religious study

I've read the bible, because it was the religious text I was raised on. Most of the other religious texts and material I've studied seriously were in Eastern philosophy and Buddhism. I think they all have merit when used as an instructive manual for a decent way to live your life. They also have (imo) historical merit, although I feel pretty certain that most of them have been edited and manipulated down through the ages, by men and religious institutions who had their own ideas about how things should be.

Martin, the Torah is more or less the same thing as the Old Testament.

I have a biblical question, if anyone would care to field it:

What is the message of all those boring "so-and-so begat so-and-so" passages?

It's to show how inbred christians are.

Each of those in their entirety along with significant portions of Buddhist, Taoist, and Confucianist texts. Why?

Well then you are just the person to ask questions of, Kalam.

Approximately when was each written? Does the Bible (Old and New Testaments) pre-date the Koran?

Is Jesus mentioned in the Koran? If so, in what way? Mohammed is not mentioned in the Bible, is he?

Thankies,

A Nosey Person

Last edited:

I don't understand the question

Approximately when was each written? Does the Bible (Old and new Testaments) pre-date the Koran?
Yes. I think that most scholars attribute the Tanakh, which corresponds more or less to the OT, to the 6th century BC. I can't remember exactly, though. Most of the NT is supposed to have originated in the first few centuries AD. The Qur'an was revealed from 610-632 AD and the order of chapters was standardized in the 650's. It's important to point out that most Christian churches have their own respective versions of Biblical canon and many of these weren't finalized until the 16th and 17th centuries. There is only one Qur'an.

Is Jesus mentioned in the Koran? If so, in what way?
Yes, many times. Here are a few examples:

When the angels said: O Mary, surely Allah gives thee good news with a word from him whose name is the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, worthy of regard in this world and the Hereafter, and of those who are drawn nigh. - 3:45

And We sent after them in their footsteps Jesus, son of Mary, verifying that which was before him of the Torah; and We gave him the Gospel containing guidance and light, and verifying that which was before it of the Torah, and a guidance and an admonition for the dutiful. - 5:46

And when Allah will say: O Jesus, son of Mary, didst thou say to men, "Take me and my mother for two gods besides Allah"? He will say: Glory be to Thee! it was not for me to say what I had no right to (say). If I had said it, Thou wouldst indeed have known it. Thou knowest what is in my mind, and I know not what is in Thy mind. Surely, Thou art the great Knower of the unseen. - 5:116​

Mohammed is not mentioned in the Bible, is he?
Not by name, no. Some Muslim scholars have speculated that the Bible refers to events in his life and that he fulfills certain Biblical prophesies.

Thankies,

A Nosey Person[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

No problem. :)

I don't understand the question

Why does the Torah occasionally go into detail about lineages, like in Genesis 5? I'd also be interested in hearing a Jew's perspective on this.

Approximately when was each written? Does the Bible (Old and new Testaments) pre-date the Koran?
Yes. I think that most scholars attribute the Tanakh, which corresponds more or less to the OT, to the 6th century BC. I can't remember exactly, though. Most of the NT is supposed to have originated in the first few centuries AD. The Qur'an was revealed from 610-632 AD and the order of chapters was standardized in the 650's. It's important to point out that most Christian churches have their own respective versions of Biblical canon and many of these weren't finalized until the 16th and 17th centuries. There is only one Qur'an.

Is Jesus mentioned in the Koran? If so, in what way?
Yes, many times. Here are a few examples:

When the angels said: O Mary, surely Allah gives thee good news with a word from him whose name is the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, worthy of regard in this world and the Hereafter, and of those who are drawn nigh. - 3:45

And We sent after them in their footsteps Jesus, son of Mary, verifying that which was before him of the Torah; and We gave him the Gospel containing guidance and light, and verifying that which was before it of the Torah, and a guidance and an admonition for the dutiful. - 5:46

And when Allah will say: O Jesus, son of Mary, didst thou say to men, "Take me and my mother for two gods besides Allah"? He will say: Glory be to Thee! it was not for me to say what I had no right to (say). If I had said it, Thou wouldst indeed have known it. Thou knowest what is in my mind, and I know not what is in Thy mind. Surely, Thou art the great Knower of the unseen. - 5:116​

Mohammed is not mentioned in the Bible, is he?
Not by name, no. Some Muslim scholars have speculated that the Bible refers to events in his life and that he fulfills certain Biblical prophesies.

Thankies,

A Nosey Person[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

No problem. :)

So how could mohammed know what allah said about jesus? He just make that stuff up? Or is it more like he's hearing voices?

Mohammed is the name of the donkey that jesus rode into jerusalem. Kalam, is that YOUR mohammed?

has anyone here read the torah, koran or bible or other?

any thoughts?

I went to Catholic School. We had to read the Bible all the time.

I had a friend who brought over a Quran and we sat around the dinner table and read it.
It's as bad or worse than the Bible.
72 virgins.
Killing.
Torture.

Religion IS insanity.

Forum List

Back