Remember American Quality?

Tom Sweetnam

Platinum Member
Aug 27, 2014
8000' up in the san juan mountain foothills
I just vacuumed my pigsty. It's all nice and clean now. The vacuum cleaner I used was made in America, in New Orleans, 33 years ago. It's an Oreck, a small 7 amp commercial model that worked nearly every day of its life in a big hotel chain. Then when it turned 30, having never needed repair except for replacement belts, it was auctioned off with dozens of others. The guy who runs our classic vacuum shop in Alamosa bought a bunch of these old work horses. He reconditioned them a bit then sold one to me for $118. He sells nothing but American-made vacuum cleaners, some of them dating back to the 1920’s, that still work like a champ.

Can you imagine in your wildest fantasies, any of the junk vacuum cleaners at Wal-Mart lasting 33 years? Are you laughing like I am right this minute?

Back in the early 70's, when I was in college, I worked part-time at an upscale San Francisco custom picture framing shop. Over the five years I did that, I learned the trade. The mat-cutter we used was called a "Keeton". It was a piece of art all by itself. It was machined and hand-made in a small Biloxi, Mississippi manufacturing facility for about 10 years. It was expensive for its day: $500. It has a solid oak varnished base and hard chromed mechanical components. It's very precise and beautifully made. Nothing made today comes close. It's all Chinese junk. I saw one on eBay last year. The guy wanted $40 for shipping. That's very reasonable since it weighs about 25 lbs. The auction got a lot of hits, but I don't think most people knew what it was. I was the high bidder: $7. It's sitting out in my shop. It was made in 1963, half a century ago. It works just as beautifully I remembered from long ago.

So what do you have sitting around the house that's American-made, from a day when we manufactured everything, and we did it better than anybody?

racquetball rackets...the thing that keeps me alive.

Wrongpublicans practice necromancy and sustain themselves with racist sporting equipment.

Huh. I guess you learn something new every day.

10291235_520888081349631_751018762054171141_n[1].jpg

I bought an iRobot Roomba 770 a year ago. It vacuums great and frees me up to do other things while the vacumming gets done. Don't know if it'll last 33 years but I'm vacumming as I type this and I'm laughing.......

I blame American Idol both philosophically and practically for a lot of it.

There are no blacksmiths anymore: only a bunch of talentless tools with aspirations of fame fed by a consumption-based society.

Yeah, and all the buggy whip makers are gone too.

:cuckoo:
===

As to the OP -

I remember paying $200 for our first VCR. The thing was built like a tank and weighed almost as much. We had it repaired several times during the years we had it until our handy dandy repair guy said he couldn't get parts anymore and that all the new ones were made of plastic.

The last VCR we bought was about $60 and lasted just long enough to play a very few movies. Like the old joke, it was right after the warranty expired that it died.

Don't blame America though. We don't manufacture much anymore and we pay workers crap. We buy our stuff from China and they make some real crap because they know dumb Americans will pay.

Back when I was a kid, I remember people who bought a new car every two years. a full? Buy a new one because they were expected to start costing you big bucks at about two years and we spent a lot of money to buy a new one.

OTOH, people still buy a washer and dryer for way less and expect to use it every day for 20 years.

I bought an iRobot Roomba 770 a year ago. It vacuums great and frees me up to do other things while the vacumming gets done. Don't know if it'll last 33 years but I'm vacumming as I type this and I'm laughing.......

Have you seen what a new battery costs?

Forum List

Back