Remember After The 2008 Election?

All I heard was that the Republicans were dead as a party, and after the 2010 elections they will be just a memory.
yeah, i remember that

but i also remember those on the right proclaiming the same things for the dem after 2002 and 2004

All I heard was that the Republicans were dead as a party, and after the 2010 elections they will be just a memory.

"Do you approve or disapprove of the job the Republican leaders in Congress are doing?" If "depends": "Overall, do you approve or disapprove of the job the Republican leaders in Congress are doing?"

Approve Disapprove Unsure
% % %

9/30 - 10/3/10
24 60 16

That's a tie for their lowest ranking since 1997. Only 1 in 4 Americans can stomach the repubs in Congress.
"Do you approve or disapprove of the job the Democratic leaders in Congress are doing?" If "depends": "Overall do you approve or disapprove of the job the Democratic leaders in Congress are doing?"

Approve Disapprove

Unsure

% % %

9/30 - 10/3/10
30 53 17

The dems aren't doing much better, only 3 in 10 Americans can stomach the dem Congress. Worst showing since 2001.

Conclusion: both parties are dead, as door nails, never to recover. Ever.

Congress

It's a circular process. Just keeps going in circles with each of the two major parties taking control eventually.

exactly.....
the dems took obama as a mandate...wrong, if the reps take this as anything really but a refutation of big gov., including themselves, they are dead as Kesley's nuts too.....I won't have any sympathy for them.

A Vote Against Dems, Not for the GOP
Voters don't want to be governed from the left, right or center. They want Washington to recognize that Americans want to govern themselves.

In the first week of January 2010, Rasmussen Reports showed Republicans with a nine-point lead on the generic congressional ballot. Scott Brown delivered a stunning upset in the Massachusetts special U.S. Senate election a couple of weeks later.

In the last week of October 2010, Rasmussen Reports again showed Republicans with a nine-point lead on the generic ballot. And tomorrow Republicans will send more Republicans to Congress than at any time in the past 80 years.

This isn't a wave, it's a tidal shift—and we've seen it coming for a long time. Remarkably, there have been plenty of warning signs over the past two years, but Democratic leaders ignored them. At least the captain of the Titanic tried to miss the iceberg. Congressional Democrats aimed right for it.

While most voters now believe that cutting government spending is good for the economy, congressional Democrats have convinced them that they want to increase government spending. After the president proposed a $50 billion infrastructure plan in September, for example, Rasmussen Reports polling found that 61% of voters believed cutting spending would create more jobs than the president's plan.

Central to the Democrats' electoral woes was the debate on health-care reform. From the moment in May 2009 when the Congressional Budget Office announced that the president's plan would cost a trillion dollars, most voters opposed it. Today 53% want to repeal it. Opposition was always more intense than support, and opposition was especially high among senior citizens, who vote in high numbers in midterm elections.

Rather than acknowledging the public concern by passing a smaller and more popular plan, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and President Obama insisted on passing the proposed legislation by any means possible.

As a result, Democrats face massive losses in tomorrow's midterm election. Based upon our generic ballot polling and an analysis of individual races, we project that Nancy Pelosi's party will likely lose 55 or more seats in the House, putting the GOP firmly in the majority. Republicans will also win at least 25 of the 37 Senate elections. While the most likely outcome is that Republicans end up with 48 or 49 Senate seats, Democrats will need to win close races in West Virginia, Washington and California to protect their majority.

There will also be a lot more Republican governors in office come January. It looks like six heartland states stretching from Pennsylvania to Iowa will trade a Democratic governor for a Republican one. A common theme in all the races is that white, working-class Democrats who tended to vote for Hillary Clinton over Barack Obama in 2008 are prepared to vote for Republicans.

But none of this means that Republicans are winning. The reality is that voters in 2010 are doing the same thing they did in 2006 and 2008: They are voting against the party in power.

This is the continuation of a trend that began nearly 20 years ago. In 1992, Bill Clinton was elected president and his party had control of Congress. Before he left office, his party lost control. Then, in 2000, George W. Bush came to power, and his party controlled Congress. But like Mr. Clinton before him, Mr. Bush saw his party lose control.

That's never happened before in back-to-back administrations. The Obama administration appears poised to make it three in a row. This reflects a fundamental rejection of both political parties.

rest at-

Scott Rasmussen: A Vote Against Dems, Not for the GOP - WSJ.com

yeah, i remember that

but i also remember those on the right proclaiming the same things for the dem after 2002 and 2004

I don't think this is a party thing, I think it's a human nature thing.

exactly.....
the dems took obama as a mandate...wrong, if the reps take this as anything really but a refutation of big gov., including themselves, they are dead as Kesley's nuts too.....I won't have any sympathy for them.

Agreed. This isn't about Republicans or Democrats. It's about working on what the People want. It's about paying attention to the constituents. It's about respecting the anger of the average American and figuring out a solution.

But I see the Republicans being just as stupid as the Democrats, and until we truly get a third party that isn't a variation of the two major parties, I guess we're gonna be stuck on the merry-go-round for a while.

It's a circular process. Just keeps going in circles with each of the two major parties taking control eventually.

You mean it keeps going in a circle with both parties becoming increasingly unpopular but still managing to wrest control because there are no competitors from outside the two party monopoly?

exactly.....

Agreed. This isn't about Republicans or Democrats. It's about working on what the People want. It's about paying attention to the constituents. It's about respecting the anger of the average American and figuring out a solution.

But I see the Republicans being just as stupid as the Democrats, and until we truly get a third party that isn't a variation of the two major parties, I guess we're gonna be stuck on the merry-go-round for a while.
we are not going to have a viable 3rd party till we have serious election reforms

exactly.....

A Vote Against Dems, Not for the GOP
Voters don't want to be governed from the left, right or center. They want Washington to recognize that Americans want to govern themselves.

In the first week of January 2010, Rasmussen Reports showed Republicans with a nine-point lead on the generic congressional ballot. Scott Brown delivered a stunning upset in the Massachusetts special U.S. Senate election a couple of weeks later.

In the last week of October 2010, Rasmussen Reports again showed Republicans with a nine-point lead on the generic ballot. And tomorrow Republicans will send more Republicans to Congress than at any time in the past 80 years.

This isn't a wave, it's a tidal shift—and we've seen it coming for a long time. Remarkably, there have been plenty of warning signs over the past two years, but Democratic leaders ignored them. At least the captain of the Titanic tried to miss the iceberg. Congressional Democrats aimed right for it.

While most voters now believe that cutting government spending is good for the economy, congressional Democrats have convinced them that they want to increase government spending. After the president proposed a $50 billion infrastructure plan in September, for example, Rasmussen Reports polling found that 61% of voters believed cutting spending would create more jobs than the president's plan.

Central to the Democrats' electoral woes was the debate on health-care reform. From the moment in May 2009 when the Congressional Budget Office announced that the president's plan would cost a trillion dollars, most voters opposed it. Today 53% want to repeal it. Opposition was always more intense than support, and opposition was especially high among senior citizens, who vote in high numbers in midterm elections.

Rather than acknowledging the public concern by passing a smaller and more popular plan, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and President Obama insisted on passing the proposed legislation by any means possible.

As a result, Democrats face massive losses in tomorrow's midterm election. Based upon our generic ballot polling and an analysis of individual races, we project that Nancy Pelosi's party will likely lose 55 or more seats in the House, putting the GOP firmly in the majority. Republicans will also win at least 25 of the 37 Senate elections. While the most likely outcome is that Republicans end up with 48 or 49 Senate seats, Democrats will need to win close races in West Virginia, Washington and California to protect their majority.

There will also be a lot more Republican governors in office come January. It looks like six heartland states stretching from Pennsylvania to Iowa will trade a Democratic governor for a Republican one. A common theme in all the races is that white, working-class Democrats who tended to vote for Hillary Clinton over Barack Obama in 2008 are prepared to vote for Republicans.

But none of this means that Republicans are winning. The reality is that voters in 2010 are doing the same thing they did in 2006 and 2008: They are voting against the party in power.

This is the continuation of a trend that began nearly 20 years ago. In 1992, Bill Clinton was elected president and his party had control of Congress. Before he left office, his party lost control. Then, in 2000, George W. Bush came to power, and his party controlled Congress. But like Mr. Clinton before him, Mr. Bush saw his party lose control.

That's never happened before in back-to-back administrations. The Obama administration appears poised to make it three in a row. This reflects a fundamental rejection of both political parties.

rest at-

Scott Rasmussen: A Vote Against Dems, Not for the GOP - WSJ.com

What he said!

They are. Haven't you noticed crazies have taken over the party?

:eusa_naughty:

Both sides do it. Although I never said the Republican Party was done for. I figured it would take the economy at least until after 2010 to be completely outta the ditch, and that the American public would be disgruntled with the Democrats.. And sure 'nuff 'stuff. It's the way it goes.

Forum List

Back