CDZ Religious Indifference

Darlene

Silver Member
Jul 26, 2014
Missouri, United States
Many of Americans claim to be Christians or involved in some other religious group. There are some of us who are just indifferent to any religion.
For me, it allows me to accept people more openly without judgment or bigoted views.
It also makes me more intolerant to those who claim to be Christian but are bigoted.

What are your religious views?

Pretty much the same. I have my own beliefs which I fully acknowledge have no factual support. However, since no one else's beliefs have any factual support either, I am content to go with what feels right to me. That does not necessarily make me right, so I have no objection to your believing what feels right to you. Further, in a free society everyone should have the right to express those beliefs as they see fit, so long as that does not involve the authority of the government to impose those beliefs.

I'm not sure 'indifferent' is the right word - I have my own ethics, beliefs and very firmly held convictions. I have experienced moments of awe and horror that I would call spiritual, if not actually religious.

I just don't believe in a 'higher power' or God. I respect those who do, but I don't see it. To me it's for everyone to choose their path without anyone else's say so.

Why people fight about these topics, I have no idea!

Many of Americans claim to be Christians or involved in some other religious group. There are some of us who are just indifferent to any religion.
For me, it allows me to accept people more openly without judgment or bigoted views.
It also makes me more intolerant to those who claim to be Christian but are bigoted.

Religion is not the only thing that can make people less receptive of other ideas. Look at modern progressives for this as a shining example.

From Catholic guidelines:

The guidelines for receiving Communion, which are issued by the U.S. bishops and published in many missalettes, explain, "We welcome our fellow Christians to this celebration of the Eucharist as our brothers and sisters. We pray that our common baptism and the action of the Holy Spirit in this Eucharist will draw us closer to one another and begin to dispel the sad divisions which separate us. We pray that these will lessen and finally disappear, in keeping with Christ’s prayer for us ‘that they may all be one’ (John 17:21).

"Because Catholics believe that the celebration of the Eucharist is a sign of the reality of the oneness of faith, life, and worship, members of those churches with whom we are not yet fully united are ordinarily not admitted to Communion. Eucharistic sharing in exceptional circumstances by other Christians requires permission according to the directives of the diocesan bishop and the provisions of canon law. .

The U.S. bishops’ guidelines for receiving Communion state, "We also welcome to this celebration those who do not share our faith in Jesus Christ. While we cannot admit them to Communion, we ask them to offer their prayers for the peace and the unity of the human family."

Because they have not received baptism, the gateway to the other sacraments, non-Christians cannot receive Communion. However, in emergency situations, they can be received into the Church via
baptism, even if no priest is present, and an extraordinary minister of Holy Communion may bring them Communion as Viaticum.

Religion is not the only thing that can make people less receptive of other ideas. Look at modern progressives for this as a shining example.

The guidelines for receiving Communion, which are issued by the U.S. bishops and published in many missalettes, explain, "We welcome our fellow Christians to this celebration of the Eucharist as our brothers and sisters. We pray that our common baptism and the action of the Holy Spirit in this Eucharist will draw us closer to one another and begin to dispel the sad divisions which separate us. We pray that these will lessen and finally disappear, in keeping with Christ’s prayer for us ‘that they may all be one’ (John 17:21).

"Because Catholics believe that the celebration of the Eucharist is a sign of the reality of the oneness of faith, life, and worship, members of those churches with whom we are not yet fully united are ordinarily not admitted to Communion. Eucharistic sharing in exceptional circumstances by other Christians requires permission according to the directives of the diocesan bishop and the provisions of canon law. .

The U.S. bishops’ guidelines for receiving Communion state, "We also welcome to this celebration those who do not share our faith in Jesus Christ. While we cannot admit them to Communion, we ask them to offer their prayers for the peace and the unity of the human family."

Because they have not received baptism, the gateway to the other sacraments, non-Christians cannot receive Communion. However, in emergency situations, they can be received into the Church via
baptism, even if no priest is present, and an extraordinary minister of Holy Communion may bring them Communion as Viaticum.
I'm sorry but Catholic views don't influence me.
Saigon , no one is fighting. Indifferent is the perfect term for me. It's part of the definition for irreligion. Spirituality and religion are different.

Religion vs. Spirituality - What s The Difference
Spiritual but not religious - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
Irreligion - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Religion vs. Spirituality - Compare Side by Side reComparison

Saigon , no one is fighting. Indifferent is the perfect term for me. It's part of the definition for irreligion. Spirituality and religion are different.

Who said anything about influence, what I posts shows Catholic doctrine preaching tolerance of other religions, both other Christians and non Christians.

I'm an atheist, but don't tell anyone. I have yet to come out of the closet. :biggrin:

Hey, that's pretty good. (from your link)

Consider the following in favor of the spiritual path:

• There is not one religion, but hundreds

• There is only one type of spirituality

• Religion is for those who want to continue rituals and the formality

• Spirituality is for those who want to reach the Spiritual Ascent without dogmas

• Religion is for those who are asleep

• Spirituality is for those who are awake

• Religion is for those that require guidance from others

• Spirituality is for those that lend ears to their inner voice

• Religion has a dogmatic and unquestionable assembly of rules that need to be followed without question

• Spirituality invites you to reason it all, to question it all and to decide your actions and assume the consequences

• Religion threatens and terrifies

• Spirituality gives you inner peace

• Religion speaks of sin and of fault

• Spirituality encourages "living in the present" and not to feel remorse for which has already passed - Lift your spirit and learn from errors

• Religion represses humanity, and returns us to a false paradigm

• Spirituality transcends it all and makes you true to yourself

• Religion is instilled from childhood, like the soup you do not you want to take

• Spirituality is the food that you you seek, that satisfies you and is pleasant to the senses

• Religion is not God

• Spirituality is infinite consciousness and all that is - It is God

• Religion invents

• Spirituality discovers

• Religion does not investigate and does not question

• Spirituality questions everything

• Religion is based on humanity, an organization with rules

• Spirituality is DIVINE, WITHOUT rules

• Religion is cause for division

• Spirituality is cause for union

• Religion seeks you so that you create

• Spirituality causes you to seek

• Religion continues the teachings of a sacred book

• Spirituality seeks the sacredness in all the books

• Religion is fed fear

• Spirituality is fed confidence

• Religion lives you in your thoughts

• Spirituality lives in your conscience

• Religion is in charge of the "to do"

• Spirituality is in charge of the "to BE"

• Religion is a dialectic

• Spirituality is logic

• Religion feeds the ego

• Spirituality makes you transcend

• Religion makes you renounce yourself to the world

• Spirituality makes you live with God, not to renounce him

• Religion is adoration

• Spirituality is meditation

• Religion is to continue adapting to the psychology of a template

• Spirituality is individuality.

• Religion dreams of glory and paradise

• Spirituality makes you live it here and now

• Religion lives in the past and in the future

• Spirituality lives in the present, in the here and now

• Religion lives in the confinement of your memory

• Spirituality is LIBERTY in AWARENESS.

• Religion believes in the eternal life

• Spirituality makes you conscious of all that is

• Religion gives you promises for the after-life

• Spirituality gives you the light to find God in your inner self, in this life, in the present, in the here and the now…

Who said anything about influence, what I posts shows Catholic doctrine preaching tolerance of other religions, both other Christians and non Christians.

I don't see much tolerance in the second statement.

In an ideal world, maybe we could all be as tolerant of other peoples' political views as well as their spiritual ones.

I don't see much tolerance in the second statement.

In an ideal world, maybe we could all be as tolerant of other peoples' political views as well as their spiritual ones.

So modern progressives don't have a habit of not just disagreeing with other's positions, but of also making it as if the position is unjustifiable in any way?

Marty -

I am no more going to make judgements about anyone's political view than I would their religious views.

People find their own paths in life, and I have met as many incredibly intelligent people walking very different paths. I've met some very bright communists, and a few very bright fascists. I've also met some people whose views were closer to my own, but who I thought were very stupid. There are no patterns or links between politics and intelligence that I can see.

I don't understand making blanket judgements of any group.

The truly non religious are usually pleasant, tolerant, people who are nice to be around. They don't really think about or care about what anybody else believes and do not judge others based on their religious beliefs. They can attend church or synagogue with their friends or family, enjoy the music or lesson or pomp and circumstance or whatever. They can embrace the spirit of Christmas or Easter and thoroughly enjoy all the great traditional hymns and traditions. They could care less if Christians enjoy putting up a crèche on the courthouse lawn or in the town square, and a prayer before football games or other gatherings bothers them not in the least. They don't believe what many others who do these things believe, but they can appreciate how important it is to some others and don't fault them for it.

They judge people by how they live and by how they treat others and not by how politically correct they are and/or what they profess.

I know a few Atheists and I know a lot of Christians who hold pretty much the same attitudes and demonstrate the same degree of tolerance. It was once the norm as opposed to the political correctness police and demand for group think that has forced so much toxicity into modern society.

Congratulations on being such a wonderful person, unlike the rest of us who can only stare in awe of you.

Forum List

Back