Remake of the move annie

The Annie musical was a huge success. However, the Annie movie was an unmitigated disaster, which was so bad that it killed the Broadway version, too. I can't see this as being successful. BTW, it also reminds me of the black version of the Wizard of Oz (The Wiz), which was also a disaster. While black exploitation films worked during the 70's, I think that Blacks are more sophisticated today.
The Wiz was awesome. I never saw the Wizard of Oz until I was an adult. My parents only allowed us to see The Wiz. I did pretty much the same thing with my kids. The youngest is 14 and they just saw the white version last year.
Child abuse.

But little orphan Annie's hair is big red, curly hair!

Can they color her hair red? :dunno:

(My bold)

Yah. I always look @ this kind of discussion & wonder if the historical Jesus actually looked anything like the Medieval & Renaissance pictures we have stuck in our heads of Him. You know, blond over blue, kinda woeful expression, nimbus behind Him.

& I think that if He actually looked a lot more Semitic (Jewish or Arab, take your pick) & had been depicted as such - we might have been spared a lot of self-serving hogwash throughout Christianity's history. Possibly not, but we could have hoped.

The difference is, we know exactly what Annie looked like. She was created by a cartoonist fully formed as Little Orphan Annie as a little redheaded white child. There is nothing open to interpretation. There is nothing ambiguous about Annie's race. These moviemakers are taking artistic license in changing Annie into a black child with a black Daddy Warbucks. It will either be successful or it won't. It's doubtful that it will be successful, not because Annie is now black instead of a redheaded white child, but because so few people today have a connection to Annie, as they once did. The Sunday Funnies version of Annie no longer exists.

Remakes of nostalgia that force feed blacks into roles never intended for them are just not successful.

(My bold)

Yah, we know how the comic strip envisioned her. But the demographics of the World have changed - if it's not a success in the US, it may be in Africa & other venues - & profit is profit. We're talking popular culture here, & money is king.

I can tell you - if it's the same actress from Beast of Southern Wild - I believe it is - she's a terrific actress. If she can sing & dance, she'll be a shoo-in, & the movie will likely make scads of money. I don't see the problem - Jewish people acted & were all over radio, Hollywood, TV, theater. The same for Black people, & now Hispanics, Asians, & on & on. We're actually a multicultural nation - it's one of our strengths.

In any event, I'm perfectly willing to wait on the box office, & vox populi to render a decision. (& I still think it's funny we're perfectly willing to pray to/with Jesus, part of the triune God, Jewish, who worked with His hands. The equivalent now would, I suppose, be a Bangladeshi boy melting circuits for their copper & precious metals content ...

The Annie musical was a huge success. However, the Annie movie was an unmitigated disaster, which was so bad that it killed the Broadway version, too. I can't see this as being successful. BTW, it also reminds me of the black version of the Wizard of Oz (The Wiz), which was also a disaster. While black exploitation films worked during the 70's, I think that Blacks are more sophisticated today.
The Wiz was awesome. I never saw the Wizard of Oz until I was an adult. My parents only allowed us to see The Wiz. I did pretty much the same thing with my kids. The youngest is 14 and they just saw the white version last year.
Child abuse.
Thats what they said too. I apologized to them for showing them the white version.

Seems to be catching. The movie Exodus has a whole bunch of white people playing Egyptians.

The Egyptians were not Nubians. Ramesses II's mummy had genetic tests on it and showed he had red hair. Not many Africans or even Arabs have red hair.

Seems to be catching. The movie Exodus has a whole bunch of white people playing Egyptians.

The Egyptians were not Nubians. Ramesses II's mummy had genetic tests on it and showed he had red hair. Not many Africans or even Arabs have red hair.
I know the Egyptians were not always Nubians. They were a different group of Black people that also ruled Egypt for several dynasties. Black people have red hair too. Doesnt have to be many. All you need is one. Ask Malcolm X. He could probably shed some light on what the embalming process can do to your hair as well.

article-0-1B919757000005DC-725_634x423.jpg

article-2139462-12EBB6A5000005DC-190_634x650.jpg

ac6a2d278f8dbf28f9423350afa27e2f.jpg

e37f8580b2fcbb771d1c28ce6b39a93d.jpg

Last edited:
The remake Annie is one of the best movies I have seen in a while. I liked the original but this one actually caused the air to get dusty for me. This was a great movie.

Forum List

Back