Religious thing~~Why are you here-?

watchingfromafar

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2017
As I see it, Jesus was not only preaching the bad things of old, he was also preaching redemption. One can be saved; just abide by His instructions, follow His commandments and peace will be your reward.

God’s Chosen People
I have a personal attachment to the Old Testament and the verses contained therein. This includes the verses where the Lord talked directly to the Israelite people. In this one-way discussion the Lord laid out directives (commandments) for them to follow and the blessing they would get if they followed His suggestions. I took these directives and compared them to historical events. Personally, I would like to see the Israeli people change their ways by embracing the stranger (Palestinian) and treat them as one of their own, just as the Lord instructed them to do. I truly believe this “example” would create a wave of peace across the middle east.

In closing I want the Israeli’s to embrace the Palestinians as one of their own, dismantle the illegal settlements and change the name of their country from “Israel” to “Palestine”.

I believe God is now judging them for the last time. If they do not ask God for forgiveness and repent for their past deeds; then all will be lost.

I need your help either by helping me or by correction my misguided view of them.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome whether pro or con.

You would be well advised to put on your figurative kevlar underwear.

As I see it, Jesus was not only preaching the bad things of old, he was also preaching redemption. One can be saved; just abide by His instructions, follow His commandments and peace will be your reward.

God’s Chosen People
I have a personal attachment to the Old Testament and the verses contained therein. This includes the verses where the Lord talked directly to the Israelite people. In this one-way discussion the Lord laid out directives (commandments) for them to follow and the blessing they would get if they followed His suggestions. I took these directives and compared them to historical events. Personally, I would like to see the Israeli people change their ways by embracing the stranger (Palestinian) and treat them as one of their own, just as the Lord instructed them to do. I truly believe this “example” would create a wave of peace across the middle east.

In closing I want the Israeli’s to embrace the Palestinians as one of their own, dismantle the illegal settlements and change the name of their country from “Israel” to “Palestine”.

I believe God is now judging them for the last time. If they do not ask God for forgiveness and repent for their past deeds; then all will be lost.

I need your help either by helping me or by correction my misguided view of them.

you are TOO FAR GONE. If the writings of the "old testament" attract you-----try reading the book

God’s Chosen People

Let's just start here:

What do you mean, Jesus was preaching the "bad things of old"?

Remember, to be 'God' would mean being beyond all human comprehension and definition, author of all this already incomprehensibly gigantic universe and all its laws.
Now, remember that while reading religious texts that define 'God', in no matter what terms.
It can only be metaphor, and that at best.

God’s Chosen People

Matthew 10:34 - 39

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

God’s Chosen People

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.
Voila! Metaphor.

God’s Chosen People

Some of the most difficult words in the entire Bible.

But True words, indeed--and words of Life.

God’s Chosen People

Let's just start here:

He has no idea-----he never read the books

God’s Chosen People

It seems that for now, you're not addressing my question about the "bad things of old".

Try this one then: how can it be that you are saying if we want to be saved by Jesus we have to abide by His commandments and follow His commandments and "peace will be your reward". What are you talking about? Why then did he say, when the disciples asked Him, "Who then can be saved": "With man it is impossible, but with God all things are possible"? (Matthew 19:26)

If you are so badly handling the New Testament, how can we trust you to handle what God apparently wants in the OT?

God’s Chosen People

Let's just start here:

He has no idea-----he never read the books

Oh I agree--I think he thinks he has a "gotcha" argument based on Scripture. Anyone who knows Scripture knows it's ridiculous.

God’s Chosen People

Let me help you out. The white people in Israel are not the true Hebrews. They are called the Ashkenazi jews from europe.

God’s Chosen People

As an Athiest/Agnostic; these are the most poignant verses of the Bible that have positively effected my life. Philosophically speaking...

God’s Chosen People

Last question for your OT scholarship.

Do you realize what a LOT, and I mean a LOT, of the OT was God directing the Nation of Israel to do? I'm specifically thinking about their journey from Egypt to the Land of Canaan. And in other times too. Do you think God said, "These people are all strangers; therefore, that manna I left for you? Give it to them and wait here while they vanquish you entirely."

What Scriptures are you reading?

God’s Chosen People

As an Athiest/Agnostic; these are the most poignant verses of the Bible that have positively effected my life. Philosophically speaking...

Really. That's interesting. Would you be willing to elaborate?

God’s Chosen People

So god judges people and if he doesn't like what he sees he burns them in hell for all eternity? Does that mean that we're NOT made in god's image?

God’s Chosen People

Fire and brimstone on the near horizon? That it? Let the good times roll? One Horseman for each cardinal direction. I'd say them horse ridin' boys of that there apocalypse got it covered. The Good, the Bad, the Ugly, and the even Uglier. Yep.

God’s Chosen People

I get the feeling that you’re completely misunderstanding what he’s saying. The reality is, this is a fallen world, filled with people in rebellion to God. When someone chooses to follow Jesus and becomes a true Christian, they are inevitably going to face some contempt, division, and conflict with people around them. Sometimes even with their own family members. I can attest that that’s true, because when I became a Christian, it changed my relationships with several of my family members. It put me in conflict with my dad, who was an atheist, and my mom who is Catholic.

It’s not that Jesus wants us to be at war with our friends and family… In fact the Bible says just the opposite in numerous places. But he’s talking about the reality that will inevitably happen, because when a person chooses to follow God, it puts them “in a battle” so to speak, with the people around them who either think they’ve gone off the deep end, or now feel like they are not on the same team.

Jesus, because of who he is, is divisive. He said “I am the Way, the truth, and the life… No one comes to the father except through me.” That is a very controversial and divisive statement. So those things I mentioned, and more, are why he said that he didn’t come to bring peace. He DID come to bring peace between people and God. But peace between people and other people is a different matter, even though God does want us to try to be at peace with everyone, as much as possible.

“If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.”
Romans 12:18

Last edited:

God’s Chosen People

I get the feeling that you’re completely misunderstanding what he’s saying. The reality is, this is a fallen world, filled with people in rebellion to God. When someone chooses to follow Jesus and becomes a true Christian, they are inevitably going to face some contempt, division, and conflict with people around them. Sometimes even with their own family members. I can attest that that’s true, because when I became a Christian, it changed my relationships with several of my family members. It put me in conflict with my dad, who was an atheist, and my mom who is Catholic.

It’s not that Jesus wants us to be at war with our friends and family… In fact the Bible says just the opposite in numerous places. But he’s talking about the reality that will inevitably happen, because when a person chooses to follow God, it puts them “in a battle” so to speak, with the people around them who either think they’ve gone off the deep end, or now feel like they are not on the same team.

Jesus, because of who he is, is divisive. He said “I am the Way, the truth, and the life… No one comes to the father except through me.” That is a very controversial and divisive statement. So those things I mentioned, and more, are why he said that he didn’t come to bring peace. He DID come to bring peace between people and God. But peace between people and other people is a different matter, even though God does want us to try to be at peace with everyone, as much as possible.

“If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.”
Romans 12:18
So why did god let this be a fallen world if that's now how he wants it?

God’s Chosen People

Really. That's interesting. Would you be willing to elaborate?
The Truth is divisive. But I was devoted into/ created a Man. As such... I embrace my humanity...

New Topics

Forum List

Back