Religious Pet Peves....

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
i'm picky sometimes...but...it's distracting to me when I pray with people sometimes. I know their hearts mean well...but there are things people do for no real reason, imo. It's likely the problem is 'mine' for getting caught up in what they are saying - but honestly? sometimes I COUNT the times they repeat a word or phrase, etc.

I post this to maybe help those of us who pray to God/Christ with others. Perhaps we can re-evaluate ourselves, making sure we are praying because we 'mean it' and as such, don't need 'fillers' simply to add words.

• Use prayer as a pulpit
    When people have a lot to say to someone, yet do it by praying, such as (while sitting right with Jeff):

Dear God, please bless Jeff...help him to understand that You LOVE him, and as such he shouldn't worry about his life, because God, he needs to know that any needs he may have you have already met, should Jeff just accept them. And God, Teach Jeff that he should trust you and know that I think he's a great friend and would gladly offer to split the cost of rogane with him if he so desires, all he has to do is ask. And further, God, show Jeff that my new website is open for business, and a subscription only costs $4.95 a month, and offeres unlimited access to the private forums...in your name, Amen"

• Dear Lord, Dear Lord, Dear Lord, Dear Lord, Dear Lord, (variant, Dear Lord Just...)
    just say 'um'. When people aren't sure what to say next, they offer 'Dear Lord:

Dear Lord just be with Jeff and Angela Dear Lord, and right now Dear Lord I ask that you just help them Dear Lord, and right now God be their strength Dear Lord, because we often know Dear Lord, that there are times when we don't 'feel' your presence Dear Lord....

Lets look at prayer for what it is...the chief means of communication to someone who knows you more intimately than yourself. Prayer is done to 'talk' to God. That's it. No special words needed. No 'catch phrases'. I used to believe if I didn't follow a percribed format of prayer, God wouldn't hear me. What kinda bullshit is THAT? Yup. Each prayer was supposed to be like this:

"Thankful" - Offer a thanks.
"Concern" - Tell God what the problem is
"Solution" - Ask God to fix said problem
"Thankful" - Thank him in advance for helping.

I can't see a fault to that format - however when I was told my prayers MUST match that outline to be 'honoured'...

blah...

Look...here's the deal. Talk with God. Listen to Him. That's about it.

:)

My biggest pet peeve is when people use the word "just." In prayers, but also in sermons, in Bible studies, etc. It's like the Christian 'um.' If we banned the word 'just' in my church, services would end 10 minutes quicker! :D

-=d=- said:
[*]Use prayer as a pulpit

[*]Dear Lord, Dear Lord, Dear Lord, Dear Lord, Dear Lord, (variant, Dear Lord Just...)[/b]

Look...here's the deal. Talk with God. Listen to Him. That's about it.

:)

Public prayer should be short, sweet, & to the point. Save all the other stuff for your private prayer. And too, I don't appreciate you preaching a mini-sermon during your prayer, either before or after the minister has delivered his. I realize I'm sinful, that's why I'm there. I don't need you to tell me that. My knees begin to hurt after 13 minutes & my small children begin to get restless.

And, I've heard the repeating of God's name referred to as ,"Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain". We know who he is, HE knows who He is. 'nuff said.

Joz said:
And, I've heard the repeating of God's name referred to as ,"Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain". We know who he is, HE knows who He is. 'nuff said.

I'd doubt that qualifies as taking God's name in vain; it's more just people who aren't sure what they want to pray FOR, so they use it as filler - conversation.

God knows our hearts - if the person means well, God doesn't hold that against them; we sin not by our 'actions' but by our (Heart) condition. :)

-=d=- said:
I'd doubt that qualifies as taking God's name in vain;.....

.... we sin not by our 'actions' but by our (Heart) condition. :)

Maybe not.

Agreed. But our actions reveal our heart.

Forum List

Back