Religion is evil

Status
Not open for further replies.
KarlMarx said:
so according to some people, these things cannot exist since they haven't been observed or proven

Wow, hold on there buddy. I might have said "God does not exist" because it's a perfectly reasonable assumption to make considering the lack of irrefutable evidence. God could very well exist, noone truly knows.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
kal-el said:
Wow, hold on there buddy. I might have said "God does not exist" because it's a perfectly reasonable assumption to make considering the lack of irrefutable evidence. God could very well exist, noone truly knows.

I don't think he meant you, specifically.

Kal-el, do you believe that earth is the only planet of it's kind, or that it's possible there is another solar system with another planet perfectly situated to sustain life somewhere else in the universe that we just haven't discovered yet?

CLOSED

1. Mr. P's original topic was ignored after about post #10.
2. This thread has turned into a 'kal-el vs. the board' thread, and nothing good can come of that.

Kal-el, glad you found the board - welcome. A small piece of advice: act cordial and somewhat intelligent, and you'll get cordial and somewhat intelligent conversation back. Post in a condescending manner (which you have), and you'll get condescension back.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
kal-el said:
It probably was, but I wasn't here then, so it's irrelevant. There's 3 verses (1 Timothy 2:12, 1 Corinthians 11:8-10, and 1 Corinthians 14:34) where god shows intolerance towards females, there's 4 verses (Numbers 31:15-18, Hosea 13:16, Isiah 13:15-16, and Exodus 12:29-30) in which it depicts your "loving" god as a brutal serial killer. What the hell happened to the 6th commandment? I think he makes Osama look like a boy scout!

Some more attrocities and the reasons behind them from he Old Testament. Of course I don't expect you to grasp this as it is much easier for you to not be religious by citing the Old Testament in a way that you think gives you a convenient reason to hate God, but here goes anyway..Lets face it it's so much easier to hate God and do whatever the hell we want than have character, admire him and live by a few good principals...

"Thus says the Lord of hosts, '...go and strike Amalek and utterly destroy all that he has, and do not spare him; but put to death both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.'"
-- from I Samuel 15:2-3, NASB

What is clear from history is that these so-called innocent Amalekite babies were part of a self-perpetuating system of evil that often defied description.
Ancient sects and nations like the Amalekites would often heat up an idol like Molech with fire until it was glowing. Then they would take their newborn babies, place them on the arms of the idol, and watch them burn to death. (Source: New Bible Dictionary, Tyndale, 1962.) At other times they would kill disabled, weak, and elderly people without so much as a second thought (Deuteronomy 25:17-18). So yes God sought retribution as is his right since he created the world... Even if it called for infantcide.

The Amalekites were not nice people. They were utterly and totally depraved. Their mission was to destroy Israel. In other words, to commit genocide... Much like what is happening today.. The destruction of their nation was seen as necessary by God by the gravity of their sin. Had some hardcore offspring survived, they might have resumed their aggression against the Israelites and God's plan.

God said to Israel, "I am using you here in this war as an instrument of my judgment upon this nation, and I'm bringing my violence upon this unbelievably wicked people... I'm going to have them destroyed" (Deuteronomy 13:12-17).

He said, "I am calling you out of my grace to be a holy nation. I'm tearing down in order to build something new, and out of what I build new, a holy nation, I'm going to bless all of the peoples in the world. Therefore, I want you to be separated, and I don't want any of the influences of this pagan heritage to be mixed into my new nation that I'm establishing." That is the reason (God) gives. People still choke on it, but if God is, indeed, holy -- as I think he is -- and we are as disobedient as I know we are, I think we ought to be able to handle that. Another example.

From Exodus 34: 6-7

Then the Lord passed by in front of him and proclaimed, "The Lord, the Lord God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth; who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations."

Meaning what sins we commit are sometimes foisted onto others. A current theme on the board here is no one lives in a bubble, what we do affects others as well both in a positive way and a negative way.

Genisis 2 and 3

The effects of this first sin upon our first parents themselves were...

(1) "shame, a sense of degradation and pollution; (2) dread of the displeasure of God, or a sense of guilt, and the consequent desire to hide from his presence. These effects were unavoidable. They prove the loss not only of innocence but of original righteousness, and, with it, of the favor and fellowship of God. The state therefore to which Adam was reduced by his disobedience, so far as his subjective condition is concerned, was analogous to that of the fallen angels. He was entirely and absolutely ruined" (Hodge's Theology).

But the unbelief and disobedience of our first parents brought not only on themselves this misery and ruin, it entailed also the same sad consequences on all their descendants.

The guilt, i.e., liability to punishment, of that sin comes by imputation upon all men, because all were represented by Adam in the covenant of works (q.v.). (See IMPUTATION.)

Hence, also, all his descendants inherit a corrupt nature. In all by nature there is an inherent and prevailing tendency to sin. This universal depravity is taught by universal experience. All men sin as soon as they are capable of moral actions. The testimony of the Scriptures to the same effect is most abundant (Romans 1; 2; 3:1-19, etc.).

This innate depravity is total: we are by nature "dead in trespasses and sins," and must be "born again" before we can enter into the kingdom (John 3:7, etc.).

Resulting from this "corruption of our whole nature" is our absolute moral inability to change our nature or to obey the law of God.

Commenting on John 9:3, Ryle well remarks:

"A deep and instructive principle lies in these words. They surely throw some light on that great question, the origin of evil. God has thought fit to allow evil to exist in order that he may have a platform for showing his mercy, grace, and compassion.

If man had never fallen there would have been no opportunity of showing divine mercy. But by permitting evil, mysterious as it seems, God's works of grace, mercy, and wisdom in saving sinners have been wonderfully manifested to all his creatures. The redeeming of the church of elect sinners is the means of 'showing to principalities and powers the manifold wisdom of God' (Eph. 3:10). Without the Fall we should have known nothing of the Cross and the Gospel."

The Old Testament ends with God's people back in their land, but living under the oppression of a pagan nation. The last prophets of the Old Testament looked to the future for a return of the divine warrior who would come and destroy their enemies, bringing them back their freedom (Dan. 7; Zech. 14).

So finally God sends his son Jesus to suffer and die horribly allowing for us to attain a bit of heaven on this earth and hopefully abundant heaven after we pass on.

You do remember Jesus right, the fictitous character in that comic book known as the New Testament.

God is holy and good but he's also not a doormat and does expect certain things from us.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back