Religious people less intelligent than atheists?

In case you haven't noticed it it's a public board and I'm taking part in the thread. The title of the thread dictates the subject matter. sorry you never learned about reading. that's the way it works. that's what titles are for.:eusa_shifty::eek:
So, I see you've escalated from pouting to stamping your feet. Let me know how that works out for you.

sorry little man, using cleche's does not make you cleaver. you have to actualy make it fit the situation. when you learn to read and read some books give me a call. I can't give you the education you've missed just to hold a conversation.:eek:

Sorry, little man; using cliches does not make you clever. You have to actually make it fit the situation.

There, I corrected the allegedly intelligent person's atrocious spelling and grammar.

Now you can escalate from stamping your feet to holding your breath until you turn blue, boy.

And learn how to write, for Gaea's sake. Lecturing others about their education while making stupid mistakes like you did makes you look like a moron.

I think that's very rude to infer that Obama is not intelligent just because he's a Christian.

You're lying. You don't think its rude at all. But, ignoring your lame ass attempt at sarcasm ...

I have often written that, IMO, its horrifying that any, some, many, most world leaders are getting advice from an imaginary creature.
Yeah we know why you don't want there to be a God... HOMO... because when you die and find out there is, you're ass is going to get worse than rammed by your butt buddy, it's going to burn in HELL.

How can you be 100% sure that you're right?

You're lying. You don't think its rude at all. But, ignoring your lame ass attempt at sarcasm ...

I have often written that, IMO, its horrifying that any, some, many, most world leaders are getting advice from an imaginary creature.
Yeah we know why you don't want there to be a God... HOMO... because when you die and find out there is, you're ass is going to get worse than rammed by your butt buddy, it's going to burn in HELL.

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God who gives to all men liberally and upbraideth not and it shall be given unto him.

Religious People Are Less Intelligent Than Atheists, Concludes New Study

A review of 63 scientific studies dating back to 1928 has concluded that religious people are less intelligent than non-believers.

Only 10 of the 63 studies showed a positive correlation between intelligence and religiosity.

The paper, entitled The Relation Between Intelligence and Religiosity: A Meta-Analysis and Some Proposed Explanations, was led by Professor Miron Zuckerman of the University of Rochester, and was published in the academic journal Personality and Social Psychology Review on 6 August. ...

... Zuckerman’s team studied decades worth of analysis, noting many atheism and intellect studies “share one central theme – the premise that religious beliefs are irrational, not anchored in science, not testable, and therefore unappealing to intelligent people who ‘know better’.”

...Religiosity is defined as involvement in some (or all) facets of religion, which includes belief in the supernatural, offering gifts to this supernatural, and performing rituals affirming their beliefs.

Before you use the lame excuse that it was published in HuffPo (as opposed to dredge, blaze, etc), note that it was first published in Sage:

Sign In

“Intelligent people typically spend more time in school—a form of self-regulation that may yield long-term benefits… More intelligent people get higher level jobs [which] may lead to higher self-esteem, and encourage personal control beliefs… more intelligent people are more likely to get and stay married… though for intelligent people, that too comes later in life. We therefore suggest that as intelligent people move from young adulthood to adulthood and then to middle age, the benefits of intelligence may continue to accrue.”

Whatever, it still seems a little too pat, too easy.

But, well worth reading the entire article.

Yes Comrade, we've seen it all and heard it all. We religious people are stupid. Less intelligent than the godless. Have smaller brains. We're knuckle dragging, mouth breathing Neanderthals. Yada, yada, yada. We'll see who's more intelligent on judgment day. You don't believe in judgment day? That's just your opinion. Opinions are like assholes...everybody's got one.

Religious People Are Less Intelligent Than Atheists, Concludes New Study

A review of 63 scientific studies dating back to 1928 has concluded that religious people are less intelligent than non-believers.

Only 10 of the 63 studies showed a positive correlation between intelligence and religiosity.

The paper, entitled The Relation Between Intelligence and Religiosity: A Meta-Analysis and Some Proposed Explanations, was led by Professor Miron Zuckerman of the University of Rochester, and was published in the academic journal Personality and Social Psychology Review on 6 August. ...

... Zuckerman’s team studied decades worth of analysis, noting many atheism and intellect studies “share one central theme – the premise that religious beliefs are irrational, not anchored in science, not testable, and therefore unappealing to intelligent people who ‘know better’.”

...Religiosity is defined as involvement in some (or all) facets of religion, which includes belief in the supernatural, offering gifts to this supernatural, and performing rituals affirming their beliefs.
Before you use the lame excuse that it was published in HuffPo (as opposed to dredge, blaze, etc), note that it was first published in Sage:

Sign In

“Intelligent people typically spend more time in school—a form of self-regulation that may yield long-term benefits… More intelligent people get higher level jobs [which] may lead to higher self-esteem, and encourage personal control beliefs… more intelligent people are more likely to get and stay married… though for intelligent people, that too comes later in life. We therefore suggest that as intelligent people move from young adulthood to adulthood and then to middle age, the benefits of intelligence may continue to accrue.”
Whatever, it still seems a little too pat, too easy.

But, well worth reading the entire article.

Another study that reinforces the insecurities of idiots, what a surprise that Luddite is the one that thought it was worth posting.

An interesting study. We'll probably have to wait for n in both sets to get closer to even - or @ least the same order of magnitude - before we can sample the populations & hope to get representative sample data sets.

If I understand the sampling correctly, on the atheist side they're oversampling people with university degrees, graduate degrees & so on, while the religious side probably over-presents people with less formal education than the first set. It's a sampling quibble, but it's important to anticipate & correct any sampling bias so that the results aren't false artifacts of the methodology. & so that we can have more confidence in the results of the studies.

It is not a quibble when you deliberately select people with educations on one side and people without them on the other. By the way, since you claim to have read the actual study, can you post the raw data for everyone else? Or should I just assume you are trying to look intelligent by claiming you have access?

... Zuckerman’s team [noted that] many atheism and intellect studies “share ... the premise that religious beliefs are irrational ... and ... intelligent people know better.”

prem·ise
a basis, stated or assumed, on which reasoning proceeds.

I was going to suggest that many of the studies were biased in the first place, but your quote already admits it. So thanks for pointing it out and saving me the trouble of suggesting it and then having to "prove it."

Not to mention that the actual "study" is behind a $25 pay wall, which inclines me to believe that Sage is all about money, not open discussion of academic ideas. Academics really need to move past the pay to publish model, especially in the 21st century.

... Zuckerman’s team [noted that] many atheism and intellect studies “share ... the premise that religious beliefs are irrational ... and ... intelligent people know better.”

prem·ise

I was going to suggest that many of the studies were biased in the first place, but your quote already admits it. So thanks for pointing it out and saving me the trouble of suggesting it and then having to "prove it."

But, of course this started with a bias.

If it had been conducted among, say, fundies like Westboro, the end result would reflect their lack of education and intelligence. This was conducted by an intellectual entity ...

It wasn't conducted by anyone, it was done by a two people who publish trivial studies.

"author:Hall author:J.A." - Google Scholar

"author:Zuckerman author:M." - Google Scholar

Thoughtful and intelligent aren't the same thing. Thoughtful people look at those who say the world is only thousands of years old and say, "Really"???? Even intelligent people can be indoctrinated into believing such nonsense.

Thoughtful people don't say things like this.

Educated people know that intelligent people used to be just as sure that the Earth was only a few thousand years old as the current crowd of intelligent people know that it is a few billion years old.

Intelligent people know that everything they know could be wrong.

'
This study is superfluous; it is manifestly clear from oceans of evidence that religious people have lower IQ's than atheists.

Religious people have problems thinking, and their emotions are stupid and ignoble.

Can you explain why, since you are smarter than I am, you always post things that I can prove are wrong?

prem·ise

But, of course this started with a bias.

If it had been conducted among, say, fundies like Westboro, the end result would reflect their lack of education and intelligence. This was conducted by an intellectual entity ...

It wasn't conducted by anyone, it was done by a two people who publish trivial studies.

"author:Hall author:J.A." - Google Scholar

"author:Zuckerman author:M." - Google Scholar

there's no need to be unfair about it. actually there are three researchers. Zuckerman, somebody and Hall. they are all three good well qualified scholars. they didn't collect the data themselves, however, that's why ti's a meta analysis. They took what they thought were the best studies and analyzed them and put the findings together to come up with a major finding.

Of course nothing is prefect so even if they are fine schoalrs that doesn't guarantee that they are right.

So, I see you've escalated from pouting to stamping your feet. Let me know how that works out for you.

sorry little man, using cleche's does not make you cleaver. you have to actualy make it fit the situation. when you learn to read and read some books give me a call. I can't give you the education you've missed just to hold a conversation.:eek:

Sorry, little man; using cliches does not make you clever. You have to actually make it fit the situation.

There, I corrected the allegedly intelligent person's atrocious spelling and grammar.

Now you can escalate from stamping your feet to holding your breath until you turn blue, boy.

And learn how to write, for Gaea's sake. Lecturing others about their education while making stupid mistakes like you did makes you look like a moron.

O yea imitating what I said, that's especially cleaver. Not being able to think of original insults, that's a special sign of being intelligent.:lol:

prem·ise

Not to mention that the actual "study" is behind a $25 pay wall, which inclines me to believe that Sage is all about money, not open discussion of academic ideas. Academics really need to move past the pay to publish model, especially in the 21st century.
But allegedly intelligent atheists will fall all over themselves shelling out the cash to get validation of their bigotry.

How many here have paid for it? :lol:

O yea imitating what I said, that's especially cleaver. Not being able to think of original insults, that's a special sign of being intelligent.:lol:
I didn't imitate what you said, genius. I corrected your mistakes. :lmao:

Shall I correct the mistakes in this quoted post, too? Funnily enough, even though I showed you the correct spelling of "clever", you misspelled it. Again.

Y'know, when you look in the mirror and tell yourself you're an intelligent person -- you're lying. :lol:

So what are all these dumb people doing in Mensa?

Mensa Survey

Christian

Catholic: 21.4%
Protestant: 17%
Anglican: 9.6%
Unspecified Christian: 5.9%
TOTAL: 53.9%

Religious - Non-Christian

Jewish: 2.3%
Islamic, Buddhist, Hindu: .6%
Unconventional: 6.1%
TOTAL: 9.0%

Other

Agnostic: 6.2%
Atheist: 5.5%
Skeptic, misc. against: 5.7%
None, unaffiliated, lapsed: 5.1%
Undecided, searching, sometimes: 4.7%
Humanist, individualist, life, nature, hedonist, eclectic, etc: 5.4%
Ambiguous, unclassifiable: 4.5%
TOTAL: 37.1%

source

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God who gives to all men liberally and upbraideth not and it shall be given unto him.

That didn't answer the question.

I didn't imitate what you said, genius. I corrected your mistakes. :lmao:

Shall I correct the mistakes in this quoted post, too? Funnily enough, even though I showed you the correct spelling of "clever", you misspelled it. Again.

Y'know, when you look in the mirror and tell yourself you're an intelligent person -- you're lying. :lol:

your basic reason for acting so childish in bickering with me is merely becuase I didn't want to make a fool of yourself saying ridiculous things. So intsead of taking your que and trying to figure out how to fake being intelligent you remove all doubt doing some more childish bickering. sorry I've enough of that crap on carm.

people keep saying talking about "religious people are stupid." there's nothing in that study that says that. why can't people just learn to speak in a way that accurately reflects the issues? Nothing in the study says religious people are stupid.

people keep saying talking about "religious people are stupid." there's nothing in that study that says that. why can't people just learn to speak in a way that accurately reflects the issues? Nothing in the study says religious people are stupid.

Religious peeps believe in invisible superbeings. With no proof whatsoever. And spend their whole life worshipping their invisible friend. I'd say that that's "stupid", wouldn't you?

Forum List

Back