Remember Katrina?

lol .... like my husband says ... I don't know when to shut up! :lol:

I am going to add one thing .... what if you were one of those people that had no money to leave New Orleans when you were warned? Or when the water started rising in the only home you had? I am sure there were a lot of them that were in that position .. at least that or they sure were good actors and actresses. /shrug

Start walking. Or, get your ass on one of the busses provided. One doesn't need a pocket full of cash to haul ass away from a disaster.

The thing is, most of these people were not required to have flood insurance because the federal government said the levees would stop any flood. There is a moral obligation in here...if the fed says it will protect you and fails, it needs to pony up.

Link us up on that one would ya? and if they were told that flood insurance wasn't required, that in itself would not prevent them from getting some jsut in case-----you know--the reason people buy insurance in the first place ?

and here's a little idea of what SHOULD have happened the first time around--it's not that complicated.

Residents begin leaving Gulf Coast ahead of storm - Yahoo! News

Link us up on that one would ya? and if they were told that flood insurance wasn't required, that in itself would not prevent them from getting some jsut in case-----you know--the reason people buy insurance in the first place ?

and here's a little idea of what SHOULD have happened the first time around--it's not that complicated.

Residents begin leaving Gulf Coast ahead of storm - Yahoo! News
Yep, it always works this way. A recent disaster makes people take a threat seriously. My in-laws left town last night.

No, they could have gotten flood insurance, that is true. But since the federal government had implied the levees were safe, there was no reason for anyone to think it was needed. The mortgage companies certainly didn't think anyone did.

Yep, it always works this way. A recent disaster makes people take a threat seriously. My in-laws left town last night.

No, they could have gotten flood insurance, that is true. But since the federal government had implied the levees were safe, there was no reason for anyone to think it was needed. The mortgage companies certainly didn't think anyone did.

and you trust the federal government ?

Thanks for letting me know. Hopefully he learned his lesson 3 years ago.
For an inexperienced mayor, he actually did some good. Sure, he could have asked for volunteers to drive those school buses out of town, but for all we know, they could have broken down on the way...and at the time I thought opening up the superdome as a shelter was madness, but it probably saved thousands of lives.

Start walking. Or, get your ass on one of the busses provided. One doesn't need a pocket full of cash to haul ass away from a disaster.

Did you watch any of the news coverage on that? The DID start walking, and busses? What busses? If busses were provided I did not see them, until they started taking people OUT of New Orleans DAYS, AND DAYS after they had been stranded, at the superdome or on the freeway.

I sure am glad that a lot of you are NOT my neighbor. I bet you would not even call the fire department if my home was on fire. You sure sound like you are dripping in compasion ... but no worries .... you are not alone. :doubt:

The Netherlands

MaeslantBarrierNetherlands.gif

flood-barrier.jpg

CLEVEL_P2.jpg

Why can't America do this? Why do the Europeans care more?

Our infrastructure is crumbling and we allow our cities to drown. The American Society of Engineers say we need to spent $1.6 trillion to upgrade our infrastructure. Yet, we've spent half a trillion dollars on a Quixotic war in Iraq.

MoneyNews - U.S. Facing $1.6 Trillion Infrastructure Spending Bill

For an inexperienced mayor, he actually did some good. Sure, he could have asked for volunteers to drive those school buses out of town, but for all we know, they could have broken down on the way...and at the time I thought opening up the superdome as a shelter was madness, but it probably saved thousands of lives.

All true what you have said ... all I know is that I am glad I was not there.

I will stay here in California ... at least when an earthquake hits we are not pre-warned so some of these people (not you) on the board can go about their day not worrying about us in the rubble. Or that their fellow Americans will get little help from their government in a natural disaster or when a bridge in thier city collapses - when they sit day by day watching thier tax money go into a useless war. No bigee. No worries. :doubt:

I just hope that FEMA is fixed, and that Pres. Bush has someone running it that knows something, anything.

BTW .... Allie this is for you .... if what I have said makes me a non-card carrying "Democrat" ... then damn it I guess I am a DEMOCRAT ... so sue me! It is great to live in a country where you are free to change your mind. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back