Religion: Real or Fake

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Armadillo, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Armadillo

Armadillo BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I've believed in and blindly followed Christianity my entire life. However I must say that the atheists may have a point. Think about it, if an individual in contemporary society claimed to be the son/daughter of God, would you believe him/her? Many people have claimed to be the son/daughter of God since Jesus, and while some of them had small cult followings, they were never widely accepted as having any relation to God, biological or otherwise. So what makes Jesus Christ so special? Was he just a crazy person who said he was the son of God? Was he just hungry for power and so he impersonated a deity? Or was he the real deal?

Also look at what the Bible says, if God and his disciples love and forgive all, then why do the people who wrote the Bible claim that God hates LGBT individuals? (Corinthians 6:9-10 - "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.") Also, why do those who wrote the Bible also claim God hated women? (Duet 25:11,12 "If a woman grabs a man's privates during a fight, her hand is to be cut off.") Of course, I am not claiming that every word in the Bible is directly from God, but these two instances show some form of hidden set of beliefs that the writers of the Bible wanted to force upon others claiming it's what God wants.

Religion is also a great tool to control people. Religion makes the best slaves, ones who think they are free. Religion was good in the early days of humanity, when people often committed barbaric deeds without remorse (which sadly happens from time to time in the modern world), however now that we have governments that actually work, there is not much need for religious control anymore. I'm not saying I'm an atheist, nor am I a strict Christian (I don't even have a denomination or go to church or have ever read a Bible), but one cannot deny the logic of the atheists. The Bible speaks of seemingly impossible events occurring, which could not have occurred in real life, and many religious ideas have been disproved by science. So is it time that we as people stop believing in fairy tales? Or is religion real?

2. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    yes

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    I wonder how many of the self professed true believers really believe or are they just hedging their bets just in case.

4. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    The way I see it is like this... You may have heard this before somewhere else because it is not my original thoughts but I agree with it. I believe in God. If I'm wrong and there is no God, I've looked and sounded pretty silly all of my life. I can live with that. However, if there truly is a God, those that do not believe and frequently slander His name are going to be in some pretty deep shit come Judgement Day. I guess it's what your willing to bet. How much is your soul worth to you?

5. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,023
    anyone who truly doesn't believe WHO THINKS they are hedging their bets by saying they do, are in for a big surprise imho....better to be honest, and just say they don't believe...or are unsure or are atheist, again, in my opinion....

6. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    I would say that is some pretty good advice...

7. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,877
    Fake and silly.

8. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807

They are going along and doing what is expected of them.
    It is much more difficult to go against the flow.

9. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I agree. I am a non believer but if you believe you must walk the talk if you expect to get the reward. At least that is my take on it.

10. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,023
    You know, this may be hard to believe, but I didn't always walk the straight and narrow uscit, and I still don't....and I still have lots of room for improvement....I am not going to get in to the nitty gritty of it, but just trust me on that.....

However, I would like to believe, if I had died during that ''disappointing to God period'' of my life, that God would have shown Mercy on me, and taken me in, anyway.

I hope and pray we are not judged solely on actions....

I admit, I have done my best to repent and change....NOT because I fear the pains of hell, but because I just don't feel good, when I know I have failed at what God has asked of me....so what comes first, the chicken or the egg? Repentance or forgiveness? For me, it was believing that my sins were undeservedly forgiven, that made me want to repent....that gave me the courage to repent....the knowledge that someone could be so loving and merciful to forgive, made me want to change....

My Father (in Heaven) loved me, like the Prodigal son who went astray....how could I not love and honor Him in return?