a dime a dozen. What we need now as a country is a Statesman.

A Statesman or someone who can not only lead but is regarded as a disinterested promoter of the public good.

Now, I realize that to many this may be the obvious but I paraphrase George Orwell when he said “The first duty is the restatement of the obvious.”

I have looked around to my generation, and the generations older then us and I have seen such excitement and energy that did not exist unless you look back over forty years when Robert F. Kennedy ran for the presidency before he was tragically gunned down.

Now, what we need to do is bottle that energy, keep it alive, and continue to use it after November 4th. Voting is only a small drop in the bucket of freedom and democracy.

So on November 4th if you are voting, no matter who you are voting for remember this. It does not matter if you vote Democrat, Republican, or third party. There are no blue or red states when it comes down to it. There is no Liberal or Conservative America. There is simply America and we should act as such.

In closing, I will leave you with a quote and hope that the words I say here will not be forgotten.

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.” – Albert Einstein

It’s ironic that I use this phrase for my title. Yes, it’s from V for Vendetta but here it takes on albeit a different meaning.

I will admit, I myself am a Liberal supporting Barack Obama and Joe Biden for the highest offices in the land. I find the McCain/Palin ticket to be a horrible mistake for America if elected.

However, here I put aside my political leanings for this piece and instead would like to say a couple things.

On November 5th, no matter who is elected we must not stop as a nation and Americans in asking for the best from our government. We must not stop asking questions, demanding answers, and of course demanding the truth. If the last eight years have been any example, for the most part we have failed as a nation.

We did not question when our Gov’t wanted support to invade for Iraq as a majority. We have now found out that our original reasons for the invasion of Iraq are proven false. This is not only a stain on our current American standing but in history for us to allow as a nation for such a thing to occur.

On November 5th, things like Poverty, Global Warming, the Economic Crisis, and the wars in both Afghanistan and Iraq will not suddenly end. Our next president will be looked upon to solve such problems. We do not need a leader, we have leaders a dime a dozen. What we need now as a country is a Statesman.

A Statesman or someone who can not only lead but is regarded as a disinterested promoter of the public good.

Now, I realize that to many this may be the obvious but I paraphrase George Orwell when he said “The first duty is the restatement of the obvious.”

I have looked around to my generation, and the generations older then us and I have seen such excitement and energy that did not exist unless you look back over sixty years when Robert F. Kennedy ran for the presidency before he was tragically gunned down.

Now, what we need to do is bottle that energy, keep it alive, and continue to use it after November 4th. Voting is only a small drop in the bucket of freedom and democracy.

So on November 4th if you are voting, no matter who you are voting for remember this. It does not matter if you vote Democrat, Republican, or third party. There are no blue or red states when it comes down to it. There is no Liberal or Conservative America. There is simply America and we should act as such.

In closing, I will leave you with a quote and hope that the words I say here will not be forgotten.

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.” – Albert Einstein

Talk is cheap--I expect action. I don't need inspiration nor charismatic flair. I have heard the democrats whine for years. Merely occupying the white house and congress is not action--it is not progressing. If they end up there it is because people expect them to DO SOMETHING. Time's a ticking and we don't have time for pretty speeches.

Talk is cheap--I expect action. I don't need inspiration nor charismatic flair. I have heard the democrats whine for years. Merely occupying the white house and congress is not action--it is not progressing. If they end up there it is because people expect them to DO SOMETHING. Time's a ticking and we don't have time for pretty speeches.

Well obviously people would be asking for action through question.

Figures my regular "you don't know what your talking about" folks would find something wrong with this.

Last edited:

I have looked around to my generation, and the generations older then us and I have seen such excitement and energy that did not exist unless you look back over sixty years when Robert F. Kennedy ran for the presidency before he was tragically gunned down.

Not bad for a High School student. ;)

I must say I agree with Crimson.

This ship will sail on course as it has done for 200 years or so..regardless of who wins tomorrow.

Ever hear Lennon's "Remember"?

R_FOR_RON_PAUL_by_LuigiL-2.jpg

:lol: Great picture.

My two big beefs with Ron Paul:

1.) His stance on Abortion.

2.) His stance on the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

1. Ron Paul is pro-life, that's his opinion. His stance on abortion, however, is that the federal government does not have the right to regulate abortion one way or the other. He supports the repeal of Roe v. Wade because it is un-Constitutional, as no where in the Constitution does it give the federal government power over abortion. Which means, the right to regulate abortion (if there is such a right), is delegated to the individual states under the 10th Amendment to the Constitution.

2. Another un-Constitutional piece of legislation. I will refer you to Ron Paul's actual statements on this, however.

The Trouble With Forced Integration by Rep. Ron Paul

1. Ron Paul is pro-life, that's his opinion. His stance on abortion, however, is that the federal government does not have the right to regulate abortion one way or the other. He supports the repeal of Roe v. Wade because it is un-Constitutional, as no where in the Constitution does it give the federal government power over abortion. Which means, the right to regulate abortion (if there is such a right), is delegated to the individual states under the 10th Amendment to the Constitution.

2. Another un-Constitutional piece of legislation. I will refer you to Ron Paul's actual statements on this, however.

The Trouble With Forced Integration by Rep. Ron Paul

For #1, that's his own stance but certain laws are required. Ron Paul does inject his own beliefs into abortion at least a bit.

#2 - That's what I was refering to. Of course it wasn't going to be the full blown solution, no piece of legislation will be. However, a step in the right direction is a step worth taking.

For #1, that's his own stance but certain laws are required. Ron Paul does inject his own beliefs into abortion at least a bit.

#2 - That's what I was refering to. Of course it wasn't going to be the full blown solution, no piece of legislation will be. However, a step in the right direction is a step worth taking.

1. I'm not sure what you mean by certain laws are required. If you mean the precedent set by Roe v. Wade then I think you need a refresher course in our Constitution. Abortion is not something the federal government has any power over, as per the 10th Amendment. Therefore, the ruling in Roe v. Wade is un-Constitutional. And I'll have to disagree that Ron Paul injects his own beliefs into the issue. He acknowledges the right of the states to regulate abortion, either way they choose to do so, in their own borders. Meaning that Michigan and Ohio, for instance, could have two different laws regarding abortion.

2. A "step in the right direction" is never right if it goes against the Constitution, regardless of the issue.

1. I'm not sure what you mean by certain laws are required. If you mean the precedent set by Roe v. Wade then I think you need a refresher course in our Constitution. Abortion is not something the federal government has any power over, as per the 10th Amendment. Therefore, the ruling in Roe v. Wade is un-Constitutional. And I'll have to disagree that Ron Paul injects his own beliefs into the issue. He acknowledges the right of the states to regulate abortion, either way they choose to do so, in their own borders. Meaning that Michigan and Ohio, for instance, could have two different laws regarding abortion.

2. A "step in the right direction" is never right if it goes against the Constitution, regardless of the issue.

"If it goes against the constitution"

The Constitution is a living document that needs to be changed at certain times.

Otherwise Blacks would still be slaves and women wouldn't have the right to vote.

Those two things went against the constitution for it's time.

"If it goes against the constitution"

The Constitution is a living document that needs to be changed at certain times.

Otherwise Blacks would still be slaves and women wouldn't have the right to vote.

Those two things went against the constitution for it's time.

A living Constitution is actually a dead Constitution. If we're going to have a "living" Constitution and simply let the government ignore the rule of law whenever it wants, then we might as well not have a Constitution at all. Just keep in mind with your "living" Constitution, that eventually the government is going start ignoring parts of the Constitution you'd rather they didn't.

"Oh, you don't need freedom of speech any more, that's such an outdated concept. It infringes on our ability to keep the nation safe, so anyone caught speaking out against the government will be detained from now on."

If we feel the Constitution is inadequate in addressing an issue, then the government is always free to amend it. They no longer follow the rules to amend the Constitution because it's such a long and difficult process, but there's a reason for that. Now they just circumvent the Constitution without so much as a second thought.

I absolutely disagree that blacks would still be slaves and not able to vote. It is in the Declaration of Independence that all men are created equal and have certain inalienable rights. No where in the Constitution does it say that black people are excluded from any of the rights and protections given.

I would argue that black people were free from the moment the Constitution and Bill of Rights were ratified, the problem being that nobody in power at the time would agree with me. They did not consider African-Americans people, and certainly not citizens of the United States. I'm not sure if I've argued my case on this subject coherently enough, but I think I've made my point. If not I'll be glad to try and elaborate.

A living Constitution is actually a dead Constitution. If we're going to have a "living" Constitution and simply let the government ignore the rule of law whenever it wants, then we might as well not have a Constitution at all. Just keep in mind with your "living" Constitution, that eventually the government is going start ignoring parts of the Constitution you'd rather they didn't.

"Oh, you don't need freedom of speech any more, that's such an outdated concept. It infringes on our ability to keep the nation safe, so anyone caught speaking out against the government will be detained from now on."

If we feel the Constitution is inadequate in addressing an issue, then the government is always free to amend it. They no longer follow the rules to amend the Constitution because it's such a long and difficult process, but there's a reason for that. Now they just circumvent the Constitution without so much as a second thought.

I absolutely disagree that blacks would still be slaves and not able to vote. It is in the Declaration of Independence that all men are created equal and have certain inalienable rights. No where in the Constitution does it say that black people are excluded from any of the rights and protections given.

I would argue that black people were free from the moment the Constitution and Bill of Rights were ratified, the problem being that nobody in power at the time would agree with me. They did not consider African-Americans people, and certainly not citizens of the United States. I'm not sure if I've argued my case on this subject coherently enough, but I think I've made my point. If not I'll be glad to try and elaborate.

Actually the line "All men are created equal" was used to describe how no man can be king.

However, most of those men who said "All men are created equal" owned slaves. So obviously even if they did believe in that, they didn't practice what they preached.

And they made state laws to make such things illegal for blacks. Which you agree things should be left up to the states with issues like abortion,etc.

If it was up to the states, many states would still have slavery today.

Last edited:
Actually the line "All men are created equal" was used to describe how no man can be king.

However, most of those men who said "All men are created equal" owned slaves. So obviously even if they did believe in that, they didn't practice what they preached.

And they made state laws to make such things illegal for blacks. Which you agree things should be left up to the states with things like abortion,etc.

If it was up to the states, many states would still have slavery today.

You're correct, this was quite the contradiction. As I've stated, however, at the time nobody really believed that African-Americans were people at all. They believed them to be nothing more than animalistic savages, and that they were doing them a favor. I'm not condoning this, but it's a fact. On the issue of slavery and the treatment of African-Americans, my argument is that the founders and early Americans went against the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution themselves.

Those laws were un-Constitutional.

I disagree. Every other major nation had already emancipated their slaves, and there would have been pressure on the United States to do the same from within and without the nation. Also, as I stated, slavery was un-Constitutional even before the 13th amendment.

You're correct, this was quite the contradiction. As I've stated, however, at the time nobody really believed that African-Americans were people at all. They believed them to be nothing more than animalistic savages, and that they were doing them a favor. I'm not condoning this, but it's a fact. On the issue of slavery and the treatment of African-Americans, my argument is that the founders and early Americans went against the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution themselves.

Those laws were un-Constitutional.

I disagree. Every other major nation had already emancipated their slaves, and there would have been pressure on the United States to do the same from within and without the nation. Also, as I stated, slavery was un-Constitutional even before the 13th amendment.

Again, your playing what ifs and I'm playing with your own applied solution.

You want to leave abortion up to the states.

Well guess what? For the time, the woman right to vote and Slavery would of been up to the states.

And I wonder how many states would have neither today?

And even today slavery goes on in certain ways. Example: Caste System in India. Where is the "outrage" from outside India?

India's "Untouchables" Face Violence, Discrimination

Forum List

Back