Religious marker may be erected at old Capitol

It's amazing how many seemingly intelligent people there are who don't understand the separation of church and state clause. So let me enlighten you people. The phrase originally coined by Thomas Jefferson in a letter to the Danbury Baptists on January 1, 1802, was used exclusively to keep the state out of the church's business, not to keep the church out of the state's business.

The constitution states, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." Both the free exercise clause and the establishment clause place restrictions on the government concerning laws they pass or interfering with religion. No restrictions are placed on religions except perhaps that a religious denomination cannot become the state religion.

So we should allow the church in the state's business?
What church? A Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Christian, Jewish or any other church? All churches?
Have you lost your mind?

Yes, any and all churches have a voice in this country per the 1st amendment. A church is nothing more than a building in which people go to worship, so when you say church, you're actually referring to those people within the church. And per the first amendment these people have the right to peaceably assemble, petition the Government, to freely exercise their religion, freedom to speak etc...

You asked if I've lost my mind, and I would ask you the same question but apparently you've never had one to begin with.

How sad. You're playing semantics, now? If you don't understand how 'church' is being used in this thread, then you're too stupid to take part in this discussion.

Forum List

Back